Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC El Camino with cool little dirt bike

18 minutes ago, Craig Irwin said:

I guess I'm the odd man here, I'd like the ElCamino (Spanish for "The Camino"if anyone remembers that line) but have no interest in the bike.

I'd like it more if the 'Camino could be built stock. I have most of the El Camino kits years and it sure would be nice if this one had a stock front end. Might have to get one and try my hand at a conversion.

35 minutes ago, Craig Irwin said:

I guess I'm the odd man here, I'd like the ElCamino (Spanish for "The Camino"if anyone remembers that line) but have no interest in the bike.

Actually it's spanish for "The Road" .

15 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I'd like it more if the 'Camino could be built stock. I have most of the El Camino kits years and it sure would be nice if this one had a stock front end. Might have to get one and try my hand at a conversion.

There's a vendor on Ebay that sells the stock front end conversion . :)

...and no mention of its outdate-even-by-1986-standards SBC / TH-200 combo ? I'm not familiar with the year-to-year cosmetic changes of the El Camino , nor do I really care that MPC ( et al. ) dropped the ball on its cosmetic updates ; I'm just happy to see an 80's Elky reissued .

LS3 / 4L60E conversion , anyone ? 

I've never owned this particular version of the El Camino. The closest I have is a '79 promo. I like the Choo Choo Customs SS front end and the mini bike. So I may have to finally buy one. The only thing I'm not keen on, is it says it's molded in black. I'd prefer if they also offered it in white. I'm also not keen on the Choo Choo Customs graphics. I wonder if the kit still includes SS decals too? 

6 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

This can be built stock because it IS a stock El Camino and IS a stock front end for the SS version. Just because it is the run of the mill El Camino with a Malibu nose doesn't mean it's not stock. 

5719181813_250346eb57_b.jpg.e922b89218fc50c81d8767c29e1d5dbd.jpg

8 hours ago, highway said:

This can be built stock because it IS a stock El Camino and IS a stock front end for the SS version. Just because it is the run of the mill El Camino with a Malibu nose doesn't mean it's not stock. 

5719181813_250346eb57_b.jpg.e922b89218fc50c81d8767c29e1d5dbd.jpg

Technically it is a conversion vehicle done by an outside contractor who had an agreement with GM to do these vehicles as well as vans, Suburbans, Blazers and Pickups. Not every dealer had these for sale, only those that chose to carry them as well as the aforementioned vehicles. In other words, it's like a Yenko Camaro or Nova from the 60's/70's.

My statement still stands, if it had the stock "FACTORY INSTALLED" front end treatment, I would be more interested in this kit.

1 minute ago, mikemodeler said:

Thanks Rob, I couldn't remember which kit it was that had the correct FACTORY front end on it. Would be nice to see this kit again.

The box art is hideous, but the stock front bumper is included.  I've got one in my stash.   Though  I do prefer the SS front end over the boring stock front..

Just now, Rob Hall said:

The box art is hideous, but the stock front bumper is included.  I've got one in my stash.   Though  I do prefer the SS front end over the boring stock front..

Wanna trade? I prefer the stock over the SS. Let me know, happy to trade, I will even leave the mini bike in the kit if you want it!

4 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Wanna trade? I prefer the stock over the SS. Let me know, happy to trade, I will even leave the mini bike in the kit if you want it!

Nah, I want to build it eventually..I've got most of the MPC El Camino annuals.   I can't recall if I have the Branding Iron version w/ the rear cap, too bad that part wasn't included in later issues.

Went on eBay to see what the new reissue of this kit was going for. About $35 with shipping. Instead I bought a brand new copy of the reissue for under $20 with shipping. For that $15 difference, one does not get the mini bike. But, you do get the kit molded in white plastic. White plastic vs. mini bike and black plastic? Plus a savings of $15? I do hope the mini bike will eventually show up in another future kit. One molded in white plastic.