Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody else just bought a Foose Cady for parts ?

I plunked down the cash for a Foose Cady today. The body style isnt really my thing but the 502 is destined for a 57 Chevy.

Just wondering if the chassis ect is a simple fit on something else or what you other guys are doing if parting one out ? I may use the body ect as a kerbside but really not sure until it arrives in the post.

The chassis is based on the stock Cadillac unit.  I was a bit disappointed with that, as I expected it to be a complete aftermarket chassis.  I bought two of these kits.  The "parts car" will probably give up its powertrain and wheels to an Eldorado Brougham (as soon as I can find a built one to cut up, to fix the proportions of the front clip).  But the chassis will stay with the body, and there will be enough left that I can swap in another engine and wheels and have another complete (though different) car.

The chassis would be an okay swap into another late Forties/early Fifties car, but under anything else it will look out of place in my opinion.  Yes, someone could fabricate a chassis that looks like this one, but under a lot of cars it won't look like it was designed for that car.  Again, just an opinion...that, and $1.79, will get you a medium coffee around here... 

I got one with the plan of building it. When I opened it the windshield frame was badly tweaked. I tried to straighten it but just couldn't get it straightened. I was about to through it back in the box and shelf it. But I had the velocity channel on at the time and I think it was Iron Resurection that came on. They were working on a late sixties Caddy convertible and that got some ideas flowing. So out came my Johan boss man and surprisingly they fit well together. It did take some floor manipulation to give it a fairly clean underside but the wheels look fantastic on that body so I went with it and it is probably one of my best overall builds to date. I'll try and take a couple of pics to post up later if any one is interested in seeing it. 

I started to mix that chassis, engine, suspension, with an Eldo Brougham, stretched the front fenders and customized the body but here's how I extended the front end.

To keep the wheel openings intact, I added styrene to the lower portion just at the door/fender line, then on the upper part (this kit has a multi-piece body) I extended it just above the wheel openings. I opened up the hood and fitted the Foose inners as well.

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

For what it's worth, in the real world, aftermarket frames (like Art Morrison, etc.) made for specific vehicles, are usually very similar visually in shape to the OEM frames they replace.

This is because well-designed aftermarket frames are engineered to pick up the original body mount locations.

For this reason, kit frames that represent OEM units can be modified to represent aftermarket upgrades, usually, by cleaning them up in general, modifying or replacing crossmembers as necessary, installing IFS, and narrowing the rear rails to accommodate wider rubber.

The Foose frame appears to be either a Morrison or similar unit, or an OEM frame that's been clipped both front and rear...achieving essentially the same thing.

The '41 Caddy frame, below, is much like the '48.

Image result for 1948 cadillac frame

On 3/31/2018 at 10:28 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

For what it's worth, in the real world, aftermarket frames (like Art Morrison, etc.) made for specific vehicles, are usually very similar visually in shape to the OEM frames they replace.

This is because well-designed aftermarket frames are engineered to pick up the original body mount locations.

For this reason, kit frames that represent OEM units can be modified to represent aftermarket upgrades, usually, by cleaning them up in general, modifying or replacing crossmembers as necessary, installing IFS, and narrowing the rear rails to accommodate wider rubber.

The Foose frame appears to be either a Morrison or similar unit, or an OEM frame that's been clipped both front and rear...achieving essentially the same thing.

The '41 Caddy frame, below, is much like the '48.

Image result for 1948 cadillac frame

Great side by side comparison photo.Thanks for sharing that.