Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why do people dig up these old threads???

I'd rather see an old thread brought back, than see two or more on the same subject.  Especially when someone cranks up a new thread without having seen another one that was started the same day...

16 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Bringing back a 5 year plus old thread and then starting another one on the same subject is what I can't figure out. Why? 

Because I'm old and senile and keep thinking up interesting stuff to keep the board going.:wacko:

and the "search" function doesn't work very well.

Edited by Greg Myers

28 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Because I'm old and senile and keep thinking up interesting stuff to keep the board going.:wacko:

and the "search" function doesn't work very well.

Yes but if we delete old threads then we won't need the "search"  feature. Then we can have have a plethora of new threads asking the old questions over and over again. And when we do nobody can complain and post "TRY USING THE SEARCH FEATURE BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION" .  :rolleyes:  As for posting on "old" threads, well that's what they are here for

i was going to necro a thread just today with a question about a specific model. the thread was last posted in about 1 year prior to today. i searched her and could not find the answer, but found the thread, which was the history of that particular model with all of the different re-boxes. 

i ended up using google and found my answer elsewhere (ebay actually on an open box version for sale), but its funny that you asked why necro a thread. i was going to put it in that old thread because it was a thread specifically about this one particular model, and would be nice to have the info all  in one place. 

Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread. Someone might be able to add to it with more recent information which could benefit all. Be glad that this board allows older thread to be bumped up to the top when new replies are added. This keeps them relevant until they run their course. There are plenty of boards that don't and many interesting discussions get buried. If one does run across some thread, which might only be a few days old, and wants to post a comment, it might be kicked down so many pages that nobody will bother reading it.

I'm guilty of doing this. My point is usually to verify that something still works or if someone has a better way. If that irritates some, I'm sorry but I'd like to have all the knowledge I can get, be it old or new. Scrolling on by usually helps with that anxiety level.

I'm new to this forum and enjoying it immensely.  Currently lurking daily just to become more familiar and find the  old threads revived quite interesting and do well exposing the history that made this forum a very good one.  Just wish the PB logo didn't show up so often in them.  The off site search works very well and I don't care how old the info is if it's what I'm looking for.

Ray Federowicz

Okay, so many here thinks it's allright to dig up for example an old review thread every time Round 2 or Revell decides to reissue a kit that has been out last at least once 5-10 years ago and add to that old thread instead of starting a new one about the new reissue wich in fact can have been changed from the last one...well I don't but that's me and I might be old and stubborn.
I would start a new thread, describe what's in the kit with text and pictures and tell what's different from the earlier issue if there are any, and in this thread one can refer to the older review thread and link to it and all who are interested can click on the link and read it if they want to.

Of course all old threads should be left on the forum, there are lots and lots of information written by many of the talented and knowledgeable participants of this forum, so it's a goldmine of knowledge and shouldn't be lost...so it's not that I react to.
And it's allright to continue on an old project thread when it is started up again after a long hiatus, otherwise it's hard to keep up with what it is.

Edited by Force

3 minutes ago, Force said:

Okay, so many here thinks it's allright to dig up for example an old review thread every time Round 2 or Revell decides to reissue a kit that has been out last at least once 5-10 years ago and add to that old thread instead of starting a new one about the new reissue wich in fact can have been changed from the last one...well I don't but that's me.

How much has to be different for you to start a new topic discussing the same basic kit?

What's relevant for the 2001 reissue of AMT's '60 Ford Starliner is likely going to be, for the most part, relevant for the 2008 and 2017 reissues, too, so what is the benefit of posting the same info again? I can certainly understand someone showing and/or mentioning the new features-- tires, decal sheet, box -- but if the only thing different about the majority of the parts is the plastic color, why not just state the contents are mostly the same and focus on the new features? If there were images which have gone missing due to people not willing to pay for web hosting I completely understand why someone would post new images of the same parts. Even without images, a good description if the contents goes a long way toward providing valuable information, so images aren't always necessary.

