Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Construction Bulldozer

Casey

CHROME??? It's been a long time since I built one of these, sometime in the late 80s or early 90s if I remember correctly long back when it still had the "Cat" markings, but I don't remember any chrome in the kit. 

47 minutes ago, highway said:

CHROME??? It's been a long time since I built one of these, sometime in the late 80s or early 90s if I remember correctly long back when it still had the "Cat" markings, but I don't remember any chrome in the kit. 

Maybe the stack and hydraulic rams?

I built the grey plastic RC2 era issue. I don't remember any chrome either.

1 minute ago, Aaronw said:

Maybe the stack and hydraulic rams?

I built the grey plastic RC2 era issue. I don't remember any chrome either.

That's possible, the only things I could think they could chrome. I do remember from the early version I built, the silver/grey are the tracks. 

41 minutes ago, alexis said:

Boy, going to be REAL interesting to see the Decals on this release............

From MegaHobby:

"This model kit does NOT have Caterpillar decals included in the kit. "

Looks like R2 doesn't have a licensing agreement with Caterpillar which is why it's no longer listed as a D7.

Edited by SfanGoch

Why don't they put in another or two rippers, The bar can hold three rippers. It is interesting that they debranded this kit. I have a built one with the chrome parts and added extra rippers which have different yellow colors due to different runs. It is a D8 tractor. I can only wish that some one wise model manufacturer would just make an 'American fire truck' series of debranded fire trucks.

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1

I think we may be supplying our own decals for this one if you wish to get the Cat branding back on. Caterpillar is very quick to send out cease and desist letters and if I was a decal manufacturer, I wouldn't touch that with a 12 foot pole. Regardless, I'll have to pick this up. Looks like an interesting build, would be very fun to grime up as it should be.

Edited by Dieselhead

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

From MegaHobby:

"This model kit does NOT have Caterpillar decals included in the kit. "

Looks like R2 doesn't have a licensing agreement with Caterpillar which is why it's no longer listed as a D7.

They haven't had the "Cat" licensing for many years, which is why the previous issue from the early 2000s did not have any of the "Cat" decals. 

Cat01-vi.jpg.08128eb584d69b1daa3eaaed9819c312.jpg

This is the last issue from maybe around the mid 80s that had the "Cat" licensing. 

Amt-Ertl-D-8H-Caterpillar-Bulldozer-Hard-To-Find.thumb.jpg.87cd3cbb6e1dfdfc22b32a0f2686bdea.jpg

Oh, and by the way, it is a D8, not a D7. 

12 hours ago, Casey said:

There are a few chrome plated parts, but probably shouldn't be any:

cat.jpg.ce87d910c5d5d2adc14734a37f7e7e9c.jpg

You are correct, nothing but maybe the two shafts from the hydraulic rams which are above the fan and what appears to be valve covers, should be chromed. 

6 minutes ago, Warren D said:

Grill looks different from the one I built up almost 40 years ago.  IIRC, the grill was a stick-on with holes.  The one on the box looks like slats.

Yeah, the new box art does show a different grille, even from the original box art they based it on with of course the deletion for the "Cat" logo too. AMT has been modifying other decal sheets and changing and/or expanding originals, so maybe a new grille style???:huh:

1_0a96a9344bdf5306e445b69e6b1e952e.jpg.a224f4b61dd395c255e396329632d9b4.jpg

Like Greg Smith mentioned, I wish they would put in more than one ripper. Never made sense to have holes for three, and only one shank in the kit. Never the less, I'll be in for one of these. Going to build in in Navy Grey as a SeaBee Machine.

On 3/28/2018 at 2:48 PM, highway said:

First issue and the issue that came in one box with the lowboy trailer had chrome parts.

8 hours ago, alexis said:

Boy, going to be REAL interesting to see the Decals on this release............

And, how soon does the aftermarket step in..........

I think Jerry at Modeltruckin.com has copies of the original Cat decals for this kit.

The worst thing about most issues of this kit is that the tracks are not polystyrene. They’re a flexible plastic that does not hold paint well. Only one issue so far has polystyrene tracks. I’m pretty sure it the last issue released with the dark blue box that just says “bulldozer”.

The one issue I have always had with this kit is the tracks.  The grousers are just way too tall and klunky looking.  I have a kit but have never built one.  It might take doing the track links all over again and casting a bunch.  Jeff Harper did just that with his 1920's Marion steam shovel.  Made two links, cast each one and just kept on casting until he had something like 62 links for each track.  The effect was totally awesome.5abd822941a13_steamshovel.jpg.6a17209ac0f86128d898556ad99ac00d.jpg

This is an in-progress shot of what he scratch built.

5abd8436a8902_AP_MARION1.jpg.93b928d2ca0f9eb1d9b57f7949440824.jpg

Finished shovel and a 1932 AP Mack n the foreground.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:48 PM, highway said:

I've seen any number of this vintage Caterpillar D8--and NEVER saw any with even a hint of brightwork, beyond perhaps the starter key!  If I have any gripes about this kit it's this:  Why in the name of God did AMT's designers decide that  a clear sticker with black dots was a good way to portray the grille?    Of course, I can mount the radiator unit in my mill, and accurately drill out all the little holes, in scale, and precisely to the pattern on the real thing, but still?

Art

12 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

The one issue I have always had with this kit is the tracks.  The grousers are just way too tall and klunky looking.  I have a kit but have never built one.  It might take doing the track links all over again and casting a bunch.  Jeff Harper did just that with his 1920's Marion steam shovel.  Made two links, cast each one and just kept on casting until he had something like 62 links for each track.  The effect was totally awesome.5abd822941a13_steamshovel.jpg.6a17209ac0f86128d898556ad99ac00d.jpg

This is an in-progress shot of what he scratch built.

5abd8436a8902_AP_MARION1.jpg.93b928d2ca0f9eb1d9b57f7949440824.jpg

Finished shovel and a 1932 AP Mack n the foreground.

Charlie, I've been thinking (I know, that's DANGEROUS) but it might be just as quick (for me at least) to set up my Sherline Mill to simply mill down the grousers to a more correct height (?)

Art