Model Cars Magazine Forum

STOP THE PRESS! All new 1977 Oldsmobile NASCAR kit

DanR

4When I worked in the electronics industry I saw products that came up short because somebody created an unrealistic dateline for making a show. The product failed to meet its potential because of that.

If this new company wants to impress everyone then they need to deal with these issues before pushing these kits out. Otherwise I see them not being successful. For the price they want they need to get.

Why is there never time to do things right the first time but always time to fix them. 

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Why is there never time to do things right the first time but always time to fix them. 

I agree, Bob.

Even with the leaf spring excuse (I'm not saying it's the truth or acceptable, but it's reality as of now.), it's short-sighted to release this kit without a truck arm rear end option. As-is, it only allows for a box stock build. I want to build the Hawaiian Tropic #1.

Tool up an optional setup, delay the release, and include it.

I won't be buying this $40 kit if it has leaf springs only. I'll wait for a proper Monte Carlo.

EDIT: Just saw this in a post on Randy Ayers Nascar board:

Yes The chassis was [based] off of Richard Petty’s 78 Monte Carlo he used Leaf springs to use up the remaining parts from the Magnum. We will include the new rear end on the Monte Carlo with an extra set of rear end parts that will be interchangeable and an easy fix. So you can build the Oldsmobile with the Leaf springs remove them later and put on the new rear parts when the Monte Carlo is released. Thank you for your attention to detail it’s builders like you that help us to improve!

Edited by Matt T.
additional info

Okay, that is a positive sign. It still leaves the wrong rear bumper and the body crease missing unresolved. That is not just a line down the side of the car, it is a bend where the shape of the side bends inward. You may add a line but hard to add a bend in the side shape of the car. Get it right, it is no harder to make it correct the first time around.

AXYHqyo.jpg

On 4/8/2018 at 1:32 AM, Casey said:

j1.jpg.923ee62fd67fcdeb3ac75c428598b2b6.jpg

j2.jpg.8444738ac0a2ec520c44e6f273b9b131.jpg

j3.jpg.6f301694ad5355119e5f3300b3217a58.jpg

j4.jpg.9bfb1defcc0b83d6ed262b436ab28c06.jpg

Where was it shown or stated the actual model would have leaf springs?

The Salvinos have stated as much on their Facebook page. They tried to claim the kit was done this way because the chassis is based on one Petty used, which was a leftover from one of his Dodge Magnums. This is bull honky for a couple of reasons: 1. Petty's Olds wasn't built by Petty Enterprises; the King purchased the car from Cecil Gordon. 2. There's no way NASCAR would have allowed the car on the track with leaf springs.

21 hours ago, Allen Wrench said:

The Salvinos have stated as much on their Facebook page. They tried to claim the kit was done this way because the chassis is based on one Petty used, which was a leftover from one of his Dodge Magnums. This is bull honky for a couple of reasons: 1. Petty's Olds wasn't built by Petty Enterprises; the King purchased the car from Cecil Gordon. 2. There's no way NASCAR would have allowed the car on the track with leaf springs.

Yes, my question has been answered. I missed the image on the side of the box.

The price is higher than normal and the kit may turn out to not be perfect, but if I can build a reasonable approximation of the 77 Olds without having to buy a resin body and a donor kit, I'm fine. Most of my builds are only ever seen by me and everything under the body is largely hidden. I appreciate the effort that Salvino is making to give us never produced kits. I'm willing to allow for some growing pains and support a new initiative for that reason alone. Just my two cents. 

23 hours ago, DanR said:

The price is higher than normal and the kit may turn out to not be perfect, but if I can build a reasonable approximation of the 77 Olds without having to buy a resin body and a donor kit, I'm fine. Most of my builds are only ever seen by me and everything under the body is largely hidden. I appreciate the effort that Salvino is making to give us never produced kits. I'm willing to allow for some growing pains and support a new initiative for that reason alone. Just my two cents. 

I don't see this as a growing pain, this is a more like a public relations nightmare, but on the other hand is there such a thing as bad publicity?

Anyway let us hope for them the market is forgiven and that dealers don't end up with lots of unsold stock, which can and will jeopardize the unfolding of their business plan.

Edited by Luc Janssens

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎08 at 12:07 PM, Casey said:

...One need only look at Trumpeter's similar foray into automotive kits to see what happens when a kit lacking in details and accuracy enters the market. Nobody can get away with "eh, close enough" or "well, we know it's not totally accurate, but..." in this day and age. Consumers have too many tools at their disposal to verify things, and multiple reference photos a few seconds away via Google.

Sad it is that it's still happening; add it to the pile that includes a recent release of a series of light commercial models with body shape problems worse than the trumpeter had  :wacko:

mike

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, '70 Grande said:

Has anyone heard any update for when these kits might start hitting the store shelves? 

One of the guys I buy kits from off FB sometimes has hinted that it's possible he's getting his shipment in this week. If I hear more I'll update.

EDIT....just found the post I was looking for, he was told that the kits would start shipping Tuesday (today). No confirmation on that yet tho.

Edited by Jhedir6

On 2018-04-10 at 12:23 PM, Allen Wrench said:

I had to chime in on this in regards to the Petty references. In 1978 when Petty decided to make the switch to Chevrolet he did buy a Monte Carlo from Cecil Gordon , they did NOT buy an Oldsmobile, the Olds was built in house at Petty Enterprises for the Daytona 500 in 1979. They used components that they were comfortable and experienced with, and by that time in NASCAR, it didn’t mater what suspension type was used as long as it was production based. In regards to the upcoming kit I will wait to pass judgement on it , and I will modify and Model it accordingly as I have done with any kit . Since I don’t like working with resin I would rather correct a plastic kit than pay twice for a body in resin that usually needs work as well . Let’s build some plastic boys!!!!

• 11 months later...

I am just glad to see someone building cars that were not produced. It does look like a 442 to me , It will be an awesome addition to my petty collection . As was the round headlight monte carlo was which I created the Bristol '78 Petty ride. Remember none of the manufacturers are perfect remember the polar lights Petty torino with the crazy front fenders. Kudos to a company who is trying new things.

To Salvinos credit they are asking for lots of input on their kits going forward.  The first OLDS 442 was a mess. Torsion bar and leaf springs were WRONG for the car modeled. BUT.......if you watch their videos of late they ask for and are getting lots of input to help make things better. 

One other thing they do need to get credit for is doing ALL of this in the USA.....something others said was impossible. 

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

How about the suspension, though..that was the big problem w/ the first issues.

Salvinos added a new tree a few kits back with coil single arm front suspension. They added GM truck trailing arms but they are under scale. 

AMT correct arms on left, Salvinos on the right. 

rear.JPG