Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Anglia105E

Pontiac Kit Wanted

I am trying to source a 1:24 or even 1:25 scale kit for a 1967 or 1968 Pontiac, and although it would need to be a 4-door version ideally, I am happy to attempt a 2-door to 4-door conversion. The car that I am wanting to build would be a 1968 Pontiac Parisienne, right-hand drive and produced in Canada. There again, a left-hand drive kit is not a problem and if the kit was a Bonneville could this be converted to a Parisienne? The headlamps are horizontal twin pairs as opposed to vertical twin pairs, if that makes sense. I am located in England but as long as the shipping costs are not too scary from United States or Canada then I would seriously consider purchasing the right kit. Photo below of the original 1:1 car.

David

Pontiac.jpg

Judging by the shape of the front fenders, I think you're looking for a 68 Bonneville. The 67 front bumper and grille were completely different. Considering the amount of converting you'll have to do, I'd suggest finding a junker or resin copy.

Best wishes with your search.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Your only option for this conversion would be an original MPC 1968 Bonneville hardtop kit.

Not an easy find in the least!

Unless someone casts a resin copy, which is unlikely, you're going to have to spring for a very rare kit.

Even a builder or junker is not going to come cheap, unless you get very lucky.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but anyone who collects & builds rare vintage kits will likely tell you the same thing.

Good luck.

Steve

Thanks to Patrick, so I know what I am looking for now.... a 1968 Bonnevile.... that's good!

Thanks also to Steve, and I do appreciate the difficulty I am likely to encounter in finding such a rare kit but I remain optimistic. This car was a favourite of mine back in 1977 and I would very much like to build a replica of the car in 1:24 scale. Many thanks to both of you and I shall begin my search !

David

I see what you mean.... an Ebay search turned up only one Ultra Rare kit, a 2-door convertible version at US $259.99 plus shipping and import charges !!!

Looks like I will need to dog deep into the financial pocket !

David

Ebay_Pontiac_Convertible.jpg

Best case scenario, look for a built convertible kit or promo with a broken-off windshield; those will be cheaper.

Check the forum for some of the '67 Chevy four-door hardtop conversions being done lately; that will give you some guidance on creating a correct roof and trunk panel (it's the same or nearly so).

Your right-hand drive dashboard is the modified '65 Chevy unit used in previous RHD export Pontiacs;  it will take some work but the LHD Revell '65 Chevy dash is easy enough to find for your conversion. From the Australian '68 Pontiac brochure (on the Old Car Manual Project):

5abb19d90ef07_1968GMHPontiacParisienne-06.jpg.0d1648921e29c8189bcef99c06755b5a.jpg

Good luck, Dave, and happy modeling!

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Thanks very much Chris, and I did notice one or two convertibles available. That set me thinking about making a convertible into a hard top, which I would feel confident about dealing with. As you rightly say, it would be a lucky find if a broken promo comes up while I am searching. Usually I do include ' spares or repairs ' in my search criteria and this has turned up some interesting Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint diecasts, although this time it must be a built kit or similar for the Pontiac.

Your input is much appreciated, especially the dasboard photo and I shall not give up at this point !

David

Try looking on Epay under "Junkyard models and kits". You'll find just about anything there!

Thank you Patrick..... I will try Junkyard on Ebay, which is not a term we would use..... but I will try almost anything!

David

Your link to the brochure for the 1968 Pontiac Parisienne is going to be really useful Ed, when I find a kit, so thank you very much. It makes interesting reading too!

David

One thing you might want to keep in mind, or maybe it won't matter to you is a Parisienne is considerably shorter than a Bonneville, and not in an easy way to shorten either.

You'll have to take length from both the door area and the rear 1/4 panels and trunk areas behind the wheels.

A '78 Parisienne is 216.5 inches ling on a 119 inch wheelbase while a Bonneville is 223.5 inches long on a 124 inch wheelbase.

Edited by Can-Con

Thanks Steve for the warning about the length of the two cars. You say '78 Parisienne but I shall be building a '68 Parisienne..... is that your typing error or do you mean '78 ?

216.5 inches is 9.02 inches in 1:24 scale; 223.5 inches is 9.31 inches in 1:24 scale, and 119 inches is 4.96 inches in 1:24 scale; 124 inches is 5.16 inches in 1:24 scale.

