Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Wicked Baron

Psychographic

56 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Another cool model coming together. 

If you had some small bombs they could be your shocks. 

I want to either find or make a pair of bombs to hang under the front wings as headlights. I tried to make one from the fuel tank of the p-40, but even after I cut it down it was too big. I'm hoping maybe a 1/72 scale kit might have something I could use.

A little progress. Once I had a little more info on the engine (thanks Bill!) I made a water pump for the engine. It's not like the stock one, but I think it's pretty obvious what it is.

P4110298.thumb.JPG.69d166993d65a8f9146e65d1f9dc04c8.JPG

I also have the upper suspension arms mounted. I cut a slot on each side of the fuselage and filled it with some 1/8" tubing that I sanded to a little more than 180 degrees. The 3/32" tubing on the end of the arm fits nicely into the 1/8" tube after a little filing. I need to figure out the spindles next. I'm also not sure if I want to leave the flaps on the front wings as they are a little "thick" looking. I'm worried that I'll have to bring the ends to much to a point in order for clearance when the wheels are turned. If I decide to take them off, I'm first going to cut them off carefully and see if they look good in the up position to look like a race car wing.

P4160328.JPG.a6db8ef4af57203bdfda5a5e4379e6bc.JPG

I just ordered these resin bombs. I'm going to make headlight buckets out of them and they will hang from the front wings. This works out well with using the drop axle as lower arms, as there is a pocket for the bomb to fit into. The only other plane related things on the outside will be the gunsight from the stock grille and the machine guns. I don't want to go overboard with the plane theme.

Bombs.jpg.d5a627513b3274a5ea20aa4064c26607.jpg

On 4/3/2018 at 3:11 PM, Psychographic said:

P4010174.JPG.6641fa61da67ba9f9733ac41035b3e16.JPG

This shot just gave me an idea - the "Sprint Baron" backing it in! Using the Monogram sprint car kit with this. Picture it with the staggered wheels and wrapped in a roll cage with sponsors billboards on top.

Any takers? I don't have either kit or I'd try it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't lost interest, but shortly after my last progress pics, I've managed to screw up my right shoulder. It's to the point where some days it is almost useless and I'm in a LOT of pain.

The only thing I've got done is getting the bomb headlights assembled and done. The fins are very thin and I broke one while sanding it. If it was styrene it would be an easy fix, but working with epoxy was a bit of a challenge. It took 2 days to do about 15 minutes of work.:angry:  I think they look good and add to the theme without going overboard.

P5050329.thumb.JPG.75ab23b9dc3ed782d012cc19a7fb1cf3.JPGP5050330.thumb.JPG.1d84aa02d98ea8bba882801b80071d0f.JPG