Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mufflers on them noisey 4 bangers ?

whats is with them kids putting them ( if I may say ' fart cans') ON THEM little cars, they make a ton of nosie, but go no where,   sound like a weed wacker, 2 stroke engine with no muffler,   I don't understand whats that is about,,  other then they drive me crazy...

they still do 0 - 60 mph in 30 seconds..   then I've seen them at a red light with there foot on the floor, and the engine keeps hitting the Rev, limiter,, what? why? 

The car world has always been full to overflowing with dwerbs, tweeps, and various other subspecies of moronic wannabe posers who have no clue. The fartcan-muffler crowd is just one of the latest incarnations of the phenomenon. Not really any different from the generation of idiots who thought jacked up rear ends on long spring shackles was a thing.

"Look at me!!! I'm an ignorant Richard and I don't know nuthin' 'bout Richard...but I do what everybody else does in my pathetic attempt to be cool."

There's never been a shortage of sheep-like followers of any stupid trend. There never will be.

17 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The car world has always been full to overflowing with dwerbs, tweeps, and various other subspecies of moronic wannabe posers who have no clue. The fartcan-muffler crowd is just one of the latest incarnations of the phenomenon. Not really any different from the generation of idiots who thought jacked up rear ends on long spring shackles was a thing.

"Look at me!!! I'm an ignorant Richard and I don't know nuthin' 'bout Richard...but I do what everybody else does in my pathetic attempt to be cool."

There's never been a shortage of sheep-like followers of any stupid trend. There never will be.

I know what you mean.  When I was a kid, it was a set of burned out glass pack mufflers on a Buick 455 GS.  I 'd get that puppy up to about 90 at night and let off the gas pedal and watch the light show in the rear view mirror.  I thought it was cool.

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

or the booming base that you can hear 3 cars away with your windows rolled up

What they don't understand is that nobody is impressed!

All I hear when one of these pulls up is every loose nut, bolt & clip that's rattling loose on the turd that they're driving.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

48 minutes ago, 440 Dakota said:

the bikers still insist on hitting the throttle at least 20 times at each red light esp the doctor lawyer type Harley owners on their sporties

It's the only way that you can keep a Harley running at an idle! :D

Seriously, some of these guys are the worst posers on the planet.

They want everyone to think that they're big tough bikers on a mean machine, but they come off more like a 6 year old looking for attention.

Steve

Just so you know not all kids do it, my young nephew just recently pulled the loud exhaust off his Golf and replaced it with a quieter (but still performance) system. The PO had installed the loud setup along with a bunch of Dynamat to try to kill the noise (somewhat) but it was still too loud inside the car, let alone outside.

2 hours ago, Psychographic said:

In my neck of the woods, I don't see any of those Ricers anymore. What I do see, is some very nice imports cruising around these days.

Same out here for the most part,  fart cans dont seem to be as popular anymore,  I love me imports, but darn they were annoying.

Edited by martinfan5

11 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

I know what you mean.  When I was a kid, it was a set of burned out glass pack mufflers on a Buick 455 GS.  I 'd get that puppy up to about 90 at night and let off the gas pedal and watch the light show in the rear view mirror.  I thought it was cool.

:D  I wasn't immune from dumb stuff to do to a car. 

When I was 18, I put 7X15 chrome-reverse Chevy rims on my hot-rod Bug, with wide, flat treaded bias plies. They looked cool, but until I learned to tie down the swing-axle rear suspension, the little car would try to trip itself during really hard cornering. The huge increase in unsprung weight made it ride like a buckboard too...not at all the kind of handling I was after (actually, they worked pretty well for slaloms in a dead-smooth parking lot, but on real roads with bumps and dips, they made the car skitter and thump).

But those of us who stay with performance mods learn from our mistakes...hopefully.  B)

I did some dumb stuff 30 years ago as a teenager.   But relatively mild...  I didn't do stickers or aftermarket wheels or mufflers, but did get briefly into the then-popular fad of tinted headlight and taillight covers.   I did put clear ones on my '86 Mustang LX--they worked ok until one of them flew off on the freeway (they were attached w/ Velcro).  I had the blackout ones on my '87 Mustang GT.  

My older brother seems to have never outgrown the teenager stuff--he still has tinted headlight covers, decals and Pep Boys type stuff on several of his cars, trucks and SUVs. 

Just now, Day 2 Muscle said:

Around here, NO fart-cans!! Just diesels with trash cans hanging under the rear or sewer pipes up thru the bed!!!! Makes my old Ford with the headers dropped sorta unique:D

We have those 'coal-rolling' morons around here also... saw a Ram pickup the other day that had a pipe in the bed with an opening that must have been as big as my head...

I never really thought about it until I saw this post. I can't remember the last time I saw a Honda with a "Fart Can" on it or even the loud music with the base that would disrupt your heart beat. The young'ns  are still lowering there sad little cars until they bounce down the road on the suspension bump stops and the windows are all painted black along with the wheels. Some will add some contrasting bright color to bits of trim but otherwise not as offensive as they once were. There are far more lifted trucks "Burning Coal" and Bull Testicles dangling from the underside of the bed. Hopefully this to will pass.

Edited by espo

Hot Rodding was once described as a "Monkey see monkey do " type hobby. 

Many current trends see this to be true. " Artillery wheels" come to mind.

The wheels shown below, listed as "Vintage" artillery wheels.

It doesn't end.:lol:

65dodge-heavyartillery3.jpg

listing_pic_1331037_1484505129.jpeg

Edited by Greg Myers

But you know, it's been around for quite awhile. :wacko:

Yep, GUILTY of this!! In 74 I bought a 65 Cutlass, couldn't afford air shocks for the wide tires, so I jacked it up, got the shock extend as far as they would go and put muffler clamps on them, talk about bouncing:rolleyes: but it was JACKED UP...

Back in the early 90's the whole Lawyer on an HD thing started. All those that I rode with or Dad's old Bro's hated it. I remember Laconia during those times. We hazed those DB's as though they were redheaded stepchildren. But I think the Chamber of Commerce got involved and the cops came down on anyone who looked unsavory. That meant me and mine had to be on our best. That wasn't an option so we slowly stopped attending. Now it's wannabe's and Tools who attend. With the odd legit rebel intermingled.

My old Knuckle idled just fine but the rad cam on my later Shovel's usually needed a little throttle on occasion to keep running. But I was never one of those that throttle bumped just to be noticed. I let the bike do that on its own. I had a rigid jockey shifted bike when Jesse James was still wetting his Pampers.

2 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Hot Rodding was once described as a "Monkey see monkey do " type hobby. 

I think thats very true. Automotive trends bear that out.  However most of the trends that become popular, within ten years are more dated than the mullet hair cut. Pastel, monochromatic billet rods with grey tweed interiors. Pro-street everything. Lowered mini-trucks. Four doors with the suspension extended to push the wheel/tire out of the wheel well. What were those called again?

A lot of these mods reduce the performance of the vehicle or cause unnatural wear on parts. These trends die the quickest. 

I have a friend with a mono-turquoise 40 Ford. It was his dad's hot rod. 80's graphics, Chevy 350, IFS, billet everything, flush tail lights, tweed interior, digital dash. All steel, mechanically sound. He's having a heck of a time selling it. He gets the same line from every prospective buyer. "Just to pull this car out of the 80's would be new paint, chrome, interior, at a minimum. I can offer you $4,000." It's driving him nuts. I keep telling him, that primer and rechroming the grill and bumpers would at least give him a shot, but moneys tight these days.

Jumping on a trend is a great way to make your baby hard to sell down the road.