Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why do people dig up these old threads???

Why do people start new threads?

Because this is an INTERACTIVE forum!  People will pose a question and someone will answer. OP now has the opportunity to ask for further clarification, or specific advice.

And we have crowdsourcing.. Jim asks a question... Bob answers it. Then Mike disputes Bob’s response.  Tom backs up Mike. Then three more guys add additional information of value..   then Henry pops on with a completely different solution to the old problem. Then everyone has gained. 

And don’t forget that there are responses from people who have no idea what they are talking about.  Oh yea, go ahead and soak a valuable old promo in gasoline! 😜

Take away the interaction, and you might as well cancel everyone’s ability to post and just have an archive of old information.  

Yes, there are many often repeated questions. Good example was a recent question about small size drill bits, even though a fairly recent thread already covered the subject very well. I simply posted a link to that older thread in the new thread.  There really is not need to basically repeat the info covered in the older thread.

I seldom post questions, due to having the found good info that has been posted in the past and no reason to reinvent the wheel with a new thread. 

I like the ones that dig up a 10 yr old thread with no responses in years to post one photo, then it drops back down to the bottom with no responses a second time.

8 hours ago, RSchnell said:

...I like the ones that dig up a 10 yr old thread with no responses in years to post one photo, then it drops back down to the bottom with no responses a second time.

There are some of us who have ongoing builds from a decade or more back, that have been patiently waiting on the shelf for the muse to return...or to just have enough respite from real-life to get any significant modeling done. Like me.

And I enjoy seeing other folks make an occasional spurt of progress...or sometimes even complete...a project that's been dormant "too long".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

54 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

There are some of us who have ongoing builds from a decade or more back, that have been patiently waiting on the shelf for the muse to return...or to just have enough respite from real-life to get any significant modeling done. Like me.

And I enjoy seeing other folks make an occasional spurt of progress...or sometimes even complete...a project that's been dormant "too long".

I'm certainly guilty of that. I'm currently working on a build that I started in 2013 and I have others that took me a number of years to complete from start to finish.

Let's not forget the occasions when a question posted to the forum gets answered with a snarky comment indicating that that question was answered in 2012 and the OP should learn to use the search function. At least a link is "thoughtfully" provided most times.

There have also been times that I've done a general internet search for automotive or model related information and received results that link back to older threads on the MCM forum.

I'm glad to know that an apparent majority of this group's members seem to recognize the value of the information in older threads. There are honestly times when I held back on commenting on an amazing build that I discovered here because of the age of the thread and being called out for resurrecting a thread that is now "irrelevant" because it's too old.

Just because a thread is "old" doesn't mean that everybody has seen it. 

David G.

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I never go into the WIP section of the forum, so not sure how you can surmise that's what I'm talking about. My free time is limited due to hectic work schedules, if I want to look at unfinished projects I have my own pile to look at!  

18 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

I never go into the WIP section of the forum, so not sure how you can surmise that's what I'm talking about. My free time is limited due to hectic work schedules, if I want to look at unfinished projects I have my own pile to look at!  

You never previously stated "I never go into the WIP section of the forum" as far as I'm aware, so any "surmise" I may or may not have made was based on available information.

And the topic, if I'm not mistaken, is OLD THREADs. Nowhere is it stated what particular kinds of old threads we're allowed to discuss.

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You never previously stated "I never go into the WIP section of the forum" as far as I'm aware, so any "surmise" I may or may not have made was based on available information.

And the topic, if I'm not mistaken, is OLD THREADs. Nowhere is it stated what particular kinds of old threads we're allowed to discuss.

You "assumed" I was referring to WIP section as you cited your own builds"(or lack thereof)" as an example. Either way I'm "done" with the topic. 

For the record, it doesn't matter if you add to an old thread or start a new one on a topic already discussed, just like it doesn't matter if we have threads complaining about it. It all adds to the discussion. Sometimes we merge threads (usually if they were started about the same time) sometimes we allow multiple threads on previously covered subjects. There is no scientific or mathematical formula that we follow. Generally we ask, "does it hurt anyone?" (butt hurt doesn't count here) when we decide to get involved as moderators. While it would be nice to have a single thread with all the information on a subject, it just isn't practical. Some folks will not search for old threads. Some folks will not read through long threads. Some foks want quick short answers. Some folks want longer, more technical answers. It also can help the board to have multiple "hits" when someone does a google search on a modeling subject.

Moral of the story:  You can be on either side of the fence here, but we aren't going to be forcing folks to do one or the other anytime soon.

We have a new "thingy" since the board software was updated.... In an old thread that hasn't been posted in for, let's say 6 months, when a new post is added to bump the topic, there is a little banner above the latest post that will say "6 months later". That should help to figure out how old some info is, and help differentiate between new and old info....

On 5/1/2021 at 12:58 PM, Xingu said:

For the record, it doesn't matter if you add to an old thread or start a new one on a topic already discussed, just like it doesn't matter if we have threads complaining about it. It all adds to the discussion. Sometimes we merge threads (usually if they were started about the same time) sometimes we allow multiple threads on previously covered subjects. There is no scientific or mathematical formula that we follow. Generally we ask, "does it hurt anyone?" (butt hurt doesn't count here) when we decide to get involved as moderators. While it would be nice to have a single thread with all the information on a subject, it just isn't practical. Some folks will not search for old threads. Some folks will not read through long threads. Some foks want quick short answers. Some folks want longer, more technical answers. It also can help the board to have multiple "hits" when someone does a google search on a modeling subject.

Moral of the story:  You can be on either side of the fence here, but we aren't going to be forcing folks to do one or the other anytime soon.

Well said, Michael..

15 hours ago, slusher said:

Well said, Michael..

I agree! I always search the site first if I am looking for tips or techniques, or examples of models I intend to build. I would rather read a dozen 1 page threads than one that is 12 pages long.🤔

OP: “Why do people dig up these old threads?”

—-I think it’s because it gives the appearance of being respectful... like your not just here to waste people’s time and you’ve done your due diligence. 

I am the original poster.
For the record, I have nothing against old topics, it's not that, I read them myself from time to time...but...I don't reply and with that dig them up to the surface if it's several months or even years since the last reply in the topic was written...and if I do, wich is very rare, it's to add important and useful information to the topic itself.
The old topics are here to find for every one and it's for sure a treasure, but I prefer to leave them where they are as topics from down deep are "cold" for most people who has been members here for a long time...otherwise they would not be down there would they...because "hot" topics stay near the surface on the first few pages in the categories regardless of how old they are.
Yes every topic you haven't read is "new" to you but for the people who have read them months or years ago they are quite cold and not worth digging up again as at least I have left them allready and moved on...on the other hand, some topics can be worth to reintroduce like if a project that has been sleeping for a while and came back to the bench and being worked on again or something like that, but most aren't.
So most of the time I think it's better to start a new topic instead of digging up an old one from several years back where pictures in the thread may not work and are long gone, and the OP and others who has replied to the specific topic might not even be here on the forum anymore...if you want to ask the OP or someone else in a topic from several months or years back a question about something...send a PM to them instead of putting it in a reply wich automatically will lift the old topic from the down deep where it was to the top of the first page in that category.

You don't have to agree with me but that's my view of the matter and lets leave it with that.

Edited by Force