Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Chrysler Imperial. 12/4, Finished!!

StevenGuthmiller

This is the second of my "old project Resurrection" builds.

This one also had a bad paint job & was left for dead quite some time back.

But it's stripped now & ready to be brought back to life.

It will be a curbside build & I'm going with "Sunburst" for a color, which is a pale yellow.

I thought that it sounded like a nice unusual color for an Imperial. :)

This one needs a bit of work before priming.

Mostly a bit of filling, sanding & scribing.

As I had planned on the original build, I'm going with the standard trunk lid instead of the spare tire bulge.

I think that it will make it look a little cleaner.

Steve

2v2JAGsPMxwUbWP.jpg2v2JAGsRjxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

15 hours ago, dimaxion said:

The "Toilet Lid" was it optional or standard ? The "Contineltal Look" was the rage then .

I don't know a lot about the particulars of the "toilet seat", but in my little bit of research, I'm finding quite a few photos of Imperials without it.

So regardless, I've decided that it gives it a cleaner look without it, so I think that's where I'm headed.

Steve

Thanks much guys!

I'm really starting to get the itch for this one again.

The best part about it is that it should be a relatively quick curbside build.

The most time consuming part will be re-scribing nearly all of the trim!

The moldings are pretty faint in this kit, especially the side spear, so I figured that in order to make the foiling go easier, I had better do some scribing.

I'm doing it to nearly every piece of trim on the car, so it's going to take a while.

I have it about half way done now & then I need to fab the trim on the deck lid, do some filling & then it should be ready to prime.

Back to the bench! :)

Steve

Here is the color that I plan on using

This can of Duplicolor touch up paint is probably 30 years old!

Hopefully it will not give me any trouble. :unsure:

2v2JBUC7WxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

• 5 months later...

I decided that I was getting a little burnt out on my '63 Plymouth, so I thought that it might be a good time to resume a little work on this one.

I scribed in all of the trim & them proceeded to try to address a couple of details before shooting some paint.

The hood ornament on this kit is right where a runner connected the body to the sprue, so it left a little to be desired.

So I just tried to add a little more detail to that.

I'm leaving the "toilet seat" spare tire cover off of the trunk, so I needed to add a trunk ornament along with a spear.

Hopefully some primer dust will be in the air very soon!

Steve

2v2J5ogEyxwUbWP.jpg  

2v2J5ogCjxwUbWP.jpg

As a member of the Winnipeg Model Car Club, I know Steven's builds, oh man are they ever sweet! Each year our club picks the "Best Road Car" at the NNL North, and Steven has won a couple of times and we've been in awe of his detailed factory stock builds every time.

This Imperial will be another beauty I'm sure, it's already cool, a hardtop and a smooth paint job, can't wait to see it after Steven details it.

2 hours ago, dino246gt said:

As a member of the Winnipeg Model Car Club, I know Steven's builds, oh man are they ever sweet! Each year our club picks the "Best Road Car" at the NNL North, and Steven has won a couple of times and we've been in awe of his detailed factory stock builds every time.

This Imperial will be another beauty I'm sure, it's already cool, a hardtop and a smooth paint job, can't wait to see it after Steven details it.

Thanks Dennis!

This one will just be another curbside build designed to get me out of my current slump.

I need to finish something every now and then or I get really lazy! :)

I foiled the scripts & shot the final color coat last night & it looks pretty good.

But I think I will still give it a few coats of clear.

About the only extras on this project will be simple changes to enhance the appearance, such as drilling out the headlights & adding a set of wire wheels.

Steve

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Perfect choice for the yellow paint. Classy without being too flashy or "Hot Rod". Fits the theme of this car.

May I suggest yellow and white for the interior? Or a muted tan or saddle. But not black, this ain't no muscle car!

I think I will go with a sort of Chrysler 300 theme.

Light tan with very dark charcoal gray dash, steering wheel & rear package shelf with black carpet.

Steve