Model Cars Magazine Forum

An accurate 69 Cuda

BobbyG

On 9/30/2018 at 4:22 PM, BobbyG said:

I just received my "test shot" Cuda grille from Rico, WOW!!!!. It fits like a glove with no modifications required and just looks right. The depth of the grille, the mesh and the signal lights are correct. I asked Rico if he could design and produce this grille and he came through. Now, I can't wait for the taillight/panel so I can finish this project. 

BTW, I had no problem using the Duster chassis as the wheel base matches the body and the only modification was some minor trimming at the rear. I did add a tab at the back edge and a slot in the body to lock in the chassis as if was designed in the kit.

Rico does outstanding work and he is filling a void for us using his talent! Thanks Rico!

69-left-side.jpg

69 CUDA GRILLE.jpg

0930181523a (1).jpg

0930181523c.jpg

I've just been working on restoring a survivor '69 Cuda (have never built this kit before) and now I definitely see what you mean about the grille being wrong on the kit. I'm going to just press on with the kit parts on this resto, but am definitely interested in buying a few of these grilles for some future '69 Cuda projects I have in mind. B)

On 10/1/2018 at 6:10 AM, BobbyG said:

Rusty,

Here is the link from this forum under Aftermarket/Resin, topic is 68 GTX Grills and is the thread that Rico has posted to with his awesome 68/69 Road Runner and GTX grilles. 

The Cuda grille is the first run that I ordered so I could test fit it for my Cuda project. I do not believe these are ready yet, but I understand will be soon.

Here is Rico's Shapeways store site:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ra-sti-acute -s-scale-accessories

Enjoy

the link to Rico's Shapeways shop isn't working, is it dead?

Hey guys,

the Cuda grille isn´t there because I had to thicken the outside yet to make it offerable for everybody. The testprint I ordered by myself and this makes the difference.

Let me explain:

As a designer you have the possibility to order your part with the option "Print it anyway". This means even if the walls of your parts are a little bit to thin you´re able to order these parts.

As a customer you don´t have the opportunity to choose this option. This means the designer has to thicken the walls to make the part available for customers.

Because of my less spare time since April last year I hadn´t the chance to do this. I started already but it isn´t ready to go. Once I´ve done it I will post it here for sure.

BTW Bobby is still waiting for the tailpanel and I´m really sorry that I haven´t finished this. But I want to bring it to live too.

I hope you will be patient with me and give me some more time.

THX, Rico

On 3/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, camaro69 said:

Hey guys,

the Cuda grille isn´t there because I had to thicken the outside yet to make it offerable for everybody. The testprint I ordered by myself and this makes the difference.

Let me explain:

As a designer you have the possibility to order your part with the option "Print it anyway". This means even if the walls of your parts are a little bit to thin you´re able to order these parts.

As a customer you don´t have the opportunity to choose this option. This means the designer has to thicken the walls to make the part available for customers.

Because of my less spare time since April last year I hadn´t the chance to do this. I started already but it isn´t ready to go. Once I´ve done it I will post it here for sure.

BTW Bobby is still waiting for the tailpanel and I´m really sorry that I haven´t finished this. But I want to bring it to live too.

I hope you will be patient with me and give me some more time.

THX, Rico

Thanks Rico for the update and your patience with me, I know your workload is busy. 

Guys, Rico is an awesome communicator and designer who is also a great guy to work with. Believe me his parts are well worth waiting for.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

now I know which you ment.

The wheel covers from your pic I have already modeled. Are you the one who asked me to do this via shapeways message? I think I only have to upload them to the shop.:rolleyes:

The ones from the ebay listing I haven´t done. But sure I can model them too. Downloaded the best pic for reference. Maybe you have some outer wheels which should be replaced by them (so we can use these dimensions).

Regards, Rico

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey guys,

I know there are many of you waiting for the tailpanel and I thank you all very much for your patience. After a long time full of work I now have the first testprint in hand.

There are some minor issues because the inner panel isn´t wide and the scriptings are not tall enough. I will try to fix this now in a short timeline to make these parts available. And because I now have my own 3d printer I can do the next testprints on my own.

Anyway here are two pics of the first testprint. Hope you´ll like it.

IMG_20210721_171917.jpg.623e569986a00d597962e93542daf6a1.jpg

IMG_20210721_172004.jpg.f3d5eb0a01537fa8b2bf9539806893ac.jpg

Best regards, Rico

10 hours ago, camaro69 said:

Hey guys,

I know there are many of you waiting for the tailpanel and I thank you all very much for your patience. After a long time full of work I now have the first testprint in hand.

There are some minor issues because the inner panel isn´t wide and the scriptings are not tall enough. I will try to fix this now in a short timeline to make these parts available. And because I now have my own 3d printer I can do the next testprints on my own.

Best regards, Rico

Looking good! I'm happy to see this project progressing again. Going to be a nice build and I have a feeling I'll be in the market for those parts to use on my 69 Cuda.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:09 PM, camaro69 said:

Hey guys,

Best regards, Rico

Looks great Rico, I am looking forward to working with this tail panel on my Cuda project. Your pride in your work is amazing and hope you know that you're spoiling us. Best, Bobby G.

Hey guys,

did the next testprint by myself and I´m really pleased with the look. I hope you´ll like it too.

Here´re the new pics...

IMG_20210724_155529.jpg.b4b563a50d88cfe5676b183972911ee9.jpg

IMG_20210724_155409.jpg.f565a2c37ea50ec83d13a855e771d101.jpg

And some pics for comparison with the kit parts...

IMG_20210724_105420.jpg.371b717aace735c28dce6d05a53cc40f.jpg

IMG_20210724_105439.jpg.cbdeedaabb84d50ee8f236972cf697d1.jpg

I even uploaded the parts already and they are now available at the following link:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PDGTY742K/1-25-1969-cuda-tailpanel?optionId=222013002&li=shops

Once again thank you all, especially Bob, for your patience.

Rico

23 hours ago, camaro69 said:

Hey guys,

did the next testprint by myself and I´m really pleased with the look. I hope you´ll like it too.

Here´re the new pics...

IMG_20210724_155529.jpg.b4b563a50d88cfe5676b183972911ee9.jpg

IMG_20210724_155409.jpg.f565a2c37ea50ec83d13a855e771d101.jpg

And some pics for comparison with the kit parts...

IMG_20210724_105420.jpg.371b717aace735c28dce6d05a53cc40f.jpg

IMG_20210724_105439.jpg.cbdeedaabb84d50ee8f236972cf697d1.jpg

I even uploaded the parts already and they are now available at the following link:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PDGTY742K/1-25-1969-cuda-tailpanel?optionId=222013002&li=shops

Once again thank you all, especially Bob, for your patience.

Rico

Well guys, once I finish my new workshop in about a month, I will resume this build thanks to the incredible work and collaboration with Rico. I will keep you all posted once I get back to the workbench. 

Rico, very well worth the wait!!! PS: my follow up project will be to resume work on my 63 Plymouth Savoy Super Stock (sorry bro)...but catch your breathe first.

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

Edited by BobbyG

On 4/28/2018 at 4:49 AM, DustyMojave said:

Do you have any more comments on the rear inner panels? I'm building a '69 Barracuda into an SCCA A/Sedan (same as Trans Am race series, but the amateur hip-pocket financed racers). I have found a photo of one that was raced back in the day, but only a poor quality photo of it passing by on a race track. So I don't have any detail shots of the interior of that race car and don't know for sure if the interior side panels were removed leaving the inner structure exposed, or if the panels were there . I was an SCCA Tech Inspector back then. But that car was not raced in my area and not everybody reads a rule book the same way.

I've been aware since the 1960s that MPC got the rear side interior panels way wrong.

I'm also using the AMT '71 Duster chassis. I find it to be correct in wheelbase, but the body is actually a couple or 3 inches short in scale. So I've shortened the chassis to fit. About 1/8" actual. Then it fits beautifully.

The rules for A/Sedan racing then required the 273 V8 engine in the car as the max was 5.0 liters or 305ci. Starting in 1970 the rules were changed to allow de-stroking bigger engines to 305, I'm using Duster 340. 1st, there aren't any 273s available in 1/25. 2nd, visually the 340 looks close enough that nobody would know. 3rd, it just might be built as a 1969 Barracuda being raced later on and using a de-stroked 340!;)

I don't want to take over your thread here, so if you're interested, I can share photos of my project so far.

Edited by BobbyG

On 4/28/2018 at 4:49 AM, DustyMojave said:

Do you have any more comments on the rear inner panels? I'm building a '69 Barracuda into an SCCA A/Sedan (same as Trans Am race series, but the amateur hip-pocket financed racers). I have found a photo of one that was raced back in the day, but only a poor quality photo of it passing by on a race track. So I don't have any detail shots of the interior of that race car and don't know for sure if the interior side panels were removed leaving the inner structure exposed, or if the panels were there . I was an SCCA Tech Inspector back then. But that car was not raced in my area and not everybody reads a rule book the same way.

I've been aware since the 1960s that MPC got the rear side interior panels way wrong.

I'm also using the AMT '71 Duster chassis. I find it to be correct in wheelbase, but the body is actually a couple or 3 inches short in scale. So I've shortened the chassis to fit. About 1/8" actual. Then it fits beautifully.

The rules for A/Sedan racing then required the 273 V8 engine in the car as the max was 5.0 liters or 305ci. Starting in 1970 the rules were changed to allow de-stroking bigger engines to 305, I'm using Duster 340. 1st, there aren't any 273s available in 1/25. 2nd, visually the 340 looks close enough that nobody would know. 3rd, it just might be built as a 1969 Barracuda being raced later on and using a de-stroked 340!;)

I don't want to take over your thread here, so if you're interested, I can share photos of my project so far.

Dusty, sorry that I didn't reply here. My guess is the racing version was the base interior quarters, same shape but obviously not carpeted. Here's an image that may help. Thanks for your comments.unnamed.jpg.e9e93569672e3ee301f76ef477a71d1b.jpg 

Just received the 69 Cuda tail panel from Shapeways/Rico Redenz, all I can say is superb. Rico got the curvature of the taillights down and the center panel is excellent. I also got another copy of the Cuda grille. I ordered his 78 Dodge Ram grille which s another work of art.

This has been well worth the time Rico put into the Cuda tail panel and his meticulous work is second to none. If anyone is working on a 69 Barracuda, I highly recommend these pieces!

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Edited by BobbyG