[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
DrZero

1/8 Eaglemoss Delorean WIP

watch?v=vxDsvaVoujcTime Lapse video of the frame and suspension build. Kinda shows the process and size a bit better than picture

Video

Work in the interior has commenced and I'm finding the details pretty accurate so far. One pleasant surprise was finding out the seats are made of vinyl with a foam backing so that they actually feel like real seats…

1h5h9i0m.jpg

NyyO0HZm.jpg

DApkbxgm.jpg

Most of the assembly of the interior is pretty straight forward. One exception has been the wiring!

KZzNeNhm.jpg

To be fair it’s not as painstaking as it looks and the wires on the dashboard are all for decoration (these aren’t the wires the power all the lights.) So you can man-handle them and not worry about breaking anything electrical.

S0xKtS9m.jpg

EpNkOqNm.jpg

kI81yTrm.jpg

Starting to look real enough to travel through time with.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:57 PM, Deuces said:

Wow.... 😎

Thanks! It's satisfying to see it start to resemble something familiar

Man, I'm thinking how great some authentic Eagle GTs would look on Monogram's 1/8 '82 Z-28, but I don't know if those are even the right size.  Eh, well. Rabbit-hole thinking anyway. B)

Nice work and thanks for sharing, Dr Z!  A question if I may: there's been some speculation on Eaglemoss's service elsewhere, and I'm trying to determine if it's a larger number of squeaky wheels on on their Facebook page or just a few really loud ones.  Have your subscriptions issues generally been on time and to your satisfaction, or no?  Any mystery charges from the company?

I'm a huge fan of DeLoreans and wanted to build one of these so bad, but I couldn't justify the price.

Your build is excellent, love the detail and weathering on the engine!

On 11/14/2018 at 4:15 PM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Man, I'm thinking how great some authentic Eagle GTs would look on Monogram's 1/8 '82 Z-28, but I don't know if those are even the right size.  Eh, well. Rabbit-hole thinking anyway. B)

Nice work and thanks for sharing, Dr Z!  A question if I may: there's been some speculation on Eaglemoss's service elsewhere, and I'm trying to determine if it's a larger number of squeaky wheels on on their Facebook page or just a few really loud ones.  Have your subscriptions issues generally been on time and to your satisfaction, or no?  Any mystery charges from the company?

Luckily I haven't had any problems with delivery or charges, but I am in the U.S. What I've gathered is that each country the kit is released in has its own distributor (not sure if their contracted or owned by EM) and some of the other countries do have problems. Australia's distributor filed for bankruptcy recently. 

I used to work in a magazine shop which required working with distributors, including many foreign periodicals, and some of them were really terrible. We'd get ones from France that were months old and out-of-date. Naturally some of that is the distances involved but my experience with them didn't impress me. And in the U.K. they still ship these EM issues to such magazine shops to sell - that blew my mind - given the cost and time involved in this kit I would rather my stuff is shipped to me and not a newsstand.  

I haven't had to deal with customer service much but they do send out emails; one such one was about the replacement transmission. It's usually get an email notifying you of your shipment being ready/payment taken and they arrive 5-6 days later. Pretty typical e-commerce experience.

I'll admit that some details (the flux capacitor that doesn't flux but is just a bright blue LED) are a bit disappointing. But it's a pretty impressive kit (atleast totally static with no lights on) and it does look like a massive metal Delorean. A lot of those squeaky wheels are also guys who are happy to spend another $150-200 on upgraded electronics - which do make the kit even better - but aren't super necessary. I'm hoping EM gets the hint and invests a bit more into future electronics for kits. I'm tempted to buy a Audrino Trinket and try programming it because technology has made it super easy to do that.

Besides, everyone here knows what comes with model kits. I think a lot of these guys aren't used to having to sand a bit or fiddle with fit until it's perfect. No - that comes with years of trimming parts off sprues and accidentally gluing parts to your digits. Full disclosure: I'm hoping EM doesn't botch things in the U.S. because they're working on an ECTO-1 that would be pretty sweet in 1/8 scale. Haha

On 12/1/2018 at 12:59 AM, brodie_83 said:

I'm a huge fan of DeLoreans and wanted to build one of these so bad, but I couldn't justify the price.

It is pretty awesome. I'd recommend the Sunstar if you're on a budget. It's a solid diecast that can be detailed easily.

On 12/2/2018 at 5:53 PM, Funkychiken said:

Your build is excellent, love the detail and weathering on the engine!

Thanks! I get to do even more engine weathering soon. Eaglemoss sent out replacement transmissions to correct for the automatic transmissions. The manual does look more accurate but the auto never really bothered me. Once I had a box of correct parts on my doorstep I had to do the swap.

Can't let a box of parts just sit there!

yWmOS1Sm.jpg
6hfuiTOm.jpg
hYpNtSim.jpg
UeNchOwm.jpg
3xX1Xdim.jpg

Wasn't too hard pulling the engine and swapping transmissions. Didn't have to tear down the engine all the way. Now it just needs some weathering.