Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why do people dig up these old threads???

Why do a lot of people dig up old old threads on this forum, it has happened a lot lately.
I don't know but topics started and discussed, and the last reply before the new recent ones are from 6-12 years ago isn't that interesting now, especially when the pictures are gone due to the photobucket issue, it has to be better to start a new topic instead of digging up an old pretty much dead one.
That's what I think anyway.

Edited by Force

I'm wondering why the monitors of this forum,don't delete threads that are from more than,let's say 2+ years ago.Sort of clean house,if you will.I have also seen threads that were brought up again that are around 10-12 years old.

1 hour ago, Force said:

Why do a lot of people dig up old old threads on this forum, it has happened a lot lately.
I don't know but topics started and discussed, and the last reply before the new recent ones are from 6-12 years ago isn't that interesting now, especially when the pictures are gone due to the photobucket issue, it has to be better to start a new topic instead of digging up an old pretty much dead one.
That's what I think anyway.

This thread seems old already.  :D.  I look at how many comments there are and whether if I am interested in the subject.  Sometime the thread gets a new life with more recent info.

Edited by vamach1

38 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

I'm wondering why the monitors of this forum,don't delete threads that are from more than,let's say 2+ years ago.Sort of clean house,if you will.I have also seen threads that were brought up again that are around 10-12 years old.

Most of Harry's build threads and tutorials are over 2 years old. Are you saying they should be deleted?

There is a lot of valuable information in many of the old threads. Even if the photos are missing there is good info in the descriptions. They aren't all gold mines, but that is no reason to discriminate against the old threads.

Many of the old threads resurface because they show up in searches initiated from this forum while the newer ones are often overlooked. This software has a poor search function.

The funny thing is, if we had a computer problem and lost a bunch of the old information, many folks would be complaining and saying how irresponsible we were for not backing up all the old data so that it wasn't lost.

You can always back out of a thread and start over if you find that it isn't your cup of tea.

11 minutes ago, Xingu said:

Most of Harry's build threads and tutorials are over 2 years old. Are you saying they should be deleted?

There is a lot of valuable information in many of the old threads. Even if the photos are missing there is good info in the descriptions. They aren't all gold mines, but that is no reason to discriminate against the old threads.

Many of the old threads resurface because they show up in searches initiated from this forum while the newer ones are often overlooked. This software has a poor search function.

The funny thing is, if we had a computer problem and lost a bunch of the old information, many folks would be complaining and saying how irresponsible we were for not backing up all the old data so that it wasn't lost.

You can always back out of a thread and start over if you find that it isn't your cup of tea.

No,your right.Now that I think of it,two years isn't that old at all.And yes,I sometimes like reading some of the old threads when they pop up again.But like I said,there are some threads that are extremely old (12 years).I think they should be deleted...Ah,what do I know?I just really enjoy this forum/website very much.

Thanks 

I think the good part about this site is that everything is archived.  Some of us put a lot of thought and effort into our posts,  how to's and build threads.  Some of them are as good as magazine articles. We can see posts from people we know who aren't with us any more, like Harry, but there are many more!

Another site has posts roll off after two weeks or so.  Not so good!

I don't have anything against keeping the older topics on the forum as they can contain useful information and the forum is somewhat searchable, but unfortunatley many of the pictures in the old topics are gone due to the PB issue, but I don't see any reason to delete them for that.
But I find it a bit frustrating when I open a topic up high in some of the category pages like the Car and Truck Kit News and Review pages as someone has replied to it recently, and when I open it I find out that it's an old old topic wich was originally posted in for example 2006, and most of the other replies except for the last one or two all are from the time the topic was originally posted...a topic like that is quite cold as I see it.

Edited by Force

Now that I've realized that information older than two years is useless, it's easy to understand why so many people actually think the Earth is flat, and have no idea of things like who the parties were involved in WWI, WWII, or Vietnam, what's in the US Declaration and Constitution, or why it matters. Not too hard to understand why they can't even design a dammed pedestrian bridge anymore, either.

I guess I'm pretty stupid having all those OLD engineering, design, and historical reference books around, not to mention car and model magazines that date back to the 1940s. I mean, WHO COULD POSSIBLY WANT ANY OF THAT OLD CRAPP?

