Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT New Releases April 2018

20 hours ago, regular guy said:

Missed one.

1958 Edsel.Gee not only that but it's a Pacer!

My only comment is I never saw an Edsel turned into a go-fast.

With mags and hopped up engine.They were just Edsels.

5aca74a713d7b_AMT1958EdselPacer.jpg.8551e804997dbe72ddcd50b2152b3851.jpg

Fellas,

From "back in the day".

Georges Edsel Custom.jpg

22 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Cat herding is pretty easy. I've been doing it for years. Let them think that they're in charge. 

Let's face it, James. When it comes to model car kits, there ain't much to talk about except new box art and the same rehashed kits with new decals and tires.

From Round2, pretty much. My overall point was the wild rampaging topic change of another one of this guy's threads where he started it to a very specific idea - April 2018 kits and now we've veered off into random things from the past 6 months.

On 4/8/2018 at 3:59 PM, regular guy said:

Missed one.

1958 Edsel.Gee not only that but it's a Pacer!

My only comment is I never saw an Edsel turned into a go-fast.

With mags and hopped up engine.They were just Edsels.

5aca74a713d7b_AMT1958EdselPacer.jpg.8551e804997dbe72ddcd50b2152b3851.jpg

Is a Pacer, cheaper is Ranger without chrome strip on front fender and door. Citation, Corsair, Pacer, Ranger.

The Ranger and Pacer are based on the Ford Fairlane,  the station wagons Roundup, Villager Bermuda on the Ford wagons, and the more expensive Corsair and Citation are based on the larger Mercury Montclair.

image.png.f49ad0c4cb2db3cf9e3cfd41ca20e50f.png

That's pretty much how I'd do mine............sans the Connie kit of course. ;)

On 4/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, Force said:

The Ranger and Pacer are based on the Ford Fairlane,  the station wagons Roundup, Villager Bermuda on the Ford wagons, and the more expensive Corsair and Citation are based on the larger Mercury Montclair.

And IIRC, that was for '58 only. All '59 Edsels were pretty much based on the cheaper '59 Ford platform. I'm guessing by the end of '58 Ford had figured that the Edsel wasn't going to last past another model year as the '60 MY was cut very short. Ending at the end of November of '59 with not even 3000 cars built.

' Especially look at those headlamp bezels, I assumed it had to be photoshopped. I guess I was wrong.  '

I don't know what era custom that is or what has been done to it but I can comment on lead sleds.

If you want an idea how it was done pick up Tex Smith's 'How to Build A Custom Car'.

Working in metal and using lead to fill and smooth is a whole lot of work.

Done right it will last forever.

Bondo can loosen and fall off along with the custom paint on top of it.

Little embarrassing when everybody is looking at your way out custom.

7 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

And IIRC, that was for '58 only. All '59 Edsels were pretty much based on the cheaper '59 Ford platform. I'm guessing by the end of '58 Ford had figured that the Edsel wasn't going to last past another model year as the '60 MY was cut very short. Ending at the end of November of '59 with not even 3000 cars built.

Apparently, the Comet was originally supposed to be part of the Edsel line.  Seeing how well compacts did in that time, you have to wonder how that would have affected the survival of the Edsel name.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Excerpted from Wikipedia:

Relationship to the Edsel[edit]

The Comet was originally planned as an Edsel model. Ford announced the end of the Edsel program on November 19, 1959. However, production of 1960 Edsels continued until late November. The Comet was reassigned to the Lincoln-Mercury division to sell at Mercury-Comet dealerships, where it was marketed as a stand-alone product for 1960 and 1961 as the Comet without any Mercury divisional badging.

Developed concurrently with the Ford Falcon, early pre-production photographs of the sedan show a car remarkably close to the Comet that emerged, but with a split grille following the pattern established by Edsel models. Early Ford styling mules for the station wagon model carried the Edsel name as well.

At their debut, the split grille was replaced by one more in keeping with Mercury's design themes. However, the canted elliptical taillights, first seen on the Edsel prototype, were used and carried the "E" (Edsel) part number on them. While the short lived 1960 Edsels used elliptical shaped taillights, the lenses used on both cars differed in length and width. Certain other parts from the 1959 Edsel parts bin, including the parking lights and dashboard knobs, were used on the first-year Comet. Keys for the 1960 and 1961 Comets were shaped like Edsel keys, with the center bar of the "E" removed to form a "C".

