Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2016 Camaro SS

THarrison351

So, I picked this up last year to go along with the other pre-painted kits I continue to collect and build. Unlike the Revell kits which only paint the bodies, this one has other parts painted kind of like the old Pro Shop kits years ago. The mold for the body is not super polished. You can see tiny scratches under the fine paint. I'm not complaining, I didn't have to paint it. The kit goes together very well. Parts fit almost like a snap together. Some of the holes need to be enlarged to get them to go together without damage. It would have been nice to have some type of hinge for the hood or something to keep it on. I wish they had not put side windows in the window assembly. I could have attempted to cut them, but it's very thick and I just don't have the patience anymore. The defroster grid and black paint was a nice touch, so that's a positive. Well, here it is. Oh yeah, they included the rear back up sensors, but forgot the locks in the door handles. So I just drilled a small indent and painted them.

IMG 0004

The headlight reflectors come all silver, which is prototypically wrong. They're black with a bright chromey whitish LED boomerang at the bottom and the turn signal lens is clear with an orange background. I did that on these, but the thick lens distorts it at this angle

IMG 0002

The wheels are a little bright as finished, but I don't have any paint on hand that really matches the factory color. I did highlight them with a Molotow pen, but it doesn't show in the pictures.

IMG 0001

Person who cut the license away from the sprue did a hack job, sheesh. Thanks AMT. 

IMG 0005

Interior is pretty nice, but you can hardly see it though these tiny windows. I test drove one of these Camaros and being a tall person, I can say it is one hard car to see out of from any angle but straight ahead. Even that is kind of compromised. It's kind of like driving one of the old Hot Rods with the mail slot windows type chopped roof.

IMG 0007

The paint I added for the inner fenders was very unhappy. I did wash it in Dawn before painting with Testors 1 coat lacquer. It still fisheyed. Good for the shelf. Hah hah.

IMG 0008

So, the chassis is really nice. It's not completely correct, but the rear suspension makes up for it. There are even exhaust hangers. Surprisingly its missing the two large black plastic covers that go from the center tunnel to the rockers and there is no evidence of heat shielding for the exhaust. Oh well, something for those who like to create their own details.

IMG 0009

Edited by THarrison351

Very, VERY nice! I just finished the snap version and can relate to everything you said. Mine was molded in a pearly red and looks nice but pales (literally) next to your pre-painted (and the pre-painted Revell 2013). Getting the windows in was the hardest part--one of the hardest modeling jobs I've done recently, in fact. They just DID NOT want to go in. I was just about to give up and cut the side windows off when I gave it one last try and they finally snapped into place. I wish I had hit the lower edge of the side glass with a black Sharpie because I've now got a bright "fiber optic" line at the bottom of the side windows. 

Yours looks great. Well done and model on! B)