Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don't like Show Cars ? Some have great bones

Looking for great nostalgic old school  hot rod engines and parts? Here they are. 

Don't like the cars, don't hate the parts, these kits are readily available and have all the right stuff to add to your newer Revell hot rod Deuce and Model A kits to make the nostalgic build you want.

download (4).jpg

download (5).jpg

download (6).jpg

images.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

12 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Oh really?  Diorama builders would dig those subjects!

As a parts source or as cars?

Me; I don't hate what I call "thingie" show cars but they're not on my "gotta have it" list, either.  Sometimes. like Greg said, they have very useful parts.

4 minutes ago, Deano said:

As a parts source or as cars?

Me; I don't hate what I call "thingie" show cars but they're not on my "gotta have it" list, either.  Sometimes. like Greg said, they have very useful parts.

I can't argue with that. There are kits I buy where I  don't have a lot of interest in the subject. but they have lots of usable pieces.  They're basically what the Parts Packs were supposed to be.

This is all fine when you have a show car that has some basis in reality.  The problem is with the cartoony ones where all the parts are stylized to point there you can't use then for anything except another cartoony show car.

Agree. I picked up several Roth cars cheap over the years just for parts.  In some cases I just kept the wanted parts and threw out the rest. Or used the bodies for paint experiments.  As Richard said, I basically used them as Parts-Packs.

The Mysterion is a real treasure trove, with its 2 Ford "406" engines.  I think somebody in here said they're really 427s, from the Revell Parts Packs.  Speaking of dioramas, the engines in these kits are usually the multi-piece ones with detailed cylinder heads, crankshafts etc.  They look great as disassembled engines in a garage or back yard diorama.

Right now an online vendor has the Tweedy Pie for $16.71. Thinking about picking up at least one, just for the fuel tank, engine and some other useful parts.

1 hour ago, Psychographic said:

Show cars like you posted are very cool, it's when they make them out of toilets, bathtubs, beds, clocks etc, that I lose all interest.

Actually you're not the only one that feels this way .  True "Show Cars" from the 60's and 70's are very cool , it's all of that other junk that's useless .

My usual goto "Parts Pack" kit is Revell's '29 Pickup because there are so many useful parts for the traditional rod modeler, but even the goofier show rods can have potential.

The Boot Hill Express returned to the shelves recently, and I bought one in a fit  of nostalgia.  At first glance it's everything people hate about show rods, but you do get some nice wheels, tires and suspension bits that, when combined with one of Monogram's street rod kits, would make a great starting point for a '60s style gasser, or gasser style street rod.

Monogram+Boot+Hill+Express+01.jpg

With a classic car kit and some work, the Boot Hill Express could be turned into a stock "carved side" hearse from the 1920s or 30s.  Those were pretty common and constructed by many small coachbuilders, so just about any body combination could look right: MPC Lincolns or Chrysler, Italeri Cadillacs, etc.

Many years ago, in The Other Magazine IIRC, somebody turned it into an interesting modern hearse.  They combined it with the body of the MPC Dodge "Lil Red Express" pickup.  I think somebody has even turned it back into its Origin Vehicle - a horse-drawn hearse. 

13 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

My usual goto "Parts Pack" kit is Revell's '29 Pickup because there are so many useful parts for the traditional rod modeler, but even the goofier show rods can have potential.

The Boot Hill Express returned to the shelves recently, and I bought one in a fit  of nostalgia.  At first glance it's everything people hate about show rods, but you do get some nice wheels, tires and suspension bits that, when combined with one of Monogram's street rod kits, would make a great starting point for a '60s style gasser, or gasser style street rod.

Monogram+Boot+Hill+Express+01.jpg

Me...I love the show rods specially the Tom Daniels series ones.  I too love the extras the kits came or come with...there great for dioramas.

14 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Many years ago, in The Other Magazine IIRC, somebody turned it into an interesting modern hearse.  They combined it with the body of the MPC Dodge "Lil Red Express" pickup.  I think somebody has even turned it back into its Origin Vehicle - a horse-drawn hearse. 

I remember that build ! I've forgotten the name the builder gave to the combo ; however , I do remember that it was gold , brown , and beige , and was Hemi-powered . Photos were taken -- per the write-up -- at the actual Boot Hill .

Me...I love the show rods specially the Tom Daniels series ones.  I too love the extras the kits came or come with...there great for dioramas.

The extras we're talking about here are all the usable parts ( wheels, headers, engines , chassis's, etc.) minus the goofy stuff they seem to think sells the kits. :P

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Cherry bomb did have a cool chopper bike,  but then they put it on a trailer that looks like a banana!

Back in the early '70s, Ira Dahm from Car Model took that trailer and kitbashed it into a three-wheel chopper - it was called the "Candy Chop".

http://www.showrods.com/gallery_pages/candy_chop.html

Waste not, want not! :)

On 3/28/2018 at 5:23 PM, Eshaver said:

I am a diorama builder and as far as such rides like the Bath tub buggy, they're useless to me as they can't be used on the street , they usually look like a farce , well to me .

I think you missed the point. The Bathtub Buggy was thought to be good for diorama builders because it supplies two 1:25 scale iron bathtubs and a crapper. Not because the car itself is of use as-is.