Model Cars Magazine Forum

keep stopping at the end of my builds

On 4/8/2018 at 5:47 AM, MrObsessive said:

It's also one of the reasons I've taken up to doing something "easy" for a build right after I get done with something difficult. Brings some of the fun back into building, and I can be satisfied that I got something else done. ;)

I've done something similar for years... when I was still working,  most model builds were just simple, out of the box kind of builds. Nice paint and such, but if it fit a certain way out of the box, that's how it went together. Likely, I did it that way because I strove for perfection in my working life and the scale builds were an escape of sorts. Spend a week block sanding polyester primer and another blocking high build primer and something simple is required...for the sake of sanity. ;)

Now that I've retired, I spend far more time on the details of my scale builds. I don't think I'll ever get to the point of striving for perfection, simply because the cars nowadays are static and squirreled away in a cabinet when done, but the need for the "I can do it better..." is still there.

I've gone back a few years and noticed a marked improvement in what gets built today, compared to my working days. That's all I need.

That being said, there are maybe a half-dozen cars that have ended up back in their boxes since I retired... they'll come out when my skills improve in whatever way I felt they were lacking. That's good, too.

I am near the same way OP.  I am obsessed with achieving perfection on models, or at least "visible" perfection. I do now try to let a few things slide. But things like body paint must be perfect. Luckily I now have a great success rate with painting and achieving realistic finishes. But it has taken a long time of experience. 

I think what it takes is a culmination of skills to finally put together the project you're happy with. I believe I can confidently say I can paint engine, body, interior and detail them with among the highly skilled in our hobby. HOWEVER The one thing that I have not mastered yet it window trim. I cannot mask and paint windows to save my life. I  read the tutorials, I watch the videos, and I still cannot get the desired finish I want. It is without a doubt the one thing that is keeping me from finishing my models now. I can get a believable look if I hand paint them with vallejo acrylics and tediously scrape straight edges with a toothpick. But I dread doing it and it takes hours.

For the hobby in general one thing I've also tried to realize is that in order to build a model properly, it takes time. Understand that it is a process. I try to look at models like paintings now. Everyone has their own way of doing it.

I usually start off painting the body of a kit first. But I sometimes also like to paint the undercarriage first depending on the color. I then try to detail paint that and add the suspension bits and make it look realistic and interesting. And the thing is you can get away with a blemish or two because you can weather it, make it look driven, etc. Then before you know it you have a beautiful looking underside of a car. Half your build is complete and you are inspired to continue and match the rest of the kit with your previous results.

Edited by DiscoRover007

On 4/5/2018 at 3:18 PM, Aaronw said:

I love starting projects, not so good at finishing them.

You can keep putting problems off until you get to the end, then you have to deal with them. Much easier to put it aside and start something new.

Another thing I've found is I am much better about finishing models when I have a place to display it. I have had a steep decline since my display case got filled. I had a particularly productive period right after I built it and had a ton of room to fill.

It takes away some of the fun if finishing the model just means you have to find someplace safe to put it. 

Ummmm, since you said you really worked at finishing builds for your case, and when it got filled you were not as (for lack of a better term that I just cannot think of right now) productive, I think I would simply get another case! And just remember we are nearly humans and will never be perfect. The main goal is to do the best you can at that time. If something does go wrong, don't throw it away. Either go back to fix it or if you really don't want to try to fix it, put it in your parts box, not the trash. Who knows, it could fit into another project and be just what you need. The trick is build for fun, not for perfection. And I am just as guilty as some have said they are. Painting is my problem, but I have been told to just continue to try to get better with each new project, and sooner than you realize, each paint job will probably be better. Again have fun and a relaxing time and forget about it HAS to be perfect.

Edited by socal76

40 minutes ago, socal76 said:

Ummmm, since you said you really worked at finishing builds for your case, and when it got filled you were not as (for lack of a better term that I just cannot think of right now) productive, I think I would simply get another case!

I built the one I have, it isn't a prefab Ikea kind of thing. It took some time to build in the evenings and weekends. Technically it isn't actually done since I've never got around to wiring the lights....  :rolleyes:

It hasn't been this empty in a long time.

display.jpg

I do have plans to do another but, that is going to fill a wall. I have to design it, then it takes time to build and is a much lower priority than some other large home DIY projects.

Building the case isn't like a model where an hour here and there gets it done, it is a substantial time commitment and can't just be tucked into a shoe box until I have time to get back to it. There is also the cost to consider, wood, glass and the misc hardware adds up quickly. Then there is the matter of a truck for hauling all the bits and pieces. A truck is something I no longer have.

I agree just getting another display case would be nice, if only it were that simple. I can't do anything the easy way. :)

Edited by Aaronw

Aaron, first of all I did not know you built the case you have. It looks kind of impressive! I would think the lighting would make it even more impressive. Time (and funds) may or may not be an issue, but that lighting would just make me want to get it installed and then start refilling the shelves. And your plans for the new case sound even more impressive. Maybe because I do not possess the cabinetry skills you have and I am envious (or maybe even jealous). You will have to show some pics on the progress for both cases. Good luck and show the WIP pics when you can.

13 hours ago, socal76 said:

Aaron, first of all I did not know you built the case you have. It looks kind of impressive! I would think the lighting would make it even more impressive. Time (and funds) may or may not be an issue, but that lighting would just make me want to get it installed and then start refilling the shelves. And your plans for the new case sound even more impressive. Maybe because I do not possess the cabinetry skills you have and I am envious (or maybe even jealous). You will have to show some pics on the progress for both cases. Good luck and show the WIP pics when you can.

The lighting is the same problem as the models. Everything is there and in place, wires just just have to be connected, I'll get to it, its only been 4 years.... :wacko:

tonight is going to be a big night for me. i will be putting on the decals on my renault 5 kit and calling it done. it was a horrible build with terrible detailing, flash and mold lines, but i kept going. i was calling it a practice build for my tamiya kit that i am working on next. i had quite a lot of mistakes in it (more than normal even) but i tried to fix it, and if i couldnt, i just kept going on.

its looks like it will be a 5 foot model for me (looks good at 5 foot distance)

however, this will be the first completed model that i finished all the way through in YEARS.

1 hour ago, youpey said:

tonight is going to be a big night for me. i will be putting on the decals on my renault 5 kit and calling it done. it was a horrible build with terrible detailing, flash and mold lines, but i kept going. i was calling it a practice build for my tamiya kit that i am working on next. i had quite a lot of mistakes in it (more than normal even) but i tried to fix it, and if i couldnt, i just kept going on.

its looks like it will be a 5 foot model for me (looks good at 5 foot distance)

however, this will be the first completed model that i finished all the way through in YEARS.

I can relate. In the last 6 months or so, I've hauled out and dragged across the finish line at least three models I started and got over 75% done more than 25 years ago. The work I did then isn't always up to the work I'm doing now, but I decided not to use that as an excuse to NEVER get them done. They're not perfect, but they're in the FINISHED column and I'm driving on.