I think the bigger issue is apathy, especially those who aren't willing to spend the time and effort to find the answers to the questions they have. There has been a pinned "How to Search..." topic for a few years now, and while one might argue it would be far more effective to have that post located somewhere much more visible, there are sill those aware of how to search, yet they choose not to. Maybe because it's a free forum and little to no effort and time is required for them to get what they want? Someone is always willing to just tell them the answer instead of showing them how to search? They just don't give a _____ and feel it's someone else's responsibility to fulfill their sense of entitlement by providing them with an answer which satisfies them? I can't answer for anyone else, but I can say with some confidence there are a few members which are either too spaced out on something, or simply don't have the mental capacity to effectively participate on this forum at a basic level. Not judging here, either, just going by years of observation and experience as a moderator here for a few years.

I think members wanting to contribute in a meaningful way is a factor, too. Not adding any reply when you have nothing new or relevant to contribute is an exercise in checking one's ego, and realizing you don't have to post something just because you want to leads to better, more thoughtful content. One need only look at members such as Mark B and Don Sikora II to see the immense value in the content of their posts. You'd never expect to see any members like that post "My xxxxxth post!" because they understand what quality over quantity means, and also understand the value in other member's posts. Sometimes there is nothing new, better, or more helpful which can be added, and that's OK.

TL/DR: If the subject is highly related, the posts discussing that same topic should be together. If something has drastically changed, a new post is a good idea.

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

How much has to be different for you to start a new topic discussing the same basic kit?

What's relevant for the 2001 reissue of AMT's '60 Ford Starliner is likely going to be, for the most part, relevant for the 2008 and 2017 reissues, too, so what is the benefit of posting the same info again? I can certainly understand someone showing and/or mentioning the new features-- tires, decal sheet, box -- but if the only thing different about the majority of the parts is the plastic color, why not just state the contents are mostly the same and focus on the new features? If there were images which have gone missing due to people not willing to pay for web hosting I completely understand why someone would post new images of the same parts. Even without images, a good description if the contents goes a long way toward providing valuable information, so images aren't always necessary.

I think the bigger issue is apathy, especially those who aren't willing to spend the time and effort to find the answers to the questions they have. There has been a pinned "How to Search..." topic for a few years now, and while one might argue it would be far more effective to have that post located somewhere much more visible, there are sill those aware of how to search, yet they choose not to. Maybe because it's a free forum and little to no effort and time is required for them to get what they want? Someone is always willing to just tell them the answer instead of showing them how to search? They just don't give a _____ and feel it's someone else's responsibility to fulfill their sense of entitlement by providing them with an answer which satisfies them? I can't answer for anyone else, but I can say with some confidence there are a few members which are either too spaced out on something, or simply don't have the mental capacity to effectively participate on this forum at a basic level. Not judging here, either, just going by years of observation and experience as a moderator here for a few years.

I think members wanting to contribute in a meaningful way is a factor, too. Not adding any reply when you have nothing new or relevant to contribute is an exercise in checking one's ego, and realizing you don't have to post something just because you want to leads to better, more thoughtful content. One need only look at members such as Mark B and Don Sikora II to see the immense value in the content of their posts. You'd never expect to see any members like that post "My xxxxxth post!" because they understand what quality over quantity means, and also understand the value in other member's posts. Sometimes there is nothing new, better, or more helpful which can be added, and that's OK.

TL/DR: If the subject is highly related, the posts discussing that same topic should be together. If something has drastically changed, a new post is a good idea.

I don't use the search feature here but I do use the pinned "How To Search" method and find it works very well. It may have deleted pictures but normally there is more information here that I would get if I asked the question on the forum. If I don't find my answer in the search I ask here.  

3 hours ago, Casey said:

X2

About half the time that I start responding to a thread, as I'm typing I will then realize that I really don't have anything productive to say, so I delete it.

This also often applies when I'm tempted to post a smart-a$$ response.  Sometimes just typing the words is cathartic enough that you

don't need to actually hit "submit", as long as you have impulse control.

If you don't have anything nice to say...

I have nothing against diggin up old threads for research, of course everyone can dig up any old thread they want, I don't care about that, it's the bringing them up to the surface with a new reply several years after the thread was last replied to that I don't see necessary...and some here seems to think it's funny to rub it in...none mentioned, none forgotten...pretty chilidish as I see it. 
But as most here seems to missunderstand what I meant with this post, maybe because of the language barrier, I give up and will not continue this so this whole thread may be deleted by the moderators as far as I'm concerned.

