Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 55 Corvette Gasser Done pictures

Johnt671

I just finished a 53 Vette stocker, and liked it so much that I wanted to do a gasser version. I went to the 55 because it already had some drag parts in the kit. I'm going for an early 60's look some what along the 53 Vette gasser Tijuana Taxi. There are videos of this car on youtube if you want to check it out. I was working on a 33 Willys gasser and found the chassis was a nice fit.

I found some of a tube front axle in my parts box and added it to the stock chassis of the Vette and used the kit rear suspension because I wouldn't be able to pull off using the Willy' parts.

20180321_153327[1].jpg

20180314_151329-1[1].jpg

20180319_184915[1].jpg

20180320_182328[1].jpg

Edited by Johnt671

On 3/28/2018 at 1:01 PM, Psychographic said:

Is it the pictures, or is the driver side of the body warped? You might want to look to see if it is before you get to far into the build.

It must be the pictures, the body is good.

46 minutes ago, Johnt671 said:

It must be the pictures, the body is good.

Those pics are very deceiving.

If you look at the spears on the side of the body and compare them to the seam at the back for the rear pan, it looks level on the passenger side but drops on the driver side in the pics.

Edited by Psychographic

You're right. I didn't look at both sides , and I now see from looking at the rear end  view that the tail light on the drivers side is lower. I'll have to see what I can do about this.. I was able to fix a badly warped pick up frame, so I'll see what I can do. Thanks for pointing it out.

On 3/29/2018 at 2:45 PM, Psychographic said:

Those pics are very deceiving.

If you look at the spears on the side of the body and compare them to the seam at the back for the rear pan, it looks level on the passenger side but drops on the driver side in the pics.

1 hour ago, Day 2 Muscle said:

The body in my kit is just like yours. I think I read that they are all this way?

Robert

I just checked an AMT 53 Corvette that I just made, and it's warped the same way. It looks like you're right.

I just finished the AMT '53 snapper, and the body is straight and quite nice. If you can't find a straight body elsewhere, that kit has it--but you'd have to cut the hood out if you want to convert it to full-detail. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:15 AM, Johnt671 said:

This one will be set aside until I see if I can make the body better or buy another kit just for the body.  :(

Sorry, I just wanted to point it out so you could fix it before you got to far along with it. I didn't want you to stop working on it.

5 hours ago, Psychographic said:

Sorry, I just wanted to point it out so you could fix it before you got to far along with it. I didn't want you to stop working on it.

No problem. I'm just setting it aside for a but and work on something else while I try to fix the body up. It's in progress now but will take a while if it's going to work. If it won't get better than it is I'll build it the way it is. I was getting close to painting the body, and I'm glad that you pointed the issue out before I painted it.

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2018 at 6:01 AM, PARTSMARTY said:

Looks cool !!!

On 6/4/2018 at 7:35 AM, Jantrix said:

I really like the look of this. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks. It's painted and foiled now. The chrome around the interior will be done with a Molotow marker. The dash is also done and since I didn't want to use the interior door panels on a drag car I glued the dash to the body. Now I can do the steering wheel and find a good location for the seats.

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

On 28/03/2018 at 5:21 PM, Johnt671 said:

Thanks Sledsel. This will be the final stance and wheels. Since this will be an early 60's type car, it will be powered by a fuel injected 409. Anybody know what class this would be in?

It would be in Modified Sports, not Gas class, so with a 409, maybe AM/SP, or just into BM/SP if you added some ballast...   I'm sure someone will correct me if  I'm wrong.

Edited by dodgefever

23 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

It would be in Modified Sports, not Gas class, so with a 409, maybe AM/SP, or just into BM/SP if you added some ballast...   I'm sure someone will correct me if  I'm wrong.

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll have to see what class letters I have.

On 6/6/2018 at 7:34 PM, DustyMojave said:

The class would be  "/MSP" for Modified Sports Production. Gas class would also work.

Thanks. I wanted to finish this before my knee replacement operation tomorrow, but that's on going to happen. I wasn't wild about the detail on the 409 so I played around a couple of other motors, then decided I really wanted the 409 in it. I'm having a hard time finding headers I like to fit the motor or the car, but I'll find something that will work. Here's more pictures.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 1:43 AM, DustyMojave said:

Look for headers to fit Chevy small block or Ford Y-block engines. Same pattern as the Chevy 348-409. Not that in full scale headers for a Ford Y-block would fit a 409. But in 1/25...close enough.

Thanks for the tip. I'm back again from knee surgery, and  will be starting on this one again in the next day or two.