Model Cars Magazine Forum

WTH! Someone paid $2600 for a pre-built model. Why?

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

It is, and how it works , so if you really want something badly, putting in a stupid high max bid is the sure fire way you will win :lol:

That's how I roll.

I don't bother with playing the "bidding in $1.00 or $5.00 increments" nonsense.

I place one bid.

The maximum that I am willing to pay........done!

Sometimes I lose, sometimes I get a pretty good deal.

Makes little difference to me one way or the other.

On the subject at hand, I say, more power to them.

If there are people willing to pay ridiculous money for a built kit, great.

I hope that someday when I decide to liquidate my collection, I can get a few bucks for my builds. :P

Steve

Anyone ever take a look at the models built by Juha Airio? His builds look amazing. With his attention to scale fidelity and realism, his cars look absolutely real - only smaller. His subject matter is always unique too. So if you want one, his is usually the only way you're going to get it. Factor in the fact that there are some people out there with more money than talent and time to build and you're looking at a potential market for these art pieces.

I don't know if he sells his projects, but if he did, I'm sure he'd get that much or more. They're that good!

Gives us all something to aspire to.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's how I roll.

I don't bother with playing the "bidding in $1.00 or $5.00 increments" nonsense.

I place one bid.

I hope that someday when I decide to liquidate my collection, I can get a few bucks for my builds. :P

Steve

I dont blame you Steve, Ive grown tired of bidding on Ebay, you never know if you are bidding against real people or a second Ebay account from the seller doing the shill bidding game,  I try myself to stick to only BIN listings now, but for those times , I do the same, I put the highest amount I want to pay and let it roll if I dont really care,  But if its something I do want, I will snipe.

15 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Yes, a good builder can get good bucks for his builds on e-bay. 

But it takes time to build up a customer base willing to pay those bucks and a unique model to sell.

A Falcon wagon can go for big money BUT A mice build of a common kit like a '57 Chevy for example would have to be a really excellent build to even get your money back out of it.

Mice building models of '57 Chevys? I might pay some decent money for that. ?

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's how I roll.

I place one bid.

Steve

Yours look every bit as good or better as that one.

16 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

The rarity of the kit also has something to do with the price, as does the original cost of a kit. Harry's Pocher built-ups could probably hit that price range.

No doubt, but those Poocher kits start out kinda pricey to begin with. I would think if Harry was still here and needed cash he MIGHT consider selling them, but he had so much time and pride invested in them I can see why he would be reluctant to do so.

Whether one builds a kit or buys it completed doesn't matter to me, as long as they enjoy the hobby! Same thing in the 1:1 world- some people can build their own cars and others have the means to buy one, that is why guys like Dave Kindig and Chip Foose are in business.

For me, I would never quit my current job to become a model builder. I happen to have the luxury of working from home. My work desk is connected to my model desk in the same room, so as I work, I am working on my models. So, I am getting paid by my employer as I work on my models. I talk on the phone doing technical support. So, often times I can sit and work between phone calls, or work on stuff as I talk  to the customer or wait for them to do what I asked them to do.

If I did build models and sell them, it would only be to supplement my income, not replace it. Way too risky and would take away any fun. So, if I only made $5 an hour, no big deal, I am still getting paid by my regular job during that time anyway. 

2 hours ago, Xingu said:

Go to a local car show and snap photos of the cars. Recreate them and go back the following year and setup a vendor table. I bet you could sell a bunch of them and for a nice profit.

Doubtful. If a fella goes to the show with $500 in his pockets, he's headed for the swap meet. Also, a person who goes to ebay looking for a "pro-built" model, he's got an understanding of what he's likely to pay. Joe Hot Rod at the show just sees a painted $20 model kit and is unlikely to shell out to get one. Back in the 90's I had the same idea as you. So I asked around my local shows (100's of owners) and got one client. I got a meager $250 for 40+ hours work, and the model lasted exactly one weekend with the new owner. He went to a show, opened the hood and set the model on the air cleaner. He spent the evening, closed the hood, drove home. He called me the next day asking if I knew a chemical to get melted enamel off the aluminum intake.

