Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why do people dig up these old threads???

Hey kids...great news for people who hate that pesky OLD information that's just past-it and of no value whatsoever. PeeBucket just informed me that my grandfathered-in price plan has expired. Since I just flat refuse to pay extortion, and because I also refuse to take the time to re-post all my old photos, pretty much ALL my threads up to now will shortly become useless.

For this reason, I'm going to request the mods remove them completely.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 years later...

Every thread in this forum is part of our hobbie’s history. I recently resurrected a thread of a magnificent Offy powered roadster because the model was beautifully crafted and I love dual overhead cam engines. Older threads have valuable construction information and just plain great models. I go back through almost all the pages of work in progress and finished models- it’s like a huge model car show I can see from my armchair. Also please note that our magazine is using threads for articles. Moderators, please back up this site and don’t delete anything!

On 4/16/2018 at 2:03 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Hey kids...great news for people who hate that pesky OLD information that's just past-it and of no value whatsoever. PeeBucket just informed me that my grandfathered-in price plan has expired. Since I just flat refuse to pay extortion, and because I also refuse to take the time to re-post all my old photos, pretty much ALL my threads up to now will shortly become useless.

For this reason, I'm going to request the mods remove them completely.  :D

I did not know Pee Bucket will remove old Posts here . I won't pay Extortion Either ! Myself , I am grateful to access Old Posts here . History is important .  "those not understanding History are condemned to repeat it ."   Thanx

On 4/8/2018 at 11:01 AM, Greg Myers said:

I think you hit it right on the head with your magazine comparison. I agree. Books too.:)

Realizing, of course, the picture only represents maybe 10% of my automotive library.:o Guilty AS CHARGED ! I had to downsize in 2004 .  In this Time Peroid I donated 75 % of my Library. 100 % or My Aurburn Spring / Fall and the couple Summer Shows/Auctions I accumluated since the '70's Posters . I asked for a Not for Profit Donation Receipt Slip for IRS . I was snnt one for $1700 . Regrets yes .  Room to still possess these Items , no .  I passed them on . Thanx

20180408_075930.jpg

I browse through ALL posts, older ones as well. I am glad they don't delete old posts because not everyone has seen them. I agree with the above comments that it's like a library keeping older books. The valuable information is still relevant and useful. 

This is how it happens...

At the bottom of a thread page there are enticing links.. some are ads, others are to board threads, I don’t know the criteria of how the board software selects then.

The link below to “Ford F-1 by Revell”, is a 2012 thread.

51ABBAD6-500E-4AEB-871A-60C68D4AD3E4.jpeg.60d2ecdc6867b3a9da6e5543a2542ba8.jpeg

On 4/4/2018 at 4:38 PM, Force said:

Why do a lot of people dig up old old threads on this forum?

I am actually Glad! that some "do dig them up!"  First off...I am not as savvy as most members here....still have minimal luck searching out possible old threads that may contain the information most likely "already been discussed " that would be beneficial to me & really never knew it existed!

Besides!   We come into this world with "nothing!"    We leave this world ..... With nothing but memories!!

What's so bad with viewing  threads that many of the newer member have yet to see? ....if you've seen it.....pass on by it.

i think it is amazing to necro an old thread about complaining about people who necro old threads.   (is this irony? im never really sure about what constitutes irony)

you have won the internet this week 🐹

Edited by youpey

19 hours ago, peteski said:

While bringing back some old  threads (as mentioned earlier) makes sense, and is useful, some are brought back out-of-the blue with absolutely no useful purposes.

Like when they're complaining about there no longer being photos in the thread? I had that happen to a few of my old Under Glass threads quite a while back. I was fighting the urge to suggest to the member "Well, maybe stop dredging up 12 year old threads".  So, I guess I'll indirectly suggest it here and now. 🤣

Another online forum I participate in has a warning when I try to respond to an old thread:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Not sure if this forum software has this type of capability.

On 4/27/2021 at 11:34 AM, John1955 said:

I browse through ALL posts, older ones as well. I am glad they don't delete old posts because not everyone has seen them. I agree with the above comments that it's like a library keeping older books. The valuable information is still relevant and useful. 

100% agreement. Good information has value indefinitely.

Newer / more recent / current info has no more intrinsic value just because it's hot-hip-and-happenin' today.

And the fact is that there's more quality and knowledge in the best of the old threads than we usually see here lately.

But then again, maybe I find value in older info because my attention span is somewhat longer than a goldfish's.

Many, if not most, questions modelers have asked recently have already been answered here in depth, especially tech questions about 1:1 vehicles and traditional modeling materials like plastic glues and lacquer and enamel paints.

The validity and truth of those answers won't diminish with time...and when new or updated info becomes available, like the reissue of a long-dead kit, or the deterioration of the performance of the dandy new-and-improved version of a particular material (PlastiKote primers for instance), it makes sense in some cases to tack the new info on to the end of an old thread, rather than acting like the wheel has just been invented.

Restarting a similar thread over and over happens around here sometimes. Fairly idiotic covering same ground over and over, with new info perhaps in another thread. Merged threads ok, but restarting a whole thread wastes reader’s and mod’s time.