Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

A review of the Revell Bentley, with photos http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/12/supercharging-bentley-guillaume-builds.html

The plastic is the same, and it looks like the Revell kit got some instrument decals that the Heller kit didn't have

That's actually what this kit was.  The Revell version.

18 hours ago, HotRodaSaurus said:

Yes I thought the 'blower' looked odd, I just looked on Google images to get the screen shot. It appears this Bentley has been re bodied a few times, it is indicated that it is in a museum in some of the photo's. 

Even some of the kits have mysterious anomalies. The Airfix 1/12 is originally numbered No 8 and comes with the reg plate UR6571, where the latest rendition of the original kit , the reg plate reads UU5872, the grill painted with the number 9. I expect the grill racing number is correct for the reg. 
 Sometime back one of the many TV car channels did a feature on the cars belonging to Ralph Lauren, whom did own the number 8 car. Don't really know if he still does as this was years ago.

When the repop of the 1/12 Bentley came out with the revised registration number, I contacted Airfix to see if there were any other changes to the original kit. They wrote me back that this was the only difference, and the change was dictated by a Bentley executive. I believe Lauren still has 6571 in his possession.

23 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

When the repop of the 1/12 Bentley came out with the revised registration number, I contacted Airfix to see if there were any other changes to the original kit. They wrote me back that this was the only difference, and the change was dictated by a Bentley executive. I believe Lauren still has 6571 in his possession.

Thanks, really interesting :) They both appear to be Tim Birkin cars. Maybe the Bentley executive was brassed off with his £300 Ralph Lauren shirt being made in China:D

Edited by HotRodaSaurus

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bbowser said:

I don't mean to stray too far from this thread, but I'm thinking I would like to build mine (Heller kit) like the one pictured above without the blower.  What modifications need to be made?

I want to say the blower was just a piece that glued to the engine, so you could just omit it.  However, I think the grill of the kit is molded to accommodate the blower.

14 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I have driven one and can tell you they are an absolute truck tho park. Once they get moving they are four wheeled magic.

On the topic of models, does anyone know if the Heller kit and the Revell of Germany kit are the same model?

Funny you mention that.  There was a woman driving a boat tail Buggatti a couple spaces over and it was quite fun watching her try to back it into her designated space. 

16 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I have driven one and can tell you they are an absolute truck tho park. Once they get moving they are four wheeled magic.

On the topic of models, does anyone know if the Heller kit and the Revell of Germany kit are the same model?

They're the same kit, but the Revell kit has some extra decals for the instrument panel.

I have the Heller kit, only partially built at this stage. As usual, other things have got in the way. I think it's a nicely detailed kit. Might make it my next project to finish once I get one top of my current Jaguar Mk2 project.

Just one thing to remember for anyone building these, you'll notice in the image a couple of posts back that from the bonnet (or hood for our US friends) back, the finish is flat or satin, and not glossy.  I believe they were all like that originally.

5 hours ago, warra48 said:

I have the Heller kit, only partially built at this stage. As usual, other things have got in the way. I think it's a nicely detailed kit. Might make it my next project to finish once I get one top of my current Jaguar Mk2 project.

Just one thing to remember for anyone building these, you'll notice in the image a couple of posts back that from the bonnet (or hood for our US friends) back, the finish is flat or satin, and not glossy.  I believe they were all like that originally.

Some sports and racing models, like the one the Heller kit is based on, had a lightweight body made of fabric over a wood frame, and the best they could manage is a semigloss finish.  A light spray of Dullcoat over gloss paint will give the desired effect

On 08/04/2018 at 7:41 PM, sjordan2 said:

Using the registration number shown in your photo, I tracked down this car at vintagebentleys.org. It’s a 1930 6.5 litre Speed Six, driven by Steed in several episodes from 1967-68. The interesting part is that Macnee couldn’t drive it, so they always used a stunt driver. If it’s a blower, it’s not a typical Bentley supercharger in front of the radiator. Lots of photos at the site, but I can’t copy and paste the url.

According to Wikepedia 'From the 4th season on, Steed's signature cars were six vintage green 1926–1928Bentley racing or town cars, including Blower Bentleys and Bentley Speed Sixes '. The one he used most however was a 3-litre Vanden Plas open 4-seat tourer with flowing wings. Corgi toys made a die-cast of this, some were the 'proper' green and some were red. 

The only blower Bentleys were 4.5 litres, although the Speed Six and Big Six did have a large cylindrical dynamo in the same location as the Blowers' supercharger. This is the one my Dad owned back in the 1970s and people often mistook it for a blower. Utterly fabulous car!:

gj4382_03.jpg