I should obviously pile up all that clutter and burn it on the front lawn.

Nah.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I think the good part about this site is that everything is archived.  Some of us put a lot of thought and effort into our posts,  how to's and build threads.  Some of them are as good as magazine articles. We can see posts from people we know who aren't with us any more, like Harry, but there are many more!

Well said. This place can be a gold mine for good modeling info that can't be found anywhere else and the effort put into some older posts may or may not ever be replicated on those subjects. Those that find old dates annoying don't have to click on them. 

mike

I have found some useful info on old threads and it would be a shame if they were deleted. Given the fact that everyone born after the computer age searches the web for what ever they want to know, it is nice to see answers that are based on real-life experience instead of regurgitated googles.

Edited by NOBLNG

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

They probably did a search instead of starting a new thread,  nothing wrong with that for most part, it is kind of funny to see very old threads come back to life.

I much prefer that an older thread be continued rather than starting a new one on the exact same subject, especially kit reviews and such.  As stated, some of the older content can be invaluable, especially from members who are no longer with us.

Consider that Round 2 is reissuing many kits that were previously reissued about 10 years ago.  If a thread from 2008 already exists for the same basic kit (tool), doesn't it make more sense to continue that original thread, with further commentary/comparison with the new 2018 release?

Among everything else that Harry did for the forum, he was very diligent about combining threads when multiples of the same subject popped up.  Some other previous moderators were also very on top of this.  That's not a dig at the current moderators, it had to take an awful lot of time to do it effectively, and I don't think I would be able to do it, myself.

What infuriates me is 3 different ongoing threads started in the kit review section, for the exact same subject.  Either because people were either too lazy or too ignorant to look further down the page or, God forbid, go to page 2 to see if there was an existing thread on the subject.

6 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

I much prefer that an older thread be continued rather than starting a new one on the exact same subject, especially kit reviews and such.  As stated, some of the older content can be invaluable, especially from members who are no longer with us.

Consider that Round 2 is reissuing many kits that were previously reissued about 10 years ago.  If a thread from 2008 already exists for the same basic kit (tool), doesn't it make more sense to continue that original thread, with further commentary/comparison with the new 2018 release?

Among everything else that Harry did for the forum, he was very diligent about combining threads when multiples of the same subject popped up.  Some other previous moderators were also very on top of this.  That's not a dig at the current moderators, it had to take an awful lot of time to do it effectively, and I don't think I would be able to do it, myself.

What infuriates me is 3 different ongoing threads started in the kit review section, for the exact same subject.  Either because people were either too lazy or too ignorant to look further down the page or, God forbid, go to page 2 to see if there was an existing thread on the subject.

This, sums it up.

6 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

....God forbid, go to page 2 to see if there was an existing thread on the subject.

Everybody knows there's nothing past page 1. Many who attempted to go to page 2 fell off the edge of their computer screens, never to be seen or heard from again.

Image result for there be dragons here

I like looking at older threads for information on builds I am doing. What I don't like is builders who just stop the thread, leaving it unfinished,

when I am interested to see what the finished model looks like.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Everybody knows there's nothing past page 1. Many who attempted to go to page 2 fell off the edge of their computer screens, never to be seen or heard from again.

Image result for there be dragons here

Page 2, the forbidden kingdom that only the bravest with the biggest coconuts go.

The only thing that really irritates me is when someone digs up a half finished build thread that someone had started 12 years ago and asks them "how the project is coming"!!

Seriously, if nothing has happened in the past decade, chances are it's over!

Who knows if the builder is even alive anymore! <_<

Steve

Older threads may still have value. Can I ask a qustion? Would the instigator of this thread automatically throw away all their old kits that were over a certain age? I think not! Older information can be just as valuable as new, particularly if seeking into about an older kit to build. Yes the Photobucket thing can be argued, as they have blocked a lot of photographic content and virtually destroyed many forums and sites other than this one did to corporate greed. They could have started charging globally from a certain date instead of blocking everything that went before. Not difficult to have set up on their part.

People that have recently returned to the hobby and are hungry for information will use the search function of this site. If it has been 30-40 years since the last time you touched a model, information from 6-12 years ago could be very useful. I search this site every day.