Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chaparral article

Really enjoyed the article in the latest Model Cars magazine of Henry Trent's Chaparral models. One of my favorite cars from the past.

The 2D is said to have been currently re-released from Fujimi but I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Thanks Paul. I saw that the other day. Reading the article I assumed re-released meant it would be readily available at the usual model websites but that's not the case. Not even at HobbyLink Japan which is my "last chance" site.

Hi,

Yes I loved that article as well and am almost done with my 2nd memorial build for CrazyEd.

Some how I don't think Fujimi re re-released the kit yet.  That price on Amazon seems much higher then going rate on eBay.

It would be wonderful to see it released again though.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TonyK said:

Thank you! Yes, a decent price for the kit and don't mind paying that much for a Fujimi kit. Always a quality product.

Hi,

I've noticed that the Fujimi repop is better then the original.

The decals are fresher of course and the molding seems a tad crisper.  The only thing better in the original Modelers version are the tires as they have a flat tread.  The repop has a rounded tread.

Any ways just some info from some one who, for some reason, has had several of these kits.

6 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

Hi,

I've noticed that the Fujimi repop is better then the original.

The decals are fresher of course and the molding seems a tad crisper.  The only thing better in the original Modelers version are the tires as they have a flat tread.  The repop has a rounded tread.

Any ways just some info from some one who, for some reason, has had several of these kits.

Hello,

Thank you so much for that info on the tires, I had one of the original MODELERS from who knows how long ago hanging around and I LOST one of the headlight covers ( carpet creature?) I was shocked to the see the FUJIMI offering I also lucked out, I bought mine for $66.00 from a Japanese seller, I mean I had to, right?!?! You guys understand right? $66.00 +$17.50 shipping for a headlight cover seems a reasonable price to me, not so much my wife though?

As far as the tires, I am going a "little over the top", detailed out of the box/curbside 2-C. I have had this kit for I don't know, maybe 17-18 years. I planned on doing this when I originally bought it, so i started stocking up stuff R & D Unique white metal small block chevy engine, white metal intake,  webbers, little and bigs Chaparral white metal wheels, (little rough), resin Firestones also R & D, Fred Cady decals, Parts by Parks intake stacks, so many other "little odds and ends", but you get the idea. I really appreciate every little tidbit of info I can get. I have been away from this hobby since 1999, I need some refreshing. The more I am into this 2-C the more I remember how much of a gas it is researching and scratchbuilding things. My chassis for this will be really plain, (killing me) but at least one thing I am trying to stay true to the aluminum one Jim Hall ran with this car, sans suspension.  Tony I am glad you finally saw my post its always nice to pass on info. One of the OTHER things I always liked back in the day.

OH I KNOW!!!  I have a question anybody know how to do a 4"- 6" (1/24) hole in the brass mesh? I thought maybe a hole punch all it did was stretch and distort the test piece I used. THANKS

• 1 month later...

Update on the Chaparral 2D I ordered from Amazon. Bad deal. The due date I was supposed to get it has come and gone and there's a list that goes on and on from people that have ordered various items from this Great Meister and never received anything. Guess I should've looked into the history before I placed my order. Too bad. Was looking forward to the kit.

Amazon needs to look into this person/outfit and sever it's relationship AND help to get everyone their money refunded.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:05 PM, Hooked on Chaparral said:

... I bought mine for $66.00 from a Japanese seller, I mean I had to, right?!?! You guys understand right? $66.00 +$17.50 shipping for a headlight cover seems a reasonable price to me, not so much my wife though?

Sure, makes sense. And then you just threw out the rest, right? No sense having all that duplicate parts clutter filling up the closet.

Seriously, you justify it any way you want, it's your model and your money. We're not here to judge.

One time, I did find a vintage collectible model kit outside of the hobby shop that sold it - in the trash can! With the matching receipt inside of it for $80. Somebody bought it specifically for the vintage pie crust drag slick tires that came in it, and tossed the rest out! The kit was mint and unbuilt except for the missing tires. I never understood why someone would spend that much for 2 tires, but like I said - his money! I liked the car though, still have it as a reminder.

On 5/17/2018 at 12:52 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Sure, makes sense. And then you just threw out the rest, right? No sense having all that duplicate parts clutter filling up the closet.

Seriously, you justify it any way you want, it's your model and your money. We're not here to judge.

One time, I did find a vintage collectible model kit outside of the hobby shop that sold it - in the trash can! With the matching receipt inside of it for $80. Somebody bought it specifically for the vintage pie crust drag slick tires that came in it, and tossed the rest out! The kit was mint and unbuilt except for the missing tires. I never understood why someone would spend that much for 2 tires, but like I said - his money! I liked the car though, still have it as a reminder.

No that's the one thing I don't do. If I get in those positions i save the donor kit for other possibilities.

I was lucky  a few years back when I went the Watkins Glen Motorsport Library they had some kits on sale. I got the Modellers kit for $20. the Modellers kit had nice metal parts for the rear view mirrors, gas caps and taillights.

Dcp_6273.jpg

Dcp_6282.jpg

Dcp_6285.jpg

Dcp_6286.jpg

Edited by 935k3