Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Eaglemoss Delorean WIP

DrZero

• 1 month later...

Work in the interior has commenced and I'm finding the details pretty accurate so far. One pleasant surprise was finding out the seats are made of vinyl with a foam backing so that they actually feel like real seats…

1h5h9i0m.jpg

NyyO0HZm.jpg

DApkbxgm.jpg

Most of the assembly of the interior is pretty straight forward. One exception has been the wiring!

KZzNeNhm.jpg

To be fair it’s not as painstaking as it looks and the wires on the dashboard are all for decoration (these aren’t the wires the power all the lights.) So you can man-handle them and not worry about breaking anything electrical.

S0xKtS9m.jpg

EpNkOqNm.jpg

kI81yTrm.jpg

Starting to look real enough to travel through time with.

Man, I'm thinking how great some authentic Eagle GTs would look on Monogram's 1/8 '82 Z-28, but I don't know if those are even the right size.  Eh, well. Rabbit-hole thinking anyway. B)

Nice work and thanks for sharing, Dr Z!  A question if I may: there's been some speculation on Eaglemoss's service elsewhere, and I'm trying to determine if it's a larger number of squeaky wheels on on their Facebook page or just a few really loud ones.  Have your subscriptions issues generally been on time and to your satisfaction, or no?  Any mystery charges from the company?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 4:15 PM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Man, I'm thinking how great some authentic Eagle GTs would look on Monogram's 1/8 '82 Z-28, but I don't know if those are even the right size.  Eh, well. Rabbit-hole thinking anyway. B)

Nice work and thanks for sharing, Dr Z!  A question if I may: there's been some speculation on Eaglemoss's service elsewhere, and I'm trying to determine if it's a larger number of squeaky wheels on on their Facebook page or just a few really loud ones.  Have your subscriptions issues generally been on time and to your satisfaction, or no?  Any mystery charges from the company?

Luckily I haven't had any problems with delivery or charges, but I am in the U.S. What I've gathered is that each country the kit is released in has its own distributor (not sure if their contracted or owned by EM) and some of the other countries do have problems. Australia's distributor filed for bankruptcy recently. 

I used to work in a magazine shop which required working with distributors, including many foreign periodicals, and some of them were really terrible. We'd get ones from France that were months old and out-of-date. Naturally some of that is the distances involved but my experience with them didn't impress me. And in the U.K. they still ship these EM issues to such magazine shops to sell - that blew my mind - given the cost and time involved in this kit I would rather my stuff is shipped to me and not a newsstand.  

I haven't had to deal with customer service much but they do send out emails; one such one was about the replacement transmission. It's usually get an email notifying you of your shipment being ready/payment taken and they arrive 5-6 days later. Pretty typical e-commerce experience.

I'll admit that some details (the flux capacitor that doesn't flux but is just a bright blue LED) are a bit disappointing. But it's a pretty impressive kit (atleast totally static with no lights on) and it does look like a massive metal Delorean. A lot of those squeaky wheels are also guys who are happy to spend another $150-200 on upgraded electronics - which do make the kit even better - but aren't super necessary. I'm hoping EM gets the hint and invests a bit more into future electronics for kits. I'm tempted to buy a Audrino Trinket and try programming it because technology has made it super easy to do that.

Besides, everyone here knows what comes with model kits. I think a lot of these guys aren't used to having to sand a bit or fiddle with fit until it's perfect. No - that comes with years of trimming parts off sprues and accidentally gluing parts to your digits. Full disclosure: I'm hoping EM doesn't botch things in the U.S. because they're working on an ECTO-1 that would be pretty sweet in 1/8 scale. Haha

On 12/1/2018 at 12:59 AM, brodie_83 said:

I'm a huge fan of DeLoreans and wanted to build one of these so bad, but I couldn't justify the price.

It is pretty awesome. I'd recommend the Sunstar if you're on a budget. It's a solid diecast that can be detailed easily.

On 12/2/2018 at 5:53 PM, Funkychiken said:

Your build is excellent, love the detail and weathering on the engine!

Thanks! I get to do even more engine weathering soon. Eaglemoss sent out replacement transmissions to correct for the automatic transmissions. The manual does look more accurate but the auto never really bothered me. Once I had a box of correct parts on my doorstep I had to do the swap.

Can't let a box of parts just sit there!

yWmOS1Sm.jpg
6hfuiTOm.jpg
hYpNtSim.jpg
UeNchOwm.jpg
3xX1Xdim.jpg

Wasn't too hard pulling the engine and swapping transmissions. Didn't have to tear down the engine all the way. Now it just needs some weathering.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the long pause without an update. Been waiting on some faux carpet material and it took a month to get here since it was coming from overseas.

Eaglemoss sent my the display base last week! It's even bigger than the Delorean is!

eaglemoss_delorean_base3-150x150.png

eaglemoss_delorean_base2-150x150.png

Its a mirrored base that will remained covered in its protective plastic til the kit is finished.

eaglemoss_delorean_base4-150x150.png

Have installed the faux carpeting (grey sticky-back velvet material.)

