Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Arca Toyota W.I.P.

MarkJ

I finished painting the body, and then found out that I had the rear bumper wrong. The only ref picture I had of the rear of the car was from preseason testing in primer or whatever they call it. So I assumed it was like that for racing.  At first, I wasn't going to change it, but then decided it was worth a try, so wish me luck that I don't completely mess it up. 

final2018shelwipsfirebu1.jpg

final2018shelwipsfirebu2.jpg

final2018shelwipsfirebu3.jpg

final2018shelwipsfirebu4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did the usual 1/8 inch lowering and cutting off 1/8 inch from the metal axles to get the tires tucked in under the fenders.

2018shelwiplomost1.jpg

2018shelwiplomost2.jpg

2018shelwiplomost3.jpg

2018shelwiplomost4.jpg

when you lower the front axle by drilling holes  1/8 of an inch higher than the ones already there, you have to cut the front part of the fake engine off to get the axle to come through to the other side.

2018shelwiplomost5.jpg

15 hours ago, Gary Davis said:

Great work Mark. Love watching your builds come to life!!

Thanks, Gary. I'm going to shoot the chassis parts today, but I'm going to use enamel thinned with lacquer and see how that works out. I saw a guy on you tube using it and he got spectacular results and it wasn't the guy that sells dvd's. I know I will have to wait longer before I can handle it again, but I hate to polish, and I want to see if this will be a viable way to shoot bodies. if not, the chassis on these cars are not very noticeable.

Made some quarter glasses out of clear styrene.

2018shelwipsinqugl1.jpg

2018shelwipsinqugl2.jpg

2018shelwipsinqugl3.jpg

2018shelwipsinqugl4.jpg

The glass does'nt fit exactly in the opening but I have to add a thin border around the glass that will hide any gaps. The border will be painted flat black. I made some naca duct decals for the quarter glasses. There are some tiny scratches in the glass but the future floor wax will smooth them out.

After the tires are dull coated, the decals will appear as any tire decal does, and the dull coat will seal the decal on to the tire, so it can be handled without worry of damaging the decal. 

2018shelwipsintide1.jpg

2018shelwipsintide2.jpg

Getting close to the end. Just need to install the tires to the chassis, and then the chassis to the body, and I can begin decaling the body. Shouldn't be too bad, because the car is white, so the decals are on clear sheets, and wont need to be trimmed out like white sheet decals are. The decals above are on a white sheet because their background is not white.

8 hours ago, bigryan18 said:

What kind of printer are you using to make your decals? I'm about to try and make my own on an inkjet printer and trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.

Ryan, Its a Brother MFC-J430W. 

• 2 weeks later...

Neil, that's great that you got to see that race in person. They are racing today at Michigan this afternoon on MAVTV channel 214 if you have directtv.  I'm hoping Sheldon can finally get that first win.  Here is the car at Daytona. I did the Talladega car.

2018sheltoy10.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

• 1 month later...