Model Cars Magazine Forum

model king 72 blazer

I havent done any modelling is a few years now, but i have the model king 72 blazer kit. how is the quality of the build of this kit? in the past i didnt like AMT kits, but i liked the subject so i took a chance.

since i havent built a model in years, i dont want to start with one that is going to be a bad or poor fitting build

thanks

8 hours ago, youpey said:

since i havent built a model in years, i dont want to start with one that is going to be a bad or poor fitting build

5 hours ago, youpey said:

thanks. im going to go with the ramcharger instead

I would advise against that, based on your earlier comment. Are you wanting to build a Sport Utility type vehicle? If you can give us a little more info regarding what you'd like to build, we can try to help you find a few good candidates. There are some really nice kits available, but also some older kits which aren't all that enjoyable to build, even for experienced modelers, so hopefully we can help you find a kit you'll enjoy. :)

i would like to build a late 70's or early 80's 2 door sport utility. i have already built the revell bronco a while back, so i was looking to do a different one. 

i have started this morning with the prep on the ramcharger kit and already found the chassis was pretty warped in the front and that some of the pieces are going to be pretty wonky on how it is put together. i was able to correct the chassis in boiling water, but the rest of it will not be so easy

i dont mind putting the ramcharger away for a while if you have any good suggestions

18 hours ago, Casey said:

The Ramcharger isn't horrible, but there are better kits. Keep working on the Ramcharger and I'll see if I (and anyone else who might have suggestions) can come up with some options.

The 72 Blazer is crude but a better kit than the Ramcharger IMO. The quality of the kits from that era aren't that great but it's what we have to work with. My suggestion is to build them the best you can and use them to improve your skills.

• 1 month later...

The old ex-Monogram 1/24 Bronco is the easiest to build. I've done a few and they give the best results with the least amount of grief.

The Blazer is a fun old kit, but is a little fiddly, especially in the back area once you cut away the reinforcement sprue. I'd suggest dry fitting EVERYTHING before gluing and painting, so you can see how it'll go before you're committed. It looks great when done though. 

The Ramcharger is OK to build, but lacks in some locating points, especially the interior to body, so it can be a little frustrating to assemble. Again dry fitting will help prepare you for unexpected repairs or modifications before you paint stuff. I find the body to be a little boxy compared to the MPC Dodge pickup, but the only solution to that is MAJOR reconstruction and I don't recommend that if you're just starting out.

Hope this helps.