Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shapeways Reviews

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has ordered any parts ( ie wheels, engines parts etc ) through 3D Model Specialties by Ron Olsen from Shapeways as I was thinking to place a order for some ? I’ve read some general Shapeways reviews and there’s quite a mixture of good and bad.

If so whats the quality like ?

Thanks 

I've ordered several pro mod bodies and a couple of chassis/roll cage from them.The detail and quality,to me,are excellent.However you can get the bodies or parts in two different finishes,one being frosted white material.FUD frosted ultra detail,Which is smooth and doesn't require much sanding.And the other finish is rough,Stong flexible plastic.And that requires a lot of sanding and prepping.However,there is a large price difference between the two different finishes.https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/paint-on-frost-extrem-details-parts.75917/...I just really like their pro mod cars bodies they carry.Ive only ordered the rough material,because like I said there is a big price difference in the two different 3D printed materials,and I can't really afford the difference in prices..All their cars and parts come in several different scales..I really like their parts and bodies..And I don't mind the sanding and prepping.You will save a lot of money going with the rough plastic material..I must say that I have never seen such a great selection of pro mod cars,and drag parts..I hope this helps..Good luck.. 

On 3/19/2018 at 9:06 AM, Immortal Chips said:

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has ordered any parts ( ie wheels, engines parts etc ) through 3D Model Specialties by Ron Olsen from Shapeways as I was thinking to place a order for some ? I’ve read some general Shapeways reviews and there’s quite a mixture of good and bad.

If so whats the quality like ?

Thanks 

Ive got allot of Rons stuff, I actually won the 1/12 project contest a while back and used my winnings to buy a bunch more lol. I only order in FUD or Ultra frosted detail., the quality is great. with the regular flexible white plastic its a bit grainy or textured, but most of his stuff in FUD is paint ready right out of the box. His design work is excellent and to scale, I havent gotten a part that I wasnt happy with.

2 hours ago, mademan said:

Ive got allot of Rons stuff, I actually won the 1/12 project contest a while back and used my winnings to buy a bunch more lol. I only order in FUD or Ultra frosted detail., the quality is great. with the regular flexible white plastic its a bit grainy or textured, but most of his stuff in FUD is paint ready right out of the box. His design work is excellent and to scale, I havent gotten a part that I wasnt happy with.

how is the surface on small parts like carbs?

Here's a few more Jeff. The White Arias heads illustrate what Mike is explaining above. You can barely make out the ARIAS on the white material. However I have other white stuff that is better. But the clear stuff is definitely the best.

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_7054.jpg

IMG_7055.jpg

One aspect of Shapeways' "quality" is the quality of the individual vendors' 3D models (something Shapeways doesn't have much control over; it's up to the individual content creators to try and make items that print well, don't break and fit together properly). I haven't ordered from Ron Olsen, but the Shapeways materials are consistent across all vendors on the site, so if you like the look of the parts he offers, give them a try!

Another aspect is the materials themselves, and for scale models I'd highly recommend Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD) or Frosted Extreme Detail (FXD). The cheaper White Strong Flexible (WSF) material has a rough finish, as shown by Pat above. It's more suited to, say, scale concrete blocks. 

FUD and FXD are fairly fragile--these materials behave a bit like clear resin or clear styrene, in that they fracture if dropped or cut with a dull blade. These materials can be carved, sawed, drilled, and sanded. If the parts are on sprues, I use a razor saw to remove them rather than clippers or an x-acto blade (which can fracture the sprue and either take a chip out of the part, or send it flying across the room!)

With FUD, it helps to seal the parts with a layer or two of Future (which also starts to level out the stepping/layers in the print), then apply a healthy coat of primer and give the parts a light sanding to further level them out--in particular if you plan on getting a very glossy finish in the end (ie, chrome).

Here are a few photos of items I've ordered from my own Shapeways store (full disclosure--I sell stuff there). I'm still experimenting,and so far I've found that spot application of Tamiya Surface Primer (the brush-on stuff) can be quite effective, and with some careful sanding parts can become smooth enough to chrome with a Molotow pen.

3DPartsTests_Oct102017small-vi.jpg