Model Cars Magazine Forum

Little Deuce Coupe inspired by the song

Phildaupho

Note - Some of this story was made up for April Fools Days - This is a model of the real Little Deuce Coupe that inspired the Beach Boys’ song of the same name. Although it was meant to be on the record album cover it obviously was not and it eventually disappeared. The record company guys thought it looked too plan [as in - You don’t know what I got] so it was sent to Barris Kustoms for enhancement. As it turned out it was not finished in time when record advanced the release date so [ this next part is true] Hot Rod magazine was asked to provide some photos. The picture of the Chili Catallo Silver Sapphire was cropped from a 1961 photo session by Eric Rickman. Another interesting fact is that the red jacket to add color to the photo and worn by Chili whose head was cropped off in the photo belonged to Big Daddy Ed Roth!!

image.png.5388d10980606529e72c219733b6cbaa.pngimage.png.1221b32b16b1b4c7c108d94ebed83168.pngimage.png.ef5844f122d99c7b22307f0fcb2c5f4d.pngimage.thumb.png.30811044ad5a86fd17fbf8b1f87e623e.png

[ This is fiction ] Because the real Little Deuce Coupe missed its moment of fame, to make it a full on show car the flathead was replaced with an eight carb Hemi. Shortly afterwards the car was crashed and completely destroyed by fire so totally disappeared.

The car was originally built for Bonneville where it ran 140 mph on alcohol. Picture if you will how this car looked at Bonneville.  It was chopped and channelled over a Z’d frame. It was very light having a louvered roof panel and trunk and a stripped interior with aircraft seats. It ran with magnesium wheels, no headlights and a fairing over the front frame horns.

TRUE - Notice how the car has all the features mentioned in the song such as the flathead, 4-speed and lakes pipes. It also has a full hood, which hid the potential of the engine.

Edited by Phildaupho

Great looking Deuce ,  I love the color and the Flat Head !  I admit I don't know much about the Little Deuce Coupe and never knew the car on the album wasn't the original . . . oh yeah , April Fool's !

Edited by TooOld

On 2018-04-01 at 11:39 PM, Snake45 said:

Very nice! I like yours a LOT more than the famous one on the album cover. 

On 2018-04-01 at 11:45 PM, mredjr said:

Very nice!!

On 2018-04-02 at 2:21 AM, Sixties Sam said:

Very cool with flathead or hemi! Nice work!

Sam

On 2018-04-02 at 1:21 PM, DeeCee said:

That is one very cool Deuce man, love that color on it too..

On 2018-04-03 at 6:17 AM, slusher said:

Super Nice Model!

On 2018-04-04 at 10:41 AM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Very nice

On 2018-04-04 at 11:13 AM, mredjr said:

Nice job!!

On 2018-04-05 at 2:41 AM, dan_a said:

Great 32 duece, perfect stance and a nice period look!

On 2018-04-05 at 4:12 AM, Pat Minarick said:

Very cool.

On 2018-04-05 at 7:07 PM, unclescott58 said:

A decent looking Deuce. Very Kool. 

Thanks everyone. Hopefully by this time  next year I will have completed a model of the Silver Sapphire