Model Cars Magazine Forum

dose toys r us have model kits?

You might want to check your local store.

There seems to be nothing about kits on the website, but while watching the news coverage tonight about the store closings, I distinctly saw a few model car kits sitting in the background in the video they showed.

I would not be surprised if some individual stores do carry a few.

Steve

The Toys R Us store here in Nashua, NH had maybe one or two kits that where related to a movie brand at one time, but that was all they had.  They never seemed to have had anything that was really model related.  I only went there because my grandson loves Legos, until recently when his interest started changing.

They haven't had a "kit area" on the shelves for many years.  Around fifteen years ago, they had an "end cap display" (freestanding temporary cardboard display) of pre-Round 2 AMT car kits around Christmastime, but that was pretty much a one-shot deal.  Last year I spotted a couple of AMT Ecto-1A kits among the 1/24 scale diecast, again no "permanent" kit selection.  Even when they did have them, the selection was middle--of-the-road bland, like Walmart used to have.  No toy store around here has had a go-to kit selection since Child World, and they're long gone.   

My guess would be that they will check every corner of the backrooms and warehouses and if there is something there to push out on to the sales floor, they will. Being in bankruptcy will force them to sell EVERYTHING to satisfy the creditors.

While they haven't had a regular section for models in a long time, might be some old stuff getting ready to be sold. I am guessing whatever leftover toys there are will end up at Ollie's.

7 hours ago, Mark said:

They haven't had a "kit area" on the shelves for many years.  Around fifteen years ago, they had an "end cap display" (freestanding temporary cardboard display) of pre-Round 2 AMT car kits around Christmastime, but that was pretty much a one-shot deal.  Last year I spotted a couple of AMT Ecto-1A kits among the 1/24 scale diecast, again no "permanent" kit selection.  Even when they did have them, the selection was middle--of-the-road bland, like Walmart used to have.  No toy store around here has had a go-to kit selection since Child World, and they're long gone.   

Kay Bee toys used to have a store in the discount mall in Conroe. With toys R Us closing said they might make a comeback. The close out store was a great place to buy $5.00 dollar kits. Once saw a table full of John Force kits and wish I would have bought the whole lot.

I do indeed remember the cardboard isle displays TRU had for various AMT kits and PL pre painted kits like 65 Cornet and 04 GTO about 12 years ago. Some locations back around 7 years ago had sections near the die cast cars for Revell Snap-Tites but they were the evergreen ones like PT snoozer and VW bug with SRPs of 27.99 IIRC, which was absurd when the craft stores had the same kits less than that at SRP and even cheaper with coupons. 

Last my Dad and I went to the nearest TRU about a year ago (out of his curiosity for spotting any 1/64th Greenlight diecast trucks on deep markdown), only two models I saw near the diecasts were the AMT Ghostbusters Ecto 1 and a Revell F&F 1999 Honda Civic. They didn't have any clearance stickers but yet the Ecto 1 rung up 22.99 on clearance while the Civic was 19.99 clearance, which was more than HL had for them with ether 40 off coupons or when HL marked them down to around 8.75.

Funny how Toys R Us griped about competition and Amazon causing their demise, yet poor business decisions (including a buyout that led to piling on debt) and cooperates taking the money and running for the gold jets and Las Vegas trips also didn't help ether.

Edited by RickRollerLT1

When I worked at a suburban Los Angeles TRU 4 years ago, we didn't carry any kits at our particular store. You could, however, order certain kits through our website. I distinctly remember the Revell 1977 GMC pickup being one of them. Apart from that, the only kits I've ever seen recently at some stores have been the above mentioned Ecto 1, Revell 1999 Civic, and the Revell Snap and Play Mustangs. 

• 2 months later...

Does anybody else but me remember when TRU was more like a warehouse than the boutique it is now?

I remember as a kid and even as a young adult, going in the "Entrance only" doors which directed you almost to the middle of the store where the straight rows of floor to ceiling racks would display just about every toy (and model kit) imaginable. As a child, it was a treat to be taken there to get a toy or to make that list for Santa.

I still remember the amazement I had when I'd open Santa's presents on Christmas day and find a ToysRUs sticker on the box. I thought - "That store is sooo big that even Santa shops there!" I guess it was easier than having his elves run the plastic machinery to make the toys himself.

Alas, it's all gone now. Actually, I've been expecting it for decades. They haven't had that much selection since they got rid of Geoffrey the giraffe. ?

Oh I think they stopped selling models several years even before Amazon was an idea.I remember I used to buy all the pro stock cars,and Kenny Bernstein's funny cars,along with a tube of Testors glue...Ah the good old days.<_<