Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Septic Truck AKA:"The Stool Bus"

So I decided to do the 2018 Cannonball. However the rules this year mandate an inline engine. So, I came up with a plan to do a White-Freightliner with a twist. 

The Cannonball is a coast to coast race, so I thought about what kind of vehicle would the Cops not really want to stop? How about a truck full of sewage? So, I am building a sewage truck/septic tank sucker/honey bucket truck. Its nick name is going to be The Stool Bus. 

So, as of now I have the kit. I started it today and I was able to add a turbo from an Italari Iveco kit. I figure even though its a septic truck, it could still use some more power.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

So, more progress. I was able to get the chassis put together for some mock up shots and I wanted to be sure the Turbo was going to work with the interior tub. I am going to need to massage it a little, but it fits pretty good. Because it is a septic truck, I do not want chrome stacks, so I am running the exhaust out and down so I can run a large muffler under the frame. You can see the down pipe in the pictures. The chrome valve covers will be removed and stripped, but I needed them there to fit the turbo. 

I also hit up the hardware store for some plumbing fittings. I got 2 pipe caps and a coupler. I need to shorten the coupler a little, but the 3 parts will get glued together and become the tank. It works out to a scale 5 foot 7in diameter, about what I have seen in the 1:1. 

Still undecided on the wheels, it is a commercial truck and they like to have a little flash, so I may just leave them chrome. The 1:1 truck seem to be a mix of both chrome/Aluminum and painted white. 

IMG_0249.jpgIMG_0250.jpgIMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0249.jpgIMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

I did some detailing on the engine, added some lines and the throttle linkage/spring. Also added a oil return line below the turbo. 

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Also cut down the PCV caps and coupler to make the tank. I need to do a lot of sanding, but the length looks good. I also need to build a frame for the tank. 

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more done on the Stool Bus. Due to being a septic truck, I did not want the stacks, I wanted a standard muffler, this required a little work turning 2 stacks into 1 muffler. Fitting it behind the tank and the trans was a pain.

IMG_0352.jpg

Then I did some work on the poo tank and the frame. I added the sight glasses and the bar for the lights. Working on the valve at the rear. I also added some ribs for the seams on the tank. 

IMG_0359.jpg

The Stool Bus is moving forward, I got more work done on the tank and the plumbing.

I added hinges and wing nuts to the top hatch, added steps to the side, I added bolts to the rear clean out port behind the valve and added a wire conduit up to the new light bar. I removed and cut down the light bar as it was too big.

I also worked on the pump and box that mounts it to the side of the frame, then added tubes to connect it to the tank. It is getting there and looking more like the rear thing.

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

12 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Nice work on the stool bus !

Are you going to post it in the Cannonball thread too ?

Yes, I will do that.

11 hours ago, El Roberto said:

Very nice work but how ya gonna make it smell authentic? 

I do have a nice big dog that would be more than happy to donate towards the cause. However, It won't reach you through he internet

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

That's crazy. Outstanding work.

Thank you. Its been fun

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

I do have a nice big dog that would be more than happy to donate towards the cause. However, It won't reach you through he internet

And I'm pretty thankful for that.  Mine are bad enough.