Model Cars Magazine Forum

New reissue announcement from Round 2

13 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I'm using the Mustang interior tub on my Cougar fastback build. The following pic shows how I cut out part of the rear wheel wells of the Cougar chassis in order to clear the rear seat area of the Mustang tub:

DSC01497-vi.jpg

I tried a test fit of the Mustang chassis, and it just didn't seem right on the Cougar.

I wonder if the Revell 68 Mustang would fit.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Probably if you stretched it three scale inches. 

3 scale inches isn't much, probably the thickness of .040 or .060 plastic. Or you could possibly fake it by moving the rear axle back that much. Hardest part might be finding a correct interior for the stock version.

In 1/25 scale, 1  inch is exactly .040 inch ( or approximately 1 millimeter). So 3 scale inches is  .120 inch. 

Years ago,  I was told that the difference in a Mustang and Cougar was that the front suspension pieces were swapped side for side. The suspension has a 1-1/2 inch offset from the mounting points. On the Mustang, they angled rearward resulting in a shorter wheelbase, while the Cougar had them angling forward. The guy that told me this was the son of a Ford executive from the 60s (and a well known modeler)the late Randy Vandriass.

That makes for a plausible theory but not true. The lower cougar/mustang control arms are identical so they can be used on either side. The 1:1 physical evidence (body) and specs (like 3" longer intermediate pipes and driveshaft) point to the front of the rear quarter area behind the door. Here's a couple of pics contrasting the amt mustang and cougar bodies and chassis.

P1019222.JPG

P1019225.JPG

The engine bay from the mustang and a slightly lengthened mustang chassis should work well.

mike

Edited by mk11

On 3/27/2018 at 1:13 AM, Pat Minarick said:

I'm wanting a 67-8 body to make a fastback , hopefully a AMT 67-8 Mustang chassis would fit.

I know some of the older kits had pretty stock bodies on funny car chassis, was hoping to be able to use the body.

Already did the 6912-24-2010016_zps575c47b1.jpg.5e0c264f682205dbd1cafef912e10507.jpg

Oh man... You've been reading my old bucket list! Nice job!

On 28/03/2018 at 12:08 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

3 scale inches isn't much, probably the thickness of .040 or .060 plastic. Or you could possibly fake it by moving the rear axle back that much. Hardest part might be finding a correct interior for the stock version.

Actually, it's quite a stretch , more than a sheet of plastic.

150 5073

This is the AMT '67 Mustang chassis BTW.

I really should get back on this Modelhaus resin one sometime soon. It has the AMT Mustang engine bay installed too.

150 5076

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎27 at 10:50 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Here's an idea, how about using the roof to convert a 67-68 Mustang into a coupe. Or a Shelby into a California Special. The roof lines are closer than the 66 Mustang coupe.

You might end up with something that looks like a cross between a '69 grande and a '67, like one of the resin casters had a few years ago  ^_^

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎27 at 9:56 AM, espo said:

...and the '69 and newer shared the Mustang quarters from what I have seen in pictures...

Maybe the '71-'73 were closer...

P1019227.JPG

26 minutes ago, mk11 said:

Nice color, Steve!

mike

Thanks Mike, it's '67 Mercury "lime frost poly" from Model Car World.

It's not quite that green in person. It also has a black vinyl roof now and the windows and most of the foil work done. 

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

150 5073

I really should get back on this Modelhaus resin one sometime soon. It has the AMT Mustang engine bay installed too.

150 5076

I did that with a 68 XR7GT. I cut that 67 Mustang 7 ways from Sunday to make everything fit. I also installed a 390/C/6 from a 66 Fairlane GT. It's in primer now. I have to decide on a color combination. I am considering Dark Green, Maroon, or Yellow, with a Saddle interior.

Ron, you're really making me long for the dark green '68 XR7 I had years ago ^_^

Some commentary over on the spotlight forum suggests that the '73 mpc cougar chassis and engine bay would work as well for a conversion.

mike

1 hour ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I did that with a 68 XR7GT. I cut that 67 Mustang 7 ways from Sunday to make everything fit. I also installed a 390/C/6 from a 66 Fairlane GT. It's in primer now. I have to decide on a color combination. I am considering Dark Green, Maroon, or Yellow, with a Saddle interior.

I have a mint '68 AMT kit I'm going to build, maybe as soon as next year. It's going to be dark green, but I haven't yet decided on interior--saddle, black, or white/black. When I build it, I'll post in-progress pics here, soliciting accuracy advice as I go. I want to do it as OOB as I can stand, but I also want it factory stock if it can be done without any permanent alterations to the body. 

6 hours ago, mk11 said:

You might end up with something that looks like a cross between a '69 grande and a '67, like one of the resin casters had a few years ago  ^_^

Maybe the '71-'73 were closer...

P1019227.JPG

I used the 69 Shelby chassis on my Cougar . I did nothing to the kits frame, I cut the stock front suspension off the frame and used the Revell 68 Mustang suspension. I just mounted it slightly farward and pushed the rear end back a little. That way I didn't have to mess with the interior bucket. The Shelby's interior bucket  and glass mounted right to original locating pins on the inside of the  Shelby's roof and cowl.

IMG_1933.jpg

17 hours ago, Can-Con said:

150 5073

150 5076

I think the stretch is actually behind the foot well for the back seat, but you got the job done.