These guys who make big $ on ebay, (generally) do first rate work. They have built up a reputation and have usual customers (with deep pockets) who collect their work as art. Likely they are retired, using this to suppliment their income. 

I sold off a bunch of built 1/48 airplane models on eBay when I moved house. The standout success was an Aeroclub (somewhat obscure limited run manufacturer) Chipmunk (aircraft flown in by many Air Training Corps cadets). They were all built to the same (reasonable but not genius) standard. What made the difference was the fact that it was unusual and that it meant something to a wider audience. Still, it barely paid minimum wage for the hours I’d spent!

best,

M.

I've looked this auction over and over.  Looks to me like a perfect storm.  Buyer '1' (the second highest bidder) put in an absurdly high bid early on to assure he would win (I'm sure he didn't anticipate anyone bidding against him to go above, say $100-$150).  Bidder '2' (the winner?) came in and sniped at the last minute with an even MORE absurdly high bid.  The language from his computer desk would have been paint-peeling when he realized that he had 'won'. He's now on the hook for $2600 and change.  I've been waiting to see this for years.  That model will be back up at auction soon, because of non-paying bidders

I've seen this builder before...does an awesome job...it did take him quite awhile to get his customer base...him and Paul Herrick regularly build fantastic models! Paul has done masters for the Modelhaus...

3 hours ago, Deano said:

I've looked this auction over and over.  Looks to me like a perfect storm.  Buyer '1' (the second highest bidder) put in an absurdly high bid early on to assure he would win (I'm sure he didn't anticipate anyone bidding against him to go above, say $100-$150).  Bidder '2' (the winner?) came in and sniped at the last minute with an even MORE absurdly high bid.  The language from his computer desk would have been paint-peeling when he realized that he had 'won'. He's now on the hook for $2600 and change.  I've been waiting to see this for years.  That model will be back up at auction soon, because of non-paying bidders

I really see this being the case.

Should not be surprised at high prices asked for outstanding work. Very often model makers (yes even very good ones) often undersell their work, so the market for finished work becomes undermined. I have often seen Pocher models that are being sold built up going for not much more than the kit process currently being asked and thus undervalued considering the work in building them to a high standard.

A lot of Poachers however get attempted by novices who give up part way through the build because they have bitten a bit more off than they can chew.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

23 hours ago, Sixx said:

I've seen this builder before...does an awesome job...it did take him quite awhile to get his customer base...him and Paul Herrick regularly build fantastic models! Paul has done masters for the Modelhaus...

Here's everything this seller has sold on eBay as far back as I can search:

auctions.thumb.jpg.e19b0b976219a6558f78cee43e11c2c2.jpg

In business I've met a lot of high earners. People in the top of their field and have worked hard to get there.  And they have money to spend.

It goes like this..     

Most of us can spend $26.07 on a model without thinking about it.

Some of us can spend $260.70 on a model without hurting our monthly finances.

And some people can write a check for $2607.07 and it doesn't matter.  For that guy,  $2607.07  is like  $26.07 to you and I.

And admire the people who build and sell these models.  They've worked hard to achieve that status and following. 

The K70 was 11 years old;  both Valiants were 15 when I bought them in '85 and '86. Both Slant-6's seized. When I towed the '72 to the junkyard, I asked the guy "how much?" He said, "50 bucks." I said that was better than nothing. He came back with, "No, that's what I'm gonna charge you for taking that piece of s**t."

My wife & I remember this seller from quite awhile back...when I was selling slot car bodies on ebay...he started out by practically giving them away...$20 here, maybe $40 for the next one...etc...I applaud him! The most I've gotten for a body is my avatar pic...Revell's pro-mod 55 Chevy...painted & decaled , $275...I say, if ya can do it, go for it! Me...if I had $2600 laying around, I'd be paying some bills! Lol!

Edited by Sixx