Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Chevelle: Revell vs AMT

I searched the forum and all I came up with was a thread about the pro-street versions. Reference was made as to the Revell version having the more accurate body.

I'm close to completing my part of a build of a 1:1 for a client, and I'm thinking of doing him a model of the car. Guy's been one of the most pleasant people to deal with I've ever had the pleasure of knowing, so I thought a little gesture of appreciation might be nice.

Anyway, which kit really DOES have the best-looking stock body?  (the exterior of the real car is being kept very close to stock)

AND...which pro-street chassis is nicer? We're running something similar to a Morrison, with tubular front control arms and a Ford 9" out back.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I built both when they first came out and concluded that the Revell body was noticeably more accurate in shape. The AMT doesn't look bad and if it were all we had, we'd live with it and love it. But the Revell is better. I also recall both kit being troublefree builds, especially the Revell.

I can't speak to the accuracy of the two pro street chassis. I have both kits but have never built either. 

The Revell pro street kit has that wonky rear end/taillight treatment. If you want a stock rear end on your car, you'll also need the stock kit for that part. Also, the pro street kit only has the lumped hood, so if your car has a stock or stock-ish hood, you'll need the stock kit for that. 

19 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

The Revell kit has the nicer body, and reasonable chassis detail. If you get the Pro Street version, be forewarned that the kit comes with a custom taillight panel, so you will need a stock kit to complete the build. 

X 2, for this reason alone I like the AMT kit.

The front bumper and grille of the AMT kit has more pronounced "V" to it and possibly has more of a forward lean than it should. The original comparison article in Scale Auto back in the day said it had a bit of a  "Buick" look to it and I agree with that statement.

Other than that, it's a typical AMT kit of the day.  I think the Revell kit just has a more crisp feel to it.

The Revell kit has the upper grille trim correctly molded as a separate piece, to install on the hood.

On the AMT it is just molded together with the grille assembly.

I don't see any problem with the A-pillars on either of the '67 kits.  The Lindberg '66 Chevelle is the kit that has the too thick A-pillars.

19 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

I don't see any problem with the A-pillars on either of the '67 kits.  The Lindberg '66 Chevelle is the kit that has the too thick A-pillars.

I don't recall them being "too thick" on the AMT, but I DO recall noticing that they were different from the Revell, and researching the matter, and discovering that they're correct on the Revell and not on the AMT. But I admit that this is something that most people, including most modelers, would never notice or worry about. I wouldn't have noticed it if I weren't working on the two bodies together. 

Both kits build up nicely. I've used the interior parts from the AMT in the Revell Chevelle and they pretty much fit without any issues. The trunk badge on the AMT kit is on the large side but can be replaced with PE from the Model Car Garage set. The radius of the AMT Chevelle's tail light bezels too rounded when compared to the Revell kit. The bezels on the Revell kit are more accurately rendered when compared to the real deal.

Related image