Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Jeeps?

426 pack

Neither of MPC's Jeeps is a WW-II Jeep:  The "Hogan's Heroes" Jeep is actually a CJ-2A, which in early 1951 Willys-Overland produced a military version, the M-38 Jeep.  The MPC CJ-5 is a Kaiser-Willys creation, which appeared first in 1954 as the M38A2 Jeep for the US Army.   In 1/24 scale there are two WW-II Jeeps, Italeri made/makes a Ford GPW Jeep, Hasegawa makes the Willys MB Jeep (only noticeable difference between the two is in the front chassis crossmember).  My Hasegawa Jeep in 24th, which I converted to a Ford GPW:

Finished1944FordGPW1.jpg

The reissue of the "WWII" jeep should still be pretty easy to find on ebay as well as the DOH Daisy jeep, I'm watching a few now that are pretty cheap. They aren't currently being produced but that doesn't mean they can't be found at a reasonable price.

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2018 at 2:14 PM, 426 pack said:

Are there any MPC CJ or WW2 Jeep kits still being made or any other company that are making CJ or WW2 jeeps?

1FF5795D-AE5D-4849-A394-56A9F721037C.png

A23D231D-590D-4B47-B2AB-2C96B3D633A1.png

Were these the only two versions to have this style uptop in them? I really would like to have the top if anyone has one to spare (not to be confused with the Monogram 1/24 version)

16 hours ago, alexis said:

Both of My Daisy Duke Jeeps have the uptop, but they are both older kits. I'm not sure if all of the "Dukes" Jeeps have an uptop.

16 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

IIRC my Daisy Duke Jeep had an up top molded in clear.  Not sure if it was the hardtop style or a canvas style like on the Bushwhacker box art.

Thanks Alan and Rob. I guess i should ask before I go on the hunt, will this top fit the CJ-2 body depicted in the Hogans Hero/Korean War kit? I would assume so, but you know what happens when you assume...

This reissue will be available soon, reissue of the Jeep with a cool Godzilla dio in the box AND all the fancy parts you need for the Surrey version included as well.

My build of this new reissue goes live today on YouTube. Loved it.

EDIT:  Can't attach the image after five tries, oh well.   Check the channel at 3pm today for the video.  https://www.youtube.com/user/hpiguy 

22 hours ago, alexis said:

Craig, the Uptop from the Dukes Jeep will NOT fit the Hogan's Heros Jeep. Only the Jeeps with the CJ-5/CJ-7 Nose.

Thanks for letting me know. I've been dabbling with this one lately, a restoration/kitbash of the Swamp Buggy version. Thought it would be cool to have a top for it, but If I don't it's no big deal. 

23 hours ago, hpiguy said:

This reissue will be available soon, reissue of the Jeep with a cool Godzilla dio in the box AND all the fancy parts you need for the Surrey version included as well.

My build of this new reissue goes live today on YouTube. Loved it.

EDIT:  Can't attach the image after five tries, oh well.   Check the channel at 3pm today for the video.  https://www.youtube.com/user/hpiguy 

Great review, now I have to buy 3 of these, one to shelve and 2 to build.

Jeff 

59 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Thank you. It got back-burnered when I had other time commitments recently come up. But I have bought the AMT parts pack dirtbike set to tow behind it. Some day :)

You'll get it done Craig!! Looking good so far...

2 hours ago, DrKerry said:

You'll get it done Craig!! Looking good so far...

Thanks Kerry. Like you, my interests are all over the place, but all I ever seem to finish are rods and customs.

I have 3 1st gen broncos, two jeepsters, and a few other old school SUV builds on the list. Just not enough time in the day :D

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Thanks Kerry. Like you, my interests are all over the place, but all I ever seem to finish are rods and customs.

I have 3 1st gen broncos, two jeepsters, and a few other old school SUV builds on the list. Just not enough time in the day :D

I hear ya there Craig!! Right now I’m stuck on rigs!! I do have the Hogan’s Hero’s Jeep though!! Always wanted to build a sand drag Jeep, maybe someday!! 

Always like seeing your Rods and Kustoms at Kemp’s!! 

• 2 months later...