Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Custom Vicky

Mr. Metallic

I've had this idea to build a 32 Ford in the style of the classic 32 Tudor Sedan Custom Rod from the AMT double kit. But, I wanted a different body style. Then I saw the very clean and well done sedan build by Mike Werry here on the Model Cars forum it showed me the direction I needed to take. So, here is my 32 Vicky Custom Rod (please don't mind the dislodged plexi insert)

Got a gluebomb 32 sedan and salvaged what I could. Then got my hands on an AMT Vicky body. Applied the custom fenders to the body, and then made an oval opening in the back for the taillights and license plate. Out front I wanted to try my hand at making a grille shell, so I took one of the custom front end pieces from the AMT 50 Ford and cut it in half. Then I spliced the pieces together and molded them into one piece. Applied the tudor radiator to the engine side, and stuck a parts box radiator on the inside of the shell. Lastly, with the planned improvements I was going to make to the interior, I wanted to be able to see it. So, I cut open the roof insert.

For the engine, I used the kit block, but added Weiand valve covers from the Tommy Ivo showboat, intake setup from the Revell 29 roadster Nailhead, and a prewired distributor from Morgan Automotive Detail. I even wired the engine in the correct firing order for once. Also used epoxy to make a glass cover for the gauge on the dashboard, and bent up some wire to simulate brake lines.

Rear suspension is relatively unchanged from the tudor kit, but added brake drums from an AMT 60 Starliner. Up front is an amalgam of parts. Dropped axle from the Mysterion, radius arms, steering box and tie rod from the Revell 29 roadster, and then scratchbuilt the steering links from plastic and straight pins. Shocks are from a Revell 32, and the low arch spring is from a R/M 37 Ford sedan. Brakes are Buick style from the Revell 29 roadster

To get the Tudor interior to fit the shorter Vicky body I cut almost and inch out of the middle and glued them back together. I added rib detail to the underside to dress it up after I sanded off the molded in details. In order to match the tuck and roll pattern on the seats and trans tunnel I spent about 2 weeks gluing tiny pieces of .030 rod to the sides of the tub. Arduous, but worth it in the end. Added a trim strip up the middle made from Evergreen and then topped it with grab handles from a Johan Mercedes Benz. Replicas and Miniatures handles. Under the dash I created a gauge cluster by chopping up a Corvette dash with epoxy lenses. The finishing touch was inspired by my good friend Randy Meyer(who was inspired by Ed Fluck). I obtained a sacrificial Vicky body and cut out the side window surrounds. I shaped them to fit inside the good body. This gave the inner windows some detail and provided a stop for the interior tub and front window frame.

Tires are from the Blue Bandito. The wheels are Radirs from a Polar Lights 64 GTO, with inner wheels from a Revell 32. The outer rear rims are from the Mysterion also.

MAMT 32 Ford sedan (6).JPG Mike Werry's sweet sedan, which provided some inspiration for this build. Thanks Mike!

Great looking Kustom from the "Angel Hair" era. Your interior looks perfect. I like how you included the Plexiglas Roof insert. While the Grill Shell looks heavy to my eye, that is the way it was done and you created the perfect look to go with your build. Very nice paint job.