Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model shops in or near Boston MA

Yes, the Boston shop was Eric Fuch's Hobby Shop.  They had several satellite locations in the suburbs, and one in New Hampshire.  All long gone.

The spare Time Hobby Shop in Marlboro (or Marlborough) is one of only few left. And it is a good one. Highly recommended!  It is chock full of all sorts of kits, paints, tools, and aftermarket stuff. Lots of unique items too. It is one of those shops that has very narrow isles because they have so much stock.  It has to be experienced in person. Prices are pretty much MSRP, but some bargains can be found too. If you are a member of a model club, tell them at a checkout (and show them your club ID card if you have one) and they'll give you a discount. It is about 20 miles West of Boston, right on Route 20.  Just do a Google search for "spare time hobby shop marlborough" and check out http://www.sparetimeshop.com/

The other one I frequent is Hobby Emporium in Tyngsboro (or Tyngsborough). Also very plentiful stock of all sorts of kits.  This one has more widely spaced isles but still lots of goodies.  Prices are also similar to Spare Time Shop and they will also give you discount if you are member of a model club.  This one is about 35 miles northeast of Boston, Exit 36 of Route 3 North.  Again, Google search for "hobby emporium tyngsborugh" and check out https://www.hobbyemporiumtyngsborough.com/

There is also Hobby Bunker in Malden.  Much closer to Boston, but I have never been there. As I understand, it is geared mostly towards military and miniatures crowd.  Google search for "hobby bunker malden" and visit https://www.hobbybunker.com/

Edited by peteski

Hi Peteski,

Thanks for your reply - it is good to have a second person recommend the same shop.  Thanks for suggesting Hobby Emporium as well, I'll check their website.  I had found Hobby Bunker by doing some Google searches but didn't get the right vibe from it so I am pleased that this forum has once again shown how helpful its members are.

Spare time is a great shop. I've been to it a couple of times. I live south of Boston so it's quite a hike for me. But there is another shop Harry's Hobbies in Norton Ma. Great shop a little smaller than spare time but a great inventory that's 95% plastic kits. Two isles of car kits and one of military.  And they have a pretty good aftermarket selection and it is laid out by make i.e. Ford, Chevy etc. it's owned and operated by Harry and Katie they are always there and are both very friendly and knowlagable. Another shop is Hanson Hobbies in Hanson Ma. They don't have a lot of anything but do have a little bit of everything. Models, trains and rc stuff. 

Enjoy your trip

12 hours ago, IHSS said:

Spare time is a great shop. I've been to it a couple of times. I live south of Boston so it's quite a hike for me. But there is another shop Harry's Hobbies in Norton Ma. Great shop a little smaller than spare time but a great inventory that's 95% plastic kits. Two isles of car kits and one of military.  And they have a pretty good aftermarket selection and it is laid out by make i.e. Ford, Chevy etc. it's owned and operated by Harry and Katie they are always there and are both very friendly and knowlagable. Another shop is Hanson Hobbies in Hanson Ma. They don't have a lot of anything but do have a little bit of everything. Models, trains and rc stuff. 

Enjoy your trip

Thanks for the suggestions Jeff.  I'm looking forward to our trip (to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary), I went to Maine a couple of times when I was living in New Brunswick in the '70s but haven't been anywhere else in the U.S.  We're also going to see the Red Sox - I have been a fan of baseball since I was young and have never been to a Major League game (fortunately we have it on t.v. over here).  It will be good to look round a model shop in the U.S. as car modelling is bigger over there than it is here (although it is growing here).