Model Cars Magazine Forum

All 15 Varieties of 1932 Ford - Sedan Delivery - June 30

Phildaupho

My local car modelling buddies and me are putting together a model display comprising of all 15 varieties of the 1932 Ford for the huge Deuce Days car show in Victoria BC Canada July 2019. The models will represent all the body styles in near stock configuration but will all be hot rodded to some extent like the hundreds of Deuces coming to Victoria for the outdoor car show. As for the models, six of the 15 will come directly from kits issued over the years from AMT and Revell/Monogram including the Roadster, Phaeton, 3-Window, 5-Window, 2-Door Sedan and Victoria. The Sedan Delivery is easily derived from the 2-Door Sedan. Most of these versions have already been built. Star Models has a really nice resin 4-Door Sedan and Jimmy Flintstone has a resin B-400. The other varieties will require conversions with some being rather complex. There used to be a resin Panel but is no longer readily available so a new body may have to be fabricated based on the Revell ’37 panel kit. The Cabriolet and Sports Coupe could be fabricated by combining the 1/24 Rev/Mon Model A Cabriolet and Deuce Roadster kits or fashioned from the Revell 1/25 ’32 5-Window. I have started work on the other varieties and will do separate posts on each as part of this thread. I would be interested in reading your opinions and seeing photos of the Deuce body style builds not available as a kit.

image.png.a5225af1a211b808e5c2836d346d6003.pngimage.png.8e15173c5a87d64aefb51534cb1b1daa.png

Edited by Phildaupho

'32 Woody aka Station Wagon 

Body from Revell 1/24 Model A Woody with cowl, hood, grill shell and fenders from Revell 1/24 Deuce Roadster. As with the full scale woody I am going to use real birch plywood for the panels. Deuce Station Wagons were only available with the steel parts of the body painted one of three shades of tan with black fenders so this one will have the same color scheme.

image.png.7b7129c8ee30c670235e4b5e9298d0b4.png

'32 Cab [Closed] Pickup

Based on Lindberg/AMT ’34 Pickup with Revell 32 Hood and grill shell. The upper molding and back of cab needs to be removed. I could find worldwide production numbers for all the ’32 Ford varieties except the Closed–Cab pickup

image.png.28a5e95cb9301a51ad94fc87891ddea7.pngimage.png.75f9ded3f0c6da48ee26eeebc671937a.png

'32 Roadster [Open] Pickup

Based on Lindberg/AMT ’34 Pickup. Roof removed with Revell 32 cowl, windshield, hood and grill shell. Had to stretch the body forward of the doors to match the cowl. An interesting fact is that the Open-Cab Pickups had a removable roof that did not fold although it resembled one.

image.png.70214149dc3280df4a8ddb64f9e45188.png

Ambitious project!

Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland offers a Cabriolet, Sport Coupe and a closed cab Pickup. They all fit the Revell '32 series kits.

While simply putting a '32 grill and hood on a '34 truck will save a bunch of work, the '34 has a 6-inch longer wheel base than a '32 making the fenders more centered on the bed. On a '32 truck the fenders are heavily offset towards the front of the bed.

Also, my dad owned a legit '32 Roadster Pickup for 20 years. The cab shares nothing in common with the passenger car Roadster body sheet metal. It also shared nothing in common with the closed cab sheet metal except for the subframe and gas tank seat base. But, you're correct about the fixed position up-top. It didn't fold and had to be removed entirely if one wanted to go topless. 

26 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Ambitious project!

Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland offers a Cabriolet, Sport Coupe and a closed cab Pickup. They all fit the Revell '32 series kits.

While simply putting a '32 grill and hood on a '34 truck will save a bunch of work, the '34 has a 6-inch longer wheel base than a '32 making the fenders more centered on the bed. On a '32 truck the fenders are heavily offset towards the front of the bed.

Also, my dad owned a legit '32 Roadster Pickup for 20 years. The cab shares nothing in common with the passenger car Roadster body sheet metal. It also shared nothing in common with the closed cab sheet metal except for the subframe and gas tank seat base. But, you're correct about the fixed position up-top. It didn't fold and had to be removed entirely if one wanted to go topless. 

Thanks Denis - I knew I would learn something new about this subject after posting this topic. There will be plenty of Deuce experts at the show so I am sure the display will generate lots of conversation but because it is a display more for the general public I was not going for total accuracy. I just want to give people an idea of the amazing number and variety of body styles offered of the 32' Ford over just 9 months. That being said I am going to contact Norm Veber at R&M to order the Cabriolet and Sports Coupe.