Eaglemoss_delorean_dash-150x150.png

Eaglemoss_delorean_base-150x150.png

I went with my own carpeting material instead of the die cut aftermarket parts offered by another builder. His are nice looking but I think the material he used has fibers that are too tall to be scale accurate. The stuff I found is similar to what jewelry boxes are covered in so the napping is much shorter.

To be honest either material improves the interior so long as it's the right shade of grey. I bought some darker grey material back in December and realized - after installing it - that it was just too dark. New stuff looks like a good match.

Edited by DrZero

7 minutes ago, martin9428 said:

Where did you get the carpet material?

I actually got both of the carpet materials on ebay. It was a 20cmx30cm light grey sheet of sticky backed velour from China. All the self adhesive velvet sheets in the U.S. were the darker grey that didn't match the interior. Both seemed to be the same level of quality and they were both pretty easy to cut/install.

At the moment I am working on Monograms 1:8 scale "Big T". I have been working on the engine block for the past three days, working on the seem lines and sanding, sanding, sanding and also on some of the other engine components, like the starter, oil filter and manifold as well as some of the other smaller stuff. I do have a build log started and will add my engine work once the block is painted.

When I'm done with the Big T, I have an AMT/ERTL 64-1/2 Mustand in 1:16 scale

Both of these models will be straight out of the box, with slight modifications. Most of the chrome on the Big T will be stripped as I'm making a sort of Rat Rod and not a Show Car.

On 2/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, martin9428 said:

At the moment I am working on Monograms 1:8 scale "Big T". I have been working on the engine block for the past three days, working on the seem lines and sanding, sanding, sanding and also on some of the other engine components, like the starter, oil filter and manifold as well as some of the other smaller stuff. I do have a build log started and will add my engine work once the block is painted.

When I'm done with the Big T, I have an AMT/ERTL 64-1/2 Mustand in 1:16 scale

Both of these models will be straight out of the box, with slight modifications. Most of the chrome on the Big T will be stripped as I'm making a sort of Rat Rod and not a Show Car.

Very cool. Flat black rat rod?

On 2/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, martin9428 said:

Chassis and axles will be flat black and the body and radiator will be a semi-gloss gray primer color, similar to what is shown on the box if you look at my build log topic, I believe I posted a cover picture

Cool. You going to use the moon hubcaps?

11 hours ago, jasoncamaro said:

I'm also building this I ordered the material for carpet from eBay like you said you did. Did you use making tape to make templates? 

Didn't use templates the first time - it's pretty easy to guess-timate how big a piece should be and then use a razor to cut off the excess as it's pushed/wrapped to the floor pan parts. I did use the carpeting as a template when I swapped out the carpet for a lighter grey material.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Continuing assembly but got a second nice surprise in April; the clear display case for the metal base Eaglemoss sent out the month prior. The case itself looks great and is designed to fit into the base so the final model is sealed from dust and grime.

Eaglemoss-Delorean-Display-Case-150x150.

Interior parts are about done so onto the frame and body panels!

Eaglemoss-Delorean-73-150x150.jpeg

Frame is made up of two large metal sub-assemblies that the panels and other parts attach to. I haven't installed the windshield yet because I'm trying to avoid having it get scratched or cracked while I add the body panels.

Eaglemoss-Delorean-76-150x150.jpeg

A few small door jam parts installed to the frame. The trunk features a working bonnet and the final assembly drops into the frame.

Eaglemoss-Delorean-71-150x150.jpeg

The trunk lid even has working strutts. Some guys are adding carpeting to the trunk interior but I think it looks pretty good as is (plus I don't plan on showing off the trunk that much.)

Eaglemoss-Delorean-72-150x150.jpeg

The bonnet lid is made up of several small parts and looks pretty accurate to the real Delorean parts.

Eaglemoss-Delorean-73-150x150.jpeg

Starting to look familar.

Eaglemoss-Delorean-75-150x150.jpeg

This side looks even better. Looks like a real Delorean frame from the assembly line.

Eaglemoss-Delorean-74-150x150.jpeg

Some of the brackets and rear quarter panel parts. This is an exciting part of the build to get to. Going forward, this will start looking a whole lot like the time machine. Plus, there's lots of neat componets to attach in the coming months: flux bands, the rear reactor area, and bringing the frame, interior and body altogether.

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 10:05 PM, vamach1 said:

Great Scott tha is cool.

Thanks. A cheap, simple upgrade and improvement from the stock LED.
I've had a chance to finish attaching the stainless steel panels to the body frame.

Eaglemoss-Delorean-78-150x150.jpg

Installed the DeLorean’s windshield since I've got the clear display case to protect the body while I continue the build.

Eaglemoss-Delorean-80-150x150.jpg

The windshield helps to complete the overall look.

Eaglemoss-Delorean-79-150x150.jpg

The door swing open and I’ve got the finish line in sight.