Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Fruehauf Model FB Beaded Panel Van - Coca-Cola

Casey

It would be nice if they would add the reefer unit to one of these reissues like this old kit in this pic. 

20180325_192502.thumb.jpg.cb356d08983ea98e1421a2bde327e12c.jpg

It's the same trailer, just with the reefer unit, and since AMT used the recent W925 on the box art pic and they DID include the decals in the Kenworth for this trailer, THEY NEED TO REISSUE THE REEFER!

3 hours ago, kataranga said:

If the only difference is the reefer unit itself one of those kits is inaccurate. There is quite a different between a reefer trailer and a dry van/plated trailer.

The same goes for the Moebius, but I never seen anyone complain about that. Anyway, most of the differences between a reefer and a dry van is on the inside like plywood walls in a dry van vs insulated walls in a reefer. 

I never did end up getting the Moebius trailers so I don't know about the differences between them. 

In addition to those you mentioned, reefers have insulated doors that usually have a diamond pattern on them. Plus reefers have corrugated metal floors and dry vans have wood. And then you get into ducting... ☺

4 hours ago, kataranga said:

I never did end up getting the Moebius trailers so I don't know about the differences between them. 

In addition to those you mentioned, reefers have insulated doors that usually have a diamond pattern on them. Plus reefers have corrugated metal floors and dry vans have wood. And then you get into ducting... ☺

All of those details you mentioned, the walls were the first that came to my mind being half asleep last night :lol:, are still all inside details that aren't visible from the outside, with the exception for the wood floors in dry vans vs the aluminum floor in the reefers, but that is only if you crawl under the trailer. Even then, the floor itself is not visible on a reefer because of the insulation and a usually black moisture barrier around the insulation. As for the doors, the quilted diamond pattern is an option and is dependent on how the trailer was ordered, because it can also be just chrome as they are in the Moebius ribside kits 

20160920_004541.thumb.jpg.de589a7e5a4aecf01bb444680bed023f.jpg

or just painted the color of the trailer as they can be in the smoothside Moebius trailers because those don't include the chromed doors or front bulkhead. 

Especially with the Moebius smoothside, but this also applies to the other trailers too, since I have very intimate knowledge of the 53' Great Danes inside and out, the outwards appearance of both the dry van and reefer are the same. The only differences is of course the reefer unit hanging off the front and the fuel tank for the reefer. I hauled the Great Dane in both varieties for quite a long time before hurting my shoulder last year and have been off the road since then, the first pic is the dry van and the second is a reefer even though I know the reefer unit is hidden by the truck. Sorry it isn't the greatest pic either but the phone I had at that time took lousy pics at night!

IMG_20151018_153352_5141_zpsqzahh9oh.jpg.63570f82c8249465d581a1ebebbabb6a.jpg

10382394_726318317431501_3418083191227608340_o.jpg.a92f02720f19420a7cf9bf8e5bcc9885.jpg

One detail that is different between the two I hauled is the back door frame. The top of the frame on the reefer is lower than on the dry fans, because these reefers have three zones inside separated by insulated bulkheads and there are three inner reefer units inside on the trailer ceiling in addition to the main outside unit. Two are mounted side by side in the middle of the trailer across its width and one is mounted on the drivers side about 4 to 6 feet in front of the back door, and so that freight can not be loaded higher than those units the top of the rear door frame is thicker than what is on the dry vans. 

IMG_20150410_164021_015_zpsvnf5hsc0.jpg.3b422647a46c427120e276c249b68574.jpg

Where were you based out of, highway? I run strictly New England and only ever see Prime hauling for Walmart. Well, aside from Walmart's own trucks that is. There's a Walmart DC in Lewiston, ME that I drive by six times a week so lots of Walmart trucks coming and going.

14 hours ago, kataranga said:

Where were you based out of, highway? I run strictly New England and only ever see Prime hauling for Walmart. Well, aside from Walmart's own trucks that is. There's a Walmart DC in Lewiston, ME that I drive by six times a week so lots of Walmart trucks coming and going.

Wintersville OH. Schneider runs from here and also the grocery DCs in Bedford PA, London KY, Washington Court House OH, and I think Gas City IN. The one in Wintersville covers NE OH, western PA, and most of WV. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, highway said:

Wintersville OH. Schneider runs from here and also the grocery DCs in Bedford PA, London KY, Washington Court House OH, and I think Gas City IN. The one in Wintersville covers NE OH, western PA, and most of WV. 

And Gordonsville, VA...

• 2 weeks later...

How hard could it possibly be to scratchbuild a refer for the trailer? It is basically a box with some boxes attached to it. I'm sure the grating could be scrounged up from something, or fabricated from styrene or metal strip. Most of the truck guys seem to be pretty comfortable customizing. The Thermo King across the top would be the most difficult aspect, photo etch would be the best option, but DIY decal would probably do the job.

KJ at Double Take Repicas has a better reefer unit that the old unit in the AMT reefer kit, it's a corrected version of the Thermo King unit in the ERTL Great Dane reefer trailer.
But you still need a tank and battery boxes for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to have to pick up a few of these when they come out. These kits build a nice trailer right out of the box, and an even nicer one with a few mods. Here is the one I just built using a previous issue of this kit with a few mods.

DSC_00782-vi.jpg

DSC_0082-vi.jpg

Edited by KJ790

• 1 year later...

So who here is going to be the first to build one and add a ton of led,s to it to make it look like one of the trucks and trailers in the commercial they use to run during christmas?
Because thats what i would do if i could get a bunch of small led,s cheap.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, Jim B said:

Oh you have got to be kidding me!

This is the first I've seen of the new trailer box art. The October Round2 YouTube video has the Coca-Cola White Western Star and Ford stake truck re-released. I'm still waiting for the Coca-Cola Kenworth Challenge mixer!

2 hours ago, drinkone2 said:

This is the first I've seen of the new trailer box art. The October Round2 YouTube video has the Coca-Cola White Western Star and Ford stake truck re-released. I'm still waiting for the Coca-Cola Kenworth Challenge mixer!

I'm still surprised they didn't Coca-Cola the Autocar A64B.