[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

    • Dave Ambrose

      Board Status   07/20/2018

      Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
Oldmopars

WTH! Someone paid $2600 for a pre-built model. Why?

Recommended Posts

I'm about to try selling some of my built models. I certainly wouldn't use the term "professionally built" when describing them but they've all been well received on this site. Nor would I expect anything like the $$$ achieved by people like Paul Hettick.  

My main concern is how to package them so that they arrive in one piece - I could see that aspect being the major stumbling block. 

Can anyone who has done this comment on their experiences with packaging/postage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For $2,600 I'd deliver it to your house :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

For $2,600 I'd deliver it to your house :P

Gerald Wingrove will fly to your house with one of his, but then the last time I read about one of his models the price was around $25,000 and that was in the 1990s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, peekay said:

I'm about to try selling some of my built models. I certainly wouldn't use the term "professionally built" when describing them but they've all been well received on this site. Nor would I expect anything like the $$$ achieved by people like Paul Hettick.  

My main concern is how to package them so that they arrive in one piece - I could see that aspect being the major stumbling block. 

Can anyone who has done this comment on their experiences with packaging/postage?

I once sent a Monogram Duesenberg through the post to Malta from the UK. First wrap model in a thin film plastic bag such as a shirt bag from dry cleaners being very careful not to crunch it. Next another bag similar, don't tape it. lots of tissue paper then bubble wrap until the whole package is about 5ins around, firm but not tightly wrapped. If you now wish to tape the wrapping in place, mark on the tape where the tape is then find a box around 6ins deep at least or square at the minimum. Once inside the outer box pack it with screwed up newspaper to take up larger areas, maybe add shredded paper but if using the shredded type make sure it cannot get on the model or into the packing. The packed model should not be allowed to move in the box but not overpacked as to be too tight. Any movement inside the box could allow the model to move and parts break off. 
Well thats how I sent my parcel and it arrived ok unbroken. 

The thing you cannot control is the postal operator and how they handle your items. Personally I never write FRAGILE on anything just in case my courier has had a bad day :(

I would add that if listing on something like eBay or whatever in the description add that parts may break off during carriage, a well built model with minimal glue that looks stunning on the shelf may be far more delicate than the glue bomb built by an excited schoolboy back in the 60s ;)

J

Edited by HotRodaSaurus
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HotRodaSaurus said:

Gerald Wingrove will fly to your house with one of his, but then the last time I read about one of his models the price was around $25,000 and that was in the 1990s

For $25,000.00, I'll "walk" to your house! :)

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now