Model Cars Magazine Forum

Splash Paints LLC Order

On 7/17/2018 at 9:44 AM, Zoom Zoom said:

It's claimed to help seal the plastic surface, close the pores so to speak, after it is sanded. These are the areas that are always prone to ghosting if you use a too-hot paint on some plastics, with the surface gloss sanded away the plastic swells up from the solvents in the paint. It's not necessary if you're using common hobby paints (Testors, Gunze, Tamiya) but with these automotive sourced paints it's important to be mindful of the potential for crazing/ghosting and use proper methods of sealing the plastic from the aggressive solvents in automotive paint.

Hey Bob.. what is the best liquid cement for this?  

11 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

I used Tamiya extra thin, it's my go-to liquid cement these days. Any of the liquid cements that soften plastic so it "welds" itself together should be fine. The Tamiya extra thin dries quickly.

Thanks Bob.. I have some of this but I just thought it would have melted the surface.  I'll have to give it a try.

Nice to see another paint company start up with an emphasis on maintaining good service. Although Scale Finishes or Gravity Colors paints are great,  their customer service degraded over time for many modelers.  Fortunately, Zero has been consistent.

Query: how does the metallic flake size of Splash compare to Gravity Colors? I know Gravity made a big deal of this when they first opened, and their flake size is small, at least compared to Scale Finishes (and maybe even Zero)?

Edited by BVC500

13 hours ago, BVC500 said:

Nice to see another paint company start up with an emphasis on maintaining good service. Although Scale Finishes or Gravity Colors paints are great,  their customer service degraded over time for many modelers.  Fortunately, Zero has been consistent.

Query: how does the metallic flake size of Splash compare to Gravity Colors? I know Gravity made a big deal of this when they first opened, and their flake size is small, at least compared to Scale Finishes (and maybe even Zero)?

We have had some big flakes on certain colors on previous releases. (Metallic colors) But all the new releases from here and onward will have scale correct ultra fine flakes.

7 hours ago, Samuel S said:

We have had some big flakes on certain colors on previous releases. (Metallic colors) But all the new releases from here and onward will have scale correct ultra fine flakes.

Excellent, thanks!  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...