Model Cars Magazine Forum

This dio is really great!  Lots of detail, & quite realistic.  Is it just me, or do the sails seem to indicate that the wind is blowing from right to left; but the flag seems to indicate that the wind is blowing from left to right?

Haven't seen the show.

I wasn't aware of the book or show, but I am somewhat familiar with the expedition they are based on.

One of the modern theories is lead poisoning played a part. Canned food was relatively new and the cans were sealed with lead solder. The ships were also provided with distillation systems allowing them to make drinking water from sea water. These systems used lead tubing to collect the condensed water. After months at sea and then more months trapped on the ice the crew was slowly poisoned by their food and water. The brain is particularly sensitive to lead poisoning and can lead to irrational behavior.

The snow and ice detail is amazing. Other than the flag issue the only detail that jumps out at me is the lack of icicles which I imagine would have been plentiful. 

Better than anything I can do. 

25 minutes ago, Jim B said:

This dio is really great!  Lots of detail, & quite realistic.  Is it just me, or do the sails seem to indicate that the wind is blowing from right to left; but the flag seems to indicate that the wind is blowing from left to right?

Haven't seen the show.

That is a common error on sailing ship models. People are used to flags trailing the direction of travel, but being wind powered on sailing ships the flag should point with the wind. Kind of surprising to see that on a model that shows this level of skill. Not really sure how else it could be explained though.

1 hour ago, Aaronw said:

That is a common error on sailing ship models. People are used to flags trailing the direction of travel, but being wind powered on sailing ships the flag should point with the wind. Kind of surprising to see that on a model that shows this level of skill. Not really sure how else it could be explained though.

True.  And you see it in lithographs of the period as well.