This means the model Pontiac is 0.29 inches shorter ( 3/10" )

David

3 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Thanks Steve for the warning about the length of the two cars. You say '78 Parisienne but I shall be building a '68 Parisienne..... is that your typing error or do you mean '78 ?

216.5 inches is 9.02 inches in 1:24 scale; 223.5 inches is 9.31 inches in 1:24 scale, and 119 inches is 4.96 inches in 1:24 scale; 124 inches is 5.16 inches in 1:24 scale.

This means the model Pontiac is 0.29 inches shorter ( 3/10" )

David

Yes,a typo and don't catch it before I post. I meant '68.

Also they were built on a Chevy chassis, which is slightly different than the Pontiac one and had Chevy engines.

Well Steve.... there is something I was not aware of, as I assumed the chassis and engine was Pontiac. Of course that is important if I want to get the build right, so I need to have a Chevy donor kit for the chassis and engine. Just got to find that elusive kit now.... which I am pretty sure will have to come to me from United States, or even at the high shipping costs from Canada. During the early days of my Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud builds one year ago, I did have five kits shipped from Canada, three Minicraft and two Italeri, which was expensive and took two months by sea.

David

ANGLIA105E, RESIN REALM , SHOWS A 1968 BONNEVILLE HARDTOP RESIN MODEL KIT. CALL STEVE OR E-MAIL HIM TO SEE IF IT IS IN STOCK.

That could be good news Paul..... thanks a lot for the info regarding Resin Realm and contact name Steve..... I shall drop him an email enquiry ASAP

David

59 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

That could be good news Paul..... thanks a lot for the info regarding Resin Realm and contact name Steve..... I shall drop him an email enquiry ASAP

David

I wouldn't get too excited David. I don't think Steve's had any '68 Pontiacs for a very long time. He hasn't had a listing for them for many years now.  Hope I'm wrong though.

I think you may be right Steve.... I checked out the Resin Realm web site and there are no Pontiacs listed at all. Dropped Steve Kohler an email but not optimistic.

David

On 3/29/2018 at 4:37 AM, Anglia105E said:

I did have five kits shipped from Canada, three Minicraft and two Italeri, which was expensive and took two months by sea.

TWO MONTHS! What'd they do, throw the package in the ocean and let it drift over to you by current? In this day of FedEx shipping and airplanes, it doesn't seem possible that it should take that long to get something from one end of the earth to another. SHEESH!!

I hope they arrived safe, And Dry!

I know Patrick, it doesn't seem possible for a package to take that long in this modern age. It was two months by sea using Canada Post which charge silly prices for their slow service, and a further week for the British carrier service to get the box to my home. At the other extreme, UPS can deliver a package to me from Shapeways in the Netherlands within two days and a fraction of the shipping cost. The contents of the package from Canada were exactly what I needed, and yes they were in perfect condition ( dry ).

David

ANGLIA105E, SORRY. I DID NOT CHECK THE CATALOG AFTER I GOOGLED IT.  BUT WE  NOW, KNOW R&R MADE ONE IN RESIN. THAT MIGHT HELP YOU  FIND ONE. I WOULD LOOK FOR A GLUE BOMB ON E-BAY AND USE THE CURRENT 65 GRAND PRIX FOR THE CHASSIS & ENGINE PARTS. GOOD LUCK IN YOU SEARCH.  BE PATIENT AND ONE WILL SHOW UP!!!!!!!!

Okay, here's an option. Look at Page Resin on Facebook, they make a 68 Impala 4 door. The Impala has the correct wheelbase for the Parisienne and it looks like it shares the same top. Then get a busted up 68 Bonneville kit and use the Impala body as a guide to shorten the Bonneville then pop the Impala top on.

Page-Resin-1968-Chevy-Impala-4-Door-Hardtop.jpg.9da5174015c3eafd59b2b1475bcc4c0b.jpg

Now that is a positive suggestion Brian, and just looking at your small photo I can see the close resemblance between the '68 Impala 4-door and the 4-door Pontiac Parisienne '68. Thanks for the helpful comment and I shall check out Page Resin on Facebook. Getting hold of a busted up '68 Bonneville kit from junkyard sources is proving to be difficult, but then I did expect this to be the case. I understand that I need to be looking at the '67 Chevy engine and chassis, rather than th '65 Pontiac Grand Prix, as the Parisienne had a Chevy engine apparently.

David