Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Little Rod - A Monogram "Never Was"

TooOld

On 3/31/2018 at 9:22 AM, peekay said:

Wonderful!

Thanks Pete !

On 3/31/2018 at 10:54 AM, Phildaupho said:

A totally fantastic project resulting in an incredibly cool looking model. Would have been a great April Fools post !!??

Thank you very much !

On 3/31/2018 at 10:55 AM, Mr mopar said:

Look's Awesome Bob !

Thanks !

On 3/31/2018 at 10:55 AM, Mr mopar said:

Look's Awesome Bob !

On 3/31/2018 at 1:04 PM, Ken Gilkeson said:

very nice

On 3/31/2018 at 6:41 PM, bamadon said:

Can't go wrong with a t-bucket. It look very good.

Thanks guys !

On 4/1/2018 at 7:12 AM, ATHU said:

Looking good, beautiful work!!

Thanks !

On 4/1/2018 at 7:26 AM, Eric Macleod said:

I get the ideathat this represents a tremendous amount of work.  You have executed it beautifully and the presentation with the art work is top notch.  Great, great model.

Thanks Eric !  Those not familiar with 1/8th Big Rod don't realize all of the extra work that was required to build it in 1/24th scale  .

On 4/1/2018 at 7:59 AM, James2 said:

Absolutely!

Thanks James !

Beautiful work!

A Little Rod (and a Little Drag) have been on my to-do list for years.  For me, the toughest part of the Little Rod is the high top, and you nailed it.  The faux store displays are just icing on the cake.

I can't wait to see your Little Drag and Tub.  

On 4/1/2018 at 9:55 AM, oldnslow said:

That is really nice Bob .

On 4/2/2018 at 7:55 PM, Dann Tier said:

WOW!!!!!!

On 4/2/2018 at 8:45 PM, Foxer said:

That just looks good and is a real color classic .. well done!

Thank you very much everybody !:)

18 hours ago, Psychographic said:

Once again some beautiful work Bob. You have a great knack at recreating these old 1/8 scales in 1/25.

Plus you really got me on the art work, I was saying to myself "I thought those models were called Big,,,,,"  then after a little bit I realized you redid them.

Thank you very much David !  Creating the box art was almost as fun as building the model !

Bob, beautiful build, always loved those old Monogram rod kits. Great display too, I thought is was a real kit from years past. I just hope once Revell's change of ownership is complete that they will bring out the old Little T!

On 4/3/2018 at 2:16 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Beautiful work. Great presentation.  Looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.

Thanks Bob !  The next two are already in the works .

On 4/3/2018 at 4:39 PM, pack rat said:

Beautiful work!

A Little Rod (and a Little Drag) have been on my to-do list for years.  For me, the toughest part of the Little Rod is the high top, and you nailed it.  The faux store displays are just icing on the cake.

I can't wait to see your Little Drag and Tub.  

Thanks !   I actually thought the headers were the hardest to replicate but the top was a close second .

On 4/3/2018 at 8:45 PM, BeakDoc said:

Dang, not an i undotted or a t uncrossed. That lil hot rod is razor sharp! Beautiful, crisp detail and craftsmanship.

Thanks you !

On 4/3/2018 at 9:29 PM, larman said:

Love this one! Great idea and perfect execution! -Larry

Thanks !

20 hours ago, BobbyG said:

Bob, beautiful build, always loved those old Monogram rod kits. Great display too, I thought is was a real kit from years past. I just hope once Revell's change of ownership is complete that they will bring out the old Little T!

Thanks Bobby !

15 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Pretty sweet.   :D

Thanks you Ace !

On 4/4/2018 at 11:14 PM, Pat Minarick said:

Very cool, Bob.

Thanks Pat !

On 4/5/2018 at 12:15 AM, spike morelli said:

Right on the money!  Sure would love to own a "T" hot rod for real just like that!

Thanks !

17 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Wow! Very nice. I like it a lot. 

Thanks much Scott !

Nicely done! Think you nailed it. Many years ago when I got back into the hobby I cobbled together my own version of the Big Drag in 1/25th....took the turtle deck from the  Revell Tony Nancy 22Jr dragster kit and filled in the cockpit cut out and mated it to the Revell T Bucket body...than placed it on a Tweedy Pie chassis with the kit's small block Chevy adorned with the blower from an AMT 57 Chevy and zoomie exhausts from the AMT Blueprinter Parts Pack Chevy small block. Whitewall slicks from the Monogram Little Coffin...other wheels and tires from the Revell Orange Crate. Overall a reasonable facsimile...

Edited by styromaniac

On 4/6/2018 at 5:53 PM, styromaniac said:

Nicely done! Think you nailed it. Many years ago when I got back into the hobby I cobbled together my own version of the Big Drag in 1/25th....took the turtle deck from the  Revell Tony Nancy 22Jr dragster kit and filled in the cockpit cut out and mated it to the Revell T Bucket body...than placed it on a Tweedy Pie chassis with the kit's small block Chevy adorned with the blower from an AMT 57 Chevy and zoomie exhausts from the AMT Blueprinter Parts Pack Chevy small block. Whitewall slicks from the Monogram Little Coffin...other wheels and tires from the Revell Orange Crate. Overall a reasonable facsimile...

Thanks !

Man, this is killer. May have missed it, but what's the source for the cheater slicks, or did you cut your own grooves in the Monogram slicks? I've thought about this one myself and knew the headers and top would be a pain, as well as sourcing decals. But you nailed it.

I also am working on a Little Drag. Just got the turtle deck from Missing Link and am scrounging up the other parts to make it happen. The roll bar, push bar and again, the decals, are going to be the tricky parts.

Again, very cleanly executed build. Well done.