Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gloss Custom Transparent Black Issues

I purchased a spray can of Testors Gloss Custom Transparent Black and was attempting to create tinted windows.  My first attempt on some clear taillight covers from the junk box came out great after two light coats.  However when I tried some car windows the results were not nearly as good.

I laid down the first thin coat perfectly, however I wanted a slightly darker tint, so just like the taillights I put a second thin coat on.  It looked fine going down, but when I went back to see how it turned out... well it looks all spotty now.

20180322_210116.jpg.709b6f40db1d9d1aa774e0cdd9335c1e.jpg

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

What did I do wrong, so I don't make the same mistake again??

Thanks

Thanks rsxse240, I will give that a try.

Update: I cleaned the tint off and polished the clear parts real well.  When I put a clear coat of gloss on the window it seemed to give it a frosted look.  I let it dry and then a thin coat of tint over top of it. Now it looks almost the same, but with a frosted look to it.

I am at a loss here. I painted some taillights from a different kit with two (2) coats of the transparent black and they look great. However theses windows from this kit seem like they will not accept this paint.  Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Edited by pcm1977
Update on results suggested by another user

Update...3/24

I cleaned the paint off with paint thinner and repainted the windows.  After about 3 very light coats they are looking good and when I showed my son this evening and he pointed out that I have been painting on the wrong side of the glass.  If I look from the other side they look pretty sharp...not perfect but could pass as tinted windows. Will try to post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks