Model Cars Magazine Forum

An accurate 69 Cuda

BobbyG

I love this thread! I cut up a late tool '71 Duster, and slipped it under a 64 Valiant Signet promo with great success.  Also, I would like to do a '65 and a '66 Barracuda this way.  I have a 69 Barracuda that I am backdating to a 68 Formula S, using the remnants of a 68 Barracuda Glue bomb. Looking at this project has made me rethink the project, to use Duster innards, and upgrade the body like you have done. Thank you for making me do this. The work you are doing is exquisite.

Awesome build on this old chesnut. It's always nice to see ideas for retrofitting an older kit like this. Dusty Mojave, have you gone to the FIA website to look up the homologation documents pertaining to the Barracuda? That might provide some insight. All that stuff is online and downloadable there. I'm not really sure when the rules were changed to require sealed panels between the fuel tank and passenger compartment but you can bet when those rules went into effect those panels would not have been used any more.

I started working SCCA Tech in January of 1963. As far back as I can remember, firewalls were required between the cockpit and a gas tank. The 1964-66 and 1967-69 Barracuda came from the factory with a firewall between them. They had an access panel that could be opened. But it was all steel. There WERE some openings in the steel structure of the upper side inner structure that would have needed to be covered with thin sheet metal. But that covering would look an awful lot like the factory interior pieces in a model.

The FIA Group 2 rules that the SCCA Sedan Category and Trans Am rules were based on required all of the stock interior trim be in place... seats, carpets, headliner and all. SCCA preferred that much of that interior be removed for fire safety reasons. SCCA DID want the interior to represent a fairly stock interior from the outside, and required the dash, inner door panels and rear 1/4 panels and deck be in place, but allowed the carpet or floor mats and all seats except the driver's to be removed.

Some pics of my own 69 'Cuda on '71 Duster chassis:

Comparison of the 2 chassis.

Then where the firewall SHOULD fit based on photos of 1/1 Barracudas. MPC accurately located the firewall there BTW. The Duster firewall is between the ribs inside the fenders.

How I cut it to adjust wheelbase and where the firewall fits.

KIMG0612_800x450.jpg

IMG_20170912_142015_640x480_Tablet.jpg

KIMG0617_800x450.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

I´m involved in this project in making the accurate grille inserts and taillights.

Today the testprint of the grille arrived. There are some little touchups left to do, especially the upper center parts of the inserts which I have to reshape.

Otherwise I would call the grille done. Turn signal lenses are already drawn but not printed yet. Here some pics...

DSC_0076.JPG.c7dbb5fd917c4998b1bf5e8451c445e6.JPG

DSC_0077.JPG.0a7fae4cee0cda52a42f1648379c1029.JPG

Hope you like it.

Rico

On 4/5/2018 at 12:15 PM, Oldmopars said:

I will be watching, I have this kit and was planing a slant 6 engine for a stock Grandma style/base model Cuda. But I opened the box to pull out the engine to trade to someone, and found the kit to be utter poop. The chassis is junk and the details on the rest of it are very poor. Good thing I only gave $6 at HL for it. Looks like I need to find a duster kit, but if I do that I will end up putting the Slant 6 in it instead.

Keep in mind this kit was originally tooled as a promo in 1967. That was pretty much state of the art back then. 

12 hours ago, camaro69 said:

Thank you Keith, but I wasn´t really happy with it.

Reshaped the center area in hope the next test will fit better.

3d_tools.jpg.695115fd43a1f4b07fc8a664fa4edd8c.jpg

Rico looking good. Glad to see this will finally move my 69 Cuda project along. Can't wait to see the finished pieces. Thanks for working on my request for us.

On 9/15/2018 at 4:28 PM, camaro69 said:

Rico, looks like I will be buying more from you. As I said earlier, this kit is bad. Your grill will help it out a lot. If its as good as your Ramchager grill and hood, it will be awesome.

On 5/1/2018 at 7:29 PM, DustyMojave said:

Some pics of my own 69 'Cuda on '71 Duster chassis:

Comparison of the 2 chassis.

Then where the firewall SHOULD fit based on photos of 1/1 Barracudas. MPC accurately located the firewall there BTW. The Duster firewall is between the ribs inside the fenders.

How I cut it to adjust wheelbase and where the firewall fits.

KIMG0612_800x450.jpg

IMG_20170912_142015_640x480_Tablet.jpg

KIMG0617_800x450.jpg

You had to adjust the wheelbase? On the 1:1s, both cars share the same 108 in wheelbase.  Which kit was off, I wonder?     A little trivia, newer Darts used the 69 Barracuda hood.

On 9/15/2018 at 7:28 PM, camaro69 said:

I just received my "test shot" Cuda grille from Rico, WOW!!!!. It fits like a glove with no modifications required and just looks right. The depth of the grille, the mesh and the signal lights are correct. I asked Rico if he could design and produce this grille and he came through. Now, I can't wait for the taillight/panel so I can finish this project. 

BTW, I had no problem using the Duster chassis as the wheel base matches the body and the only modification was some minor trimming at the rear. I did add a tab at the back edge and a slot in the body to lock in the chassis as if was designed in the kit.

Rico does outstanding work and he is filling a void for us using his talent! Thanks Rico!

69-left-side.jpg

69 CUDA GRILLE.jpg

0930181523a (1).jpg

0930181523c.jpg

0930181524.jpg

9 hours ago, bisc63 said:

How does one go about purchasing this beauty of a grille?

Rusty,

Here is the link from this forum under Aftermarket/Resin, topic is 68 GTX Grills and is the thread that Rico has posted to with his awesome 68/69 Road Runner and GTX grilles. 

The Cuda grille is the first run that I ordered so I could test fit it for my Cuda project. I do not believe these are ready yet, but I understand will be soon.

Here is Rico's Shapeways store site:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ra-sti-acute -s-scale-accessories

Enjoy

13 hours ago, jjsipes said:

Looking great. Wish someone would come out with a better kit of a much needed model. Think of all the Hemi Super Stock 68s that could be built as well as all the street car variations

Jason, I have been toying with the idea to have a top resin caster use my Cuda as a master, but it would only prolong completing it plus the time and risk for all the work I put into it to make it as accurate as possible. Let's see what happens when I talk to a couple of casters.

It will be up to Rico to make the 68 grille, hood, grille header panel and taillight conversions if there is a call for it down the road, to answer your question for the 68 Hemi Super Stock.

• 1 month later...

Jason, I probably will get back on track after the holidays, Rico is working on a more accurate taillight and trunk panel that I asked him to design. The fit of the grille is spot on. I sent him an extra body to size up everything. I have to finalize some interior details and final fit for everything. Still pondering if I should send the body and interior out to a resin caster since I think the body interior is more accurate and I know people will want this since it's been a long overlooked kit. I could use another copy to make a Sox & Martin version. 

Thanks for sparking the interest on this project.

Happy holidays,