1 hour ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I had a spare set of fenders so after consulting profile photos of a 32 pickup I shortened the running boards by a scale 6 inches.

image.png.79516550a5f1ea8138fccb86e5b11e84.png

Hi, I've been working my way through the Deuce body styles as well.  I believe the AMT kits represent sectioned bodies, therefore I have a resin body from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland for when I build a Vicky.  I'm going at it a slightly different way than your display with each of my builds representing a different build style, colour and engine.  I'm sure I'll be checking on this thread again - lots of interesting facts and models will be appearing!  Here are the Replica's '32 Cabriolet and Pickup that I have built:

ProstreetPickup.jpg

32FordCabriolet.jpg

6 hours ago, Jim Whalen said:

Hi, I've been working my way through the Deuce body styles as well.  I believe the AMT kits represent sectioned bodies, therefore I have a resin body from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland for when I build a Vicky.  I'm going at it a slightly different way than your display with each of my builds representing a different build style, colour and engine.  I'm sure I'll be checking on this thread again - lots of interesting facts and models will be appearing!  Here are the Replica's '32 Cabriolet and Pickup that I have built:

Those are two gorgeous Deuces. R&M produce superior products and I have an email to them regarding resin bodies.

As a HUGE 32 Ford fan I will be following. While I can tell you are more than capable of doing your own conversion work (that Station Wagon/Woody looks incredible) here are the Rep+Min bodies for the Sport Coupe and Cabriolet (mastered by myself and Lyle Willits respectively)

B 36B 36B 36

B 37B 37

B 37

Edited by Mr. Metallic

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

As a HUGE 32 Ford fan I will be following. While I can tell you are more than capable of doing your own conversion work (that Station Wagon/Woody looks incredible) here are the Rep+Min bodies for the Sport Coupe and Cabriolet (mastered by myself and Lyle Willits respectively)

Thanks Craig - Although I enjoy doing conversions for me close counts but I have done conversions and then found out that a kit is going to be released of that car or a resin body is available. You and Lyle did such a fabulous job on the Cabriolet and Sports Coupe I just have to order them.

10 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Heard from Norm Veber Mr. Replicas & Miniatures today that the Cabriolet and Sports Coupe resin bodies are no longer available. The 1/1's  were not huge sellers back in the day and I guess the resin bodies were not either. Too bad as they were very classy versions of the Deuce.

12 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Heard from Norm Veber Mr. Replicas & Miniatures today that the Cabriolet and Sports Coupe resin bodies are no longer available. The 1/1's  were not huge sellers back in the day and I guess the resin bodies were not either. Too bad as they were very classy versions of the Deuce.

That's a bummer, pretty sure they are in the catalog I got from him in the fall. But, you got it straight from the horses mouth. Glad I got a couple of each before they were gone.

I am also on a quest to eventually build every body style available from Ford in 1932(and a few phantoms along the way). They have all been available for the Revell kit line at some point, so the quest continues for the harder to get ones (like the panel delivery)

57 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

That's a bummer, pretty sure they are in the catalog I got from him in the fall. But, you got it straight from the horses mouth. Glad I got a couple of each before they were gone.

I am also on a quest to eventually build every body style available from Ford in 1932(and a few phantoms along the way). They have all been available for the Revell kit line at some point, so the quest continues for the harder to get ones (like the panel delivery)

I did not ask Norm about the 32 Pickup so not sure about that one but below is what he said about Deuce bodies he currently offers and I did see the Cabriolet and Sports Coupe in what I think was my most recent R&M price list. As far as I know the panel delivery is no longer being cast by the original producer. Apparently there is a 32 Ford 1/25 diecast piggy bank panel delivery out there. Otherwise one could be fabricated with a lot of slicing and dicing of a 37 panel.

Norm Veber says - There are 4 of the '32 bodies currently available.
All are ment to work with the newer Revell kits.

B-19   '32 Sedan Delivery
B-24   '32 Vicky
RH-4  '32 3-window chopped body (discontinuing this one, due to sales falling off!) & molds are worn out.
RH-5 & 5A  '32 Roadster Body with Duvall Windshield (RH-5) & with the Doane Spencer Hardtop (RH-5A).

B-36 and B-37 were discontinued years ago, when Revell came out with their 5-window coupe kit.

The resin 1932 Ford Panel Truck is no longer available new so I decided to try to fabricate one myself. Most of the body comes from the Revell ’37 Ford Panel with the lower forward part of the body from a Revell ’32 5-Window and the cab section from a Lindberg ’34 Ford Pickup. I was surprised how much rear overhang there is but it proportions closely to the 1/1 Panel. The rear panel lines of the side doors will have to be filled and scribed and after a lot of puttying there will be numerous trim alterations.image.png.05b0864a798f53667f2606e5b537991d.pngimage.png.af275979a749bc11cbdb1ab42d35ea5a.png