[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
cobraman

Trying a wooden model ship

This will be my first effort but won't be starting for a bit. This is a small cheap one I will start with. Didn't really want to start with one with sails and rigging but I got this one cheap. ( probably junk ) . I have a better kit on order but wanted to practice with a smaller and cheaper one. 5ab6f5955cbc9_picssaturdeay003.thumb.JPG.447d4eefbab53b2e2bc9e070d6fdfacb.JPG

I will be following along Ray..

Will be following. Know you will do a great job.

Ray,  looks like a good one to get the feel of things. 

I hope so. Will be another two weeks or so till I can start. I ordered a book that explains some tricks and tips ( I think ). I guess I will also need to order a plank bender.

Yep, the fun starts.  I never had one of those plank benders.

A staysail schooner, nice. Gonna follow this one.

If the models are anything like the real ones, any time you spend getting the frames just right will pay you back tenfold by the end of the project. It's a principle I've followed on a lot of projects, and it seems to be very true, almost regardless of context. 

I bought this book in hopes it will help me with my first build. I hope it does because I have a feeling I'm going to need a lot of help. :D

Your a brave man . Those look hard. Even the so called easy ones look hard. I’ll be learning from you. Love to try to build one but not skilled enough. I’m watching and learning. Good luck sir!

Ya know the old saying “ if I can do it , anyone can do it “ ?  It’s true , get a kit and dive right in . I knew nothing about these but there were guys here that helped me a lot . If you like a challenge or just get out of your comfort zone I can recommend trying one . 

Here us one I work on from time to time,the Artesania Latina Herminoe.

15244058445641319414926.jpg

That one looks huge ! No way I could tackle one like that !

yes it is a large model but the principles are the same!You might want to work up to something like this though.

Speaking of  large,check this out!

1524423364372-1821587010.jpg

Looks like a 2 year project , at least.

Hey, guys, those wooden ships are neat and I think a nice break from plastic projects.  I look forward to seeing more, Ray.  One day I'd like to try a wood model to represent my dad's J3 Cub that got destroyed in a tornado back in the fifties.  It was a lot of fun to go flying with him as a kid.😎

Actually it took me about 8 months!