Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT 2018- California Pete TMC Transportion livery is DONE!!!

Not much to show at the moment. Frame is going together and working on glueing engine halves and axles togeoand cleaning them up. 

This is going to be more out of the box with a few add ons, it’ll have the Mercury Sleeper on it, metallic black with TMC livery on it. 

I asked a friend of mine if he has a highboy flatbed and said he’d look, just in case he doesn’t, if anyone has one they can afford to let go? Let me know and see what can be worked out! 

86EE2DF6-5522-464C-8E2B-FA3ABD6B06B8.jpeg.5c4b41b12087611ebd2f105a553400e1.jpeg

Mercury sleeper in upper left corner..

00EBE2F4-1694-4E65-B190-16CD0D4DC871.jpeg.9c1e2dcfbc5972d5eac7dcdeb8d97765.jpeg

Edited by DrKerry

This will be fun, I am doing the same kit with a Log trailer for the 2018 TAT. Being that we are doing the same kit, it will push me to put my all into it. Should be fun.

I look forward to seeing how your progresses. I really don't care who wins the TAT, I like being pushed to get it done and some friendly competition.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Good to see ya back Kerry ! Progress looks good 

I've been slacking too..warm weather tends to drive me outside away from the bench 

Same here but I wish that was the case!! I have two hot rods I’ve been building and they’ve pulled me from the rigs for a bit!! Working on my Shelby hill climber and a C1 67 Camaro!!

If it weren't for the fact that I work from home, I would never get anything done on my models. But as it is, in the afternoons things slow down and I can work on my models for about 3-4 hours a day in between phone calls. I can even be working on stuff while I talk to customers, I just can't get up and go spray a body or anything, I have to stay at my desk/model table. 

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

If it weren't for the fact that I work from home, I would never get anything done on my models. But as it is, in the afternoons things slow down and I can work on my models for about 3-4 hours a day in between phone calls. I can even be working on stuff while I talk to customers, I just can't get up and go spray a body or anything, I have to stay at my desk/model table. 

Dang!! I need a job like that!!!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

I have gotten the chassis mostly done except a few small parts, then it’s time for paint!

engine is mostly together as well, then paint for it too!! Hopefully by next week both will be in paint and ready for bright work! Then off to the body!!!

On 5/29/2018 at 8:08 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looking good!! I had never seen a fifth wheel release at the rear, but I learned something too. I did a little research and I did find some pictures of some with the release at the rear. Looking forward to seeing more!!

I wanted to build it to look like an older Pete as it is I guess! Lol, doesn’t matter I caught the handle when moving things for paint and knocked it off and now on the front side of the fifth wheel... 

chassis is in flat black, need one more coat then onto metallic black!!! Engine is ready for primer grey then to the Allison color green. Then onto wheels and tires then body. Then hopefully I can find a flat bed trailer to put behind it.... 

If you are doing an older Pete the engine was most likely white as both Kenworth and Peterbilt had most of the engines for their trucks painted white from the manufacturers.
But of course there were exceptions to the rule. ;)

23 hours ago, Force said:

If you are doing an older Pete the engine was most likely white as both Kenworth and Peterbilt had most of the engines for their trucks painted white from the manufacturers.
But of course there were exceptions to the rule. ;)

Thank you for the info Håkan, were they gloss white?

8 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Thank you for the info Håkan, were they gloss white?

Much like all engine paint there was a slight gloss, depending on the surface and age as to how glossy. White can be tricky. I personally would recommend Lacquer instead of Enamel, because it goes on much thinner and doesn't hide detail like many enamels do. My L9000 Ford was painted with Napa brand white Lacquer in a spray can. White enamels are often thick and hide detail before you can get good coverage. Here's a 12v-71 in a KW.

24148152038_acd7f19a53_k.jpgIMG_6191 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

32 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Much like all engine paint there was a slight gloss, depending on the surface and age as to how glossy. White can be tricky. I personally would recommend Lacquer instead of Enamel, because it goes on much thinner and doesn't hide detail like many enamels do. My L9000 Ford was painted with Napa brand white Lacquer in a spray can. White enamels are often thick and hide detail before you can get good coverage. Here's a 12v-71 in a KW.

24148152038_acd7f19a53_k.jpgIMG_6191 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Kool!! Thanks for the info Brian!!!