Model Cars Magazine Forum

dose toys r us have model kits?

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yea,I remember Child World,Play land,and Lionel city kiddie toys.Along with KB hobbies.Which was more toys,than anything.

KB hobbies?  Not KB Toys?  I remember KB Toys stores in New England area.  Smaller stores than Toys R Us or Child World.  Or maybe it was KB Toys & Hobbies.  The last one closed down in early 2000s. I bought few silly toys for bargain prices. I still have a singing Spongebob Squarepants in my office.

5 hours ago, peteski said:

KB hobbies?  Not KB Toys?  I remember KB Toys stores in New England area.  Smaller stores than Toys R Us or Child World.  Or maybe it was KB Toys & Hobbies.  The last one closed down in early 2000s. I bought few silly toys for bargain prices. I still have a singing Spongebob Squarepants in my office.

Yup you are right,it was KB Toys.

The UK stores were dreary anyway despite not selling model kits. The way you were guided through passage ways into and out of the stores made you feel as though you could not be trusted! Staff were generally indifferent and the ones I spoke to lacked product knowledge. Not surprised they went to the wall!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

4 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Toys R Us is defunct. :(  I don't recall ever seeing models in one, been going to them off and on since the late 80s.

They did have them (never a fantastic selection as I recall).  They got out of kits in the late Nineties around here.  For some reason they had a boatload of AMT/Ertl new-tool '57 Chevy kits at the time, every version that was available (basic, Pro Shop, Coca-Cola, and street machine versions).  They blew them out at $3.33 apiece.  I snagged all of the Pro Shop ones, probably ten or twelve in all.  I've got one, maybe two left that I didn't resell later on.  After that, they had a limited selection in a free-standing display at Christmas time for a few years.  I did see a couple of AMT Ecto-1A kits scattered among the diecast cars in recent years, that's about it. 

1 minute ago, Mark said:

They did have them (never a fantastic selection as I recall).  They got out of kits in the late Nineties around here.  For some reason they had a boatload of AMT/Ertl new-tool '57 Chevy kits at the time, every version that was available (basic, Pro Shop, Coca-Cola, and street machine versions).  They blew them out at $3.33 apiece.  I snagged all of the Pro Shop ones, probably ten or twelve in all.  I've got one, maybe two left that I didn't resell later on.  After that, they had a limited selection in a free-standing display at Christmas time for a few years.  I did see a couple of AMT Ecto-1A kits scattered among the diecast cars in recent years, that's about it. 

Hmmm...that jogged a memory, I recall at one retailer seeing AMT kits packaged like 4 different kits together in a bundle, maybe around Christmas...not sure if it was TRU, been at least 20 years.. 

And, oddly, the other day I saw a story about the owners of the K-B Toys name thinking about reviving that brand.  They claim to be looking into doing it in a way that avoids both Toys "R Us' missteps, as well as their own past mistakes.  If it happens, I'd guess it would be as a mainly-online store, with a brick-and-mortar outlet here and there...

I got one or two Tamiya Grand Cherokees at Toys R Us during their blowout sale - got them for around $10.

I remember seeing a diecast 1/24 Chevrolet Colorado at a K-B Toys years ago. Still kicking myself for not picking it up.

No they didn't sell any in the UK and yes they have all shut as the UK arm went bust about 12 months ago. The latest CEO said it was probably because they refused to go digital and open a trading website in the UK.