Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Chevy Farm Truck

On 3/24/2018 at 11:13 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Wow Tyler!  Your rust technique is just fantastic. Especially the thinning on the edges of the front fenders, rust texture and color.   A plus!

The one suggestion I could make is that the wipers are almost non-existent on this kit.  At first I thought there were no wipers, then I blew up one of your photos and saw them there.  I actually ran up to the model room and pulled out an unbuilt kit. AMT really made those faint!   I would suggest you add some wipers, especially since you went to the trouble of putting wiper marks on the glass. I'd mount them slightly askew as they usually were in 1:1 too.  That would make the model absolutely perfect!

Thank you! I was kind of bummed about the faint wiper detail, but this was more or less just supposed to be a slump buster so I didn't want to go too crazy with it. Like every other supposed to be quick build, it got out of hand a bit lol.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:25 AM, 89AKurt said:

Excellent!  Love the subject, have built 3 of those kits.   The hay bales....... ~achoo~ ..... allergy season.  Love the turquoise too.  Did you use techniques from the Extreme Weathering book?

Thanks! No, but now that you mention it, I'll have to look into it. I tend to learn a lot lurking around the forums, reading magazines, and checking out various Facebook groups, but I've always had a real soft spot for a good old book. I just never knew there were such things.

On 3/28/2018 at 9:09 AM, fairlane1320 said:

Great work! How did you make the bales of hay?

On 4/4/2018 at 9:39 PM, Spex84 said:

Awesome weathering! Love the rust effects, paint fade, and stake bed.

I'd also love to know more about the hay bales.

....I keep wanting to believe this truck is the real thing and could drive off at any moment! Well done.

On 4/9/2018 at 4:04 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

X3

WE WANT TO KNOW HOW YOU MADE THE BALES OF HAY!!!!?

Seriously, this is a model that you have to get a tetanus shot after you pick it up.

Looks great!

Lol, sorry for the late reply guys. Hope you didn't think I was being rude. Anyway, the bales are actually pretty simple. As modelers, we always tend to overthink (or overpay) for things that in all actuality are right under our noses. I looked far and wide on the car, train, and military forums looking for bale tutorials. Nothing. Youtube? Some small scale stuff, but that's about it. I tried eBay and hobby shops to find pre-made bales that were even halfway affordable and still ended up with nothing.

Then, of all people, the girlfriend suggested cutting some of that green foam they use for floral decorations and covering it with something that looked like hay. So that's really it. Foam blocks, cut to size and shape, brushed with some glue, then covered with straw like material. I used a combination of cheap paintbrush bristles combined with some hobby grass I had laying around. A couple pieces of twine wrapped around and you're done.

Stay tuned for a little Ferguson TE20 tractor coming soon (maybe this week if all goes well). I think they'll make a good duo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks again guys!

On 6/25/2018 at 8:12 AM, christian-w said:

Just awesome! Fantastic.

Thank you for explaining how you made the hay. I understood it roughly. Maybe you'll do a "How to" sometimes?

I may be able to do that. I just met a few local guys that have had a club going for some time now, and they do live segments of their monthly meetings on Facebook. For this months meeting, in addition to several kit reviews, they're going to start including a short tips and tricks segment. Maybe I can convince them to give me some airtime in the near future lol.