Model Cars Magazine Forum

Splash Paints LLC Order

37 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

I'm curious how these paints compare to Gravity Colors paints.  Has anyone compared them?

They're quite similar.

So far I've only shot one color of Gravity (Porsche Sapphire Blue) and one color of Splash paints. While friends claimed that the Gravity paint would allow you to paint 2-3 bodies per jar, I used nearly an entire jar of the blue to cover one body. That said, it was the first iteration of the color offered which was revised later. It seemed to not have the pigment opacity that I expected. The paint job was a success. 

I recently sprayed Splash Paints Highland Green; being a dark color I decided to prime it with Gunze black surfacer. Even though the 1 oz. Splash jar looks suspiciously small, after thinning the paint slightly (with Mr. Color Thinner) to help smooth the paint flow, the Highland Green covered amazingly well in thin, opaque coats with no signs of crazing or ghosting, though I did use the liquid cement trick on areas of plastic that had been sanded to remove mold lines. I ended up using perhaps 20% of the 1 oz. jar. I'm pretty pleased how it turned out. 

I wouldn't hesitate to use either brand. My Splash order was placed on a Wednesday afternoon, processed by their PO early Thursday, on my doorstep on Sat. That's pretty fast from Oregon to GA. 

37 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

though I did use the liquid cement trick on areas of plastic that had been sanded to remove mold lines. 

I've read all your articles I have been able to get access too and I don't remember ever hearing of that one Bob.  What is the liquid cement trick?

55 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

They're quite similar.

So far I've only shot one color of Gravity (Porsche Sapphire Blue) and one color of Splash paints. While friends claimed that the Gravity paint would allow you to paint 2-3 bodies per jar, I used nearly an entire jar of the blue to cover one body. That said, it was the first iteration of the color offered which was revised later. It seemed to not have the pigment opacity that I expected. The paint job was a success. 

I recently sprayed Splash Paints Highland Green; being a dark color I decided to prime it with Gunze black surfacer. Even though the 1 oz. Splash jar looks suspiciously small, after thinning the paint slightly (with Mr. Color Thinner) to help smooth the paint flow, the Highland Green covered amazingly well in thin, opaque coats with no signs of crazing or ghosting, though I did use the liquid cement trick on areas of plastic that had been sanded to remove mold lines. I ended up using perhaps 20% of the 1 oz. jar. I'm pretty pleased how it turned out. 

I wouldn't hesitate to use either brand. My Splash order was placed on a Wednesday afternoon, processed by their PO early Thursday, on my doorstep on Sat. That's pretty fast from Oregon to GA. 

I've been using Gravity Colors for a while now but I haven't tried Splash Paints yet.  Splash Paints does need to add more automotive colors, especially US car colors.

44 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

I've read all your articles I have been able to get access too and I don't remember ever hearing of that one Bob.  What is the liquid cement trick?

It's claimed to help seal the plastic surface, close the pores so to speak, after it is sanded. These are the areas that are always prone to ghosting if you use a too-hot paint on some plastics, with the surface gloss sanded away the plastic swells up from the solvents in the paint. It's not necessary if you're using common hobby paints (Testors, Gunze, Tamiya) but with these automotive sourced paints it's important to be mindful of the potential for crazing/ghosting and use proper methods of sealing the plastic from the aggressive solvents in automotive paint.

6 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

My recent order was $3.50 for shipping 5 jars of paint. 

That is a great price

8 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

It's claimed to help seal the plastic surface, close the pores so to speak, after it is sanded. These are the areas that are always prone to ghosting if you use a too-hot paint on some plastics, with the surface gloss sanded away the plastic swells up from the solvents in the paint. It's not necessary if you're using common hobby paints (Testors, Gunze, Tamiya) but with these automotive sourced paints it's important to be mindful of the potential for crazing/ghosting and use proper methods of sealing the plastic from the aggressive solvents in automotive paint.

Thanks Bob!

56 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

So just apply some liquid cement after the the mold lines are sanded?  Is Tamiya Extra Thin cement good for this?

1 hour ago, Zoom Zoom said:

I've found that the automotive paints that Gravity Colors uses(BASF) are a lot less hot(solvent) than Model Car World paint which is PPG.  Gravity Colors paints seem to be almost as mild, if not just as mild as the hobby lacquers.  Maybe since BASF is made in Germany they are made with a less hot solvent due to environmental laws.

Are Splash paints as mild as Gravity Colors paints?  Do you know what brand of paint Splash uses?

Edited by crowe-t

5 hours ago, jchrisf said:

How much is the shipping for these paints?

Hi Chris! 

We now only offer priority mail because of the unrestricted amount of shipping supply we can use to protect the paints!  Because of recent damages with our packages via first class (even with a lot of bubble wraps), They were arriving with damages so we are going fully with priority mail.  We do not have months of fulfillment time like other do, priority mail will be worth your money.

As far as the paint goes, any paints that are $6.99 requires a bit more precision when spraying.  They can't be sprayed wet from the first coat so something I would recommend you do is spraying light coats always on primer and be very patient with them.  Usually, 4-5 passes should be able to cover the body fairly well. but once you have 2-3 coats down, you can apply a bit heavier by slowing your hand down rather than adjusting the needle.

I hope this helped!

4 hours ago, crowe-t said:

I've been using Gravity Colors for a while now but I haven't tried Splash Paints yet.  Splash Paints does need to add more automotive colors, especially US car colors.

We will have a lot coming within next month!! Hopefully it is enough and we will be offering awesome custom paint solutions that can be shipped off in 1-2 days depending on the order size.

1 minute ago, Samuel S said:

We will have a lot coming within next month!! Hopefully it is enough and we will be offering awesome custom paint solutions that can be shipped off in 1-2 days depending on the order size.

That's great to hear!  I mainly build American cars.

Will you have any of the 1970's Ford Blue colors?  I'll need 1974 Ford Bright Dark Blue, Code 3G, Ford Code M5094 for a build.

43 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

That's great to hear!  I mainly build American cars.

Will you have any of the 1970's Ford Blue colors?  I'll need 1974 Ford Bright Dark Blue, Code 3G, Ford Code M5094 for a build.

Probably not for general release but the custom color will be available for a very reasonable price of $12.99 for 2 oz with no minimum order requirement.

17 minutes ago, Samuel S said:

Probably not for general release but the custom color will be available for a very reasonable price of $12.99 for 2 oz with no minimum order requirement.

$12.99 for 2 ounces is very reasonable.

When will the $12.99 custom color be available? 

16 hours ago, Samuel S said:

Hi Chris! 

We now only offer priority mail because of the unrestricted amount of shipping supply we can use to protect the paints!  Because of recent damages with our packages via first class (even with a lot of bubble wraps), They were arriving with damages so we are going fully with priority mail.  We do not have months of fulfillment time like other do, priority mail will be worth your money.

As far as the paint goes, any paints that are $6.99 requires a bit more precision when spraying.  They can't be sprayed wet from the first coat so something I would recommend you do is spraying light coats always on primer and be very patient with them.  Usually, 4-5 passes should be able to cover the body fairly well. but once you have 2-3 coats down, you can apply a bit heavier by slowing your hand down rather than adjusting the needle.

I hope this helped!

Thanks Samuel.. I'll be getting some soon.

Just want to give Sam a public thank you.  I was having an issue with how the paint was laying down and so I sent him a email and his response was in minutes. He even offered to send me a free bottle of thinner if I needed it.  Nice to have vendors that care about customers, a first class guy.