Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Septic Truck AKA:"The Stool Bus"

So, I made a little more progress on the Cab of the Stool Bus. I needed to figure out how to lower the headlights. I saw how some others did it, but just did not like the idea of cutting of the bumps and then cutting in the new recesses. So, I did it my own way. 

I basically made a box around the headlights, cutting wide at the bottom and tight to the headlights at the top. This way I could flip the parts side to side and they would lower the lights. See the pictures as it makes sense. 

Also, in the last picture you can see that I drilled out the vent below the headlight on the passenger side. I will be adding a fine mess screen after paint. 

Now I need to find some very very small rivets to add back the ones that got removed doing this mod. 

I am also thinking about removing the wipers, sanding back the window trim to fix the top of the cab(casting lines) then add back the trim. It is really poor and shallow anyway. Then get some PE wipers. 

oCmfQd+eToGdzJRr4qZS9Q.jpg

HhqNi6VwTcyTf0xkhBbGkg.jpg

7ZejfB1VSWaCL1zC79hX9w.jpg

j%aJXdjmRvqpTgQd+EJQoQ.jpg

i275XjB7QuartelYZbktDA.jpg

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

On 5/22/2018 at 9:22 PM, Oldmopars said:

So, I made a little more progress on the Cab of the Stool Bus. I needed to figure out how to lower the headlights. I saw how some others did it, but just did not like the idea of cutting of the bumps and then cutting in the new recesses. So, I did it my own way. 

I basically made a box around the headlights, cutting wide at the bottom and tight to the headlights at the top. This way I could flip the parts side to side and they would lower the lights. See the pictures as it makes sense. 

Also, in the last picture you can see that I drilled out the vent below the headlight on the passenger side. I will be adding a fine mess screen after paint. 

Now I need to find some very very small rivets to add back the ones that got removed doing this mod. 

I am also thinking about removing the wipers, sanding back the window trim to fix the top of the cab(casting lines) then add back the trim. It is really poor and shallow anyway. Then get some PE wipers. 

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

So you just switched the left side too the right side.

I plan to replace the rivets, just looking out for the best method right now. 

And yes, just swap the left side to the right side.

I could have got it a little lower, but this was the first time doing it. I will get the lower next time. 

You've done an amazing job on this little guy....What an awesome way to attack the headlights...Your cuts are pretty precise....I can't ever recall making such good cuts....I'm amazed....

And where'd you get that roll of chain....

Edited by kilrathy10

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 6:31 PM, kilrathy10 said:

You've done an amazing job on this little guy....What an awesome way to attack the headlights...Your cuts are pretty precise....I can't ever recall making such good cuts....I'm amazed....

And where'd you get that roll of chain....

Thank you, and I got the roll of chain at a Hobby Lobby. It is back with all the other jewelry making stuff. I found beads for detailing, wire and this cool chain. I like it because it already has a bit of weathered look to it. I figure after I drag it though a wash, it will look perfect. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 8:22 PM, Oldmopars said:

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

How did you cut the plastic so clean? Did you use a small saw?

7 hours ago, TheSDTrucker said:

How did you cut the plastic so clean? Did you use a small saw?

Yes, I used a normal Hobby type razor saw. I also scored with the back of a #11 where the saw would not go. Really was not that hard. 

• 1 month later...

More progress. I am finally getting to where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I still have a lot of work left, still need to do more weathering. I need to make some mirrors, put the visor on, paint the fuel tanks and the Poo hose. I need to get some tubing for the ends of the hose also for the fittings. 

Still need to hook up the tubing to the pump on the side, and paint the one hose, can't hook it up till I get the bed mounted though.

I weathered and detailed the engine, as you may know the kit is a non-turbo, I have converted it to a Turbo and went with a under frame muffler, all scratch built. 

Anyone recognize the phone number on the side? I have been creatively stealing decals from other kits to get the look I need. 

And yes, that is "Septic Juice" that is spilled all over the side. There will be some more in the future on the rear framework and hose. 

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

3 hours ago, Warren D said:

It's coming along nicely.  FWIW, the real trucks in this area are some of the cleanest on the road.

I know, however this is for the Cannonball run, and I wanted it to be "Dirty" as a Cop deterrent. Its part of the story