From a newbie viewpoint, my two cents.  Loved Bill's comment above.

I'm guilty as charged.  One time I posted what I thought was new, and someone posted a link to the same topic, and said I should have searched.  Another topic was about a specific kit, I did a search, found it was part of many other kits announced to be released, and it was years before I got on here, then someone said why did I dredge up an old topic.   Then I started a new one about that specific kit, and learned something, instead of getting berated.

If people are so sensitive about being such long-time sages, and despise newbies, then let's have a freaking flame war, the Admins have nothing better to do.  <_<

On 4/4/2018 at 3:43 PM, NYLIBUD said:

I'm wondering why the monitors of this forum,don't delete threads that are from more than,let's say 2+ years ago.Sort of clean house,if you will.I have also seen threads that were brought up again that are around 10-12 years old.

If that was the case, then why on earth would anyone ever want to read old novels, keep a library of classic literature or hold onto anything from those old dead writers like Shakespeare, Jack London, Charles Schultz or even Dr. Seuss? They're more than 2 years old, so they don't have anything to offer for newer readers, Right? Maybe it's better if we get rid of it so there's more room for only new writers.

Sorry to go on a rant, but I find it a little disingenuous for someone to tell the rest of us what's good enough for us to read. There's some wisdom that those old folks have to share with the young whippersnappers, if they would only just take the time to listen. 

I find a lot of good subjects that were written years ago in these threads. Information that may seem dated to some, but is fascinating in it's topics and advice that might never continue to be of value if someone didn't bring it back to share with others.

I can agree however, that threads that have no substantive information or contain lost photos can be deleted as they don't offer much to share if all the content isn't complete anyway.

So my advice, keep the good topics and photos - dump the junk and empty images.

BTW - If you think a thread has useless or questionable content, you CAN click on the little flag at the top of each topic and notify the moderators to check it out and delete it if necessary. That's what it's for!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Hakan......Force.       It looks as though some of the replies on this thread have been disagreeable to your point of view. Please do not take comments personally from other posters. This subject was bound to have many different opinions that will be different from your own. We all have our own thoughts on this subject, and your opinion is as valuable as those who think differently to you, so please do not be upset. My thoughts are different to yours, but I fully respect that you have a right to voice your opinion. That is what forums are about and at the end of the day we are all sharing in friendship a wonderful hobby.

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

From a newbie viewpoint, my two cents.  Loved Bill's comment above.

I'm guilty as charged.  One time I posted what I thought was new, and someone posted a link to the same topic, and said I should have searched.  Another topic was about a specific kit, I did a search, found it was part of many other kits announced to be released, and it was years before I got on here, then someone said why did I dredge up an old topic.   Then I started a new one about that specific kit, and learned something, instead of getting berated.

If people are so sensitive about being such long-time sages, and despise newbies, then let's have a freaking flame war, the Admins have nothing better to do.  <_<

Man does this sound familiar ?

Don't like it ? Don't look at it. That simple.

It's not just the newbies, they go after us old timers as well.

Go ahead,Post something original, I dare ya. :D I try.

Edited by Greg Myers

Several magazines (remember those? actually printed on paper by Luddites?) used to market their back-issues with the phrase "every magazine is new until YOU'VE read it".

Get it?

Same goes for old threads.

And speaking of old mags...there's FAR more useful technical and how-to info in the old ones produced well before the attention-span-of-a-goldfish, wouldn't-read-even-if-they-could-generation became the target market.

I think that as far as responding to old posts people don't stop to ask the question if the op is still around. 

Not much can really be done about it. As far as culling out old dead threads is not really practical.  It would take a lot of time for very little benefit. I think the mods have better things to do with their time.

Jeeze,sorry I mentioned it.I said old threads were cool.Just like old magazines,I have stacks,and stacks of old car magazines..It is really the lack of photos in some of the old threads.On here.But there is still some good info to read too.

4 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

I like looking at the old threads. My only objection is the lack of pictures and that isn't the sites fault. That idiocy falls at the feet of the failing Photobucket. I will be glad to see them go out of business.