The "comet" name was trademarked to Cotner-Bevington as the Comet Coach Company, building ambulance and hearse commercial vehicles. Ford bought the name in 1959.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Comet

On 4/14/2018 at 1:43 PM, oldcarfan said:

I so wish someone would tool up that generation  and the one before that of Toyota truck in 1/24th.

At least for the same generation as the ex Lindberg AMT kit, they have it available in 1/24th scale from Aoshima. 

20180416_201504.thumb.jpg.18bfe29a97fa63ae7b0181b0c937850c.jpg

Also, before anyone wants to jump on the "I don't want a lifted truck" bandwagon, this truck can be built stock as well. All of the parts in the greyed out "do not use" suggestions in the sprue layout in the instructions are the stock suspension parts shared from other versions of this kit. The only parts to build a stock version you have to source from somewhere in your parts boxes, another kit, or the aftermarket is a set of wheels and tires, or just a stock style tire to replace the kit supplied Super Swampers if you choose to use the kit Centerline style wheels. 

20180416_200546.thumb.jpg.15656f0e38230d780b9365fddf18ac9a.jpg

I did notice something while taking these pics that I didn't know until now, there are actually TWO versions of this kit!! :o:huh: The version in the first pic is a US LHD version, but I found that another version of this kit I had bought is a JDM RHD only version that doesn't include the LHD dashboard, so if anyone gets this kit to build a US LHD version, make sure it has the box art as in my first pic and not this box art:

20180416_200454.thumb.jpg.2cd6525058cd4a8e01caf231c6e317de.jpg

The correct US version also has "1995 model" and "Left Hand Drive Model" called out on the top and sides of the box as well as being labeled as a Toyota and not a Hilux as the JDM version is, and the US version also states "US Pickup Truck" on the box top and sides. The US version is the bottom kit in this pic with the red "5" and the JDM is the top with the red "13". 

20180416_201602.thumb.jpg.8dc8118201a6fec53bb9ce71470ea20d.jpg 

On 4/14/2018 at 11:39 PM, Bucky said:

Excerpted from Wikipedia:

Relationship to the Edsel[edit]

The Comet was originally planned as an Edsel model. Ford announced the end of the Edsel program on November 19, 1959. However, production of 1960 Edsels continued until late November. The Comet was reassigned to the Lincoln-Mercury division to sell at Mercury-Comet dealerships, where it was marketed as a stand-alone product for 1960 and 1961 as the Comet without any Mercury divisional badging.

Developed concurrently with the Ford Falcon, early pre-production photographs of the sedan show a car remarkably close to the Comet that emerged, but with a split grille following the pattern established by Edsel models. Early Ford styling mules for the station wagon model carried the Edsel name as well.

At their debut, the split grille was replaced by one more in keeping with Mercury's design themes. However, the canted elliptical taillights, first seen on the Edsel prototype, were used and carried the "E" (Edsel) part number on them. While the short lived 1960 Edsels used elliptical shaped taillights, the lenses used on both cars differed in length and width. Certain other parts from the 1959 Edsel parts bin, including the parking lights and dashboard knobs, were used on the first-year Comet. Keys for the 1960 and 1961 Comets were shaped like Edsel keys, with the center bar of the "E" removed to form a "C".

The "comet" name was trademarked to Cotner-Bevington as the Comet Coach Company, building ambulance and hearse commercial vehicles. Ford bought the name in 1959.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Comet

Bucky , to add to your information in a positive way may I add this info ? A long time friend way back showed me a '60 & '61 MY's Comet Taillight Lenses . He worked i the Parts Dept at a Ford Dealer . He overlaid these with one another .  The difference was the part number differentiated by the MY code : 60 + 61 SAE . Just for gigging and pooping he overlaid a '60 MY Edsel Taillight over both one at a time . The difference was the part number , SAE 60 , once again . It may have been an E were included for both . A result from as when the lenses were tolled up, the Edsel II was planned for Production . The Taillight Body , Gasket and Attaching Screws are the same  .  The '59 Edsel used the same Taillight Lenses ,  Taillight body and screws an contemporary Lincolns . Albeit different part numbers with SAE 59 - E . Robert McNamara hated the Edsel and was suspicious of it . His idea was efficient small cars . Falcon and reluctantly the Edsel II (Comet)  were promoted by , pushed and approved by Robert . He changed the Edsel into a Ford and asked why do we need 2 Fords ? Robert McNamara controlled the purse strings . He was tapped to be included in President Kennedy's Cabinet , controlling purse strings . He eliminated redundancy on Tax Dollar Spending there also . Yes . I plan on buying yet another Edsel , to convert a Pacer into a Ranger . No paint on the Wheel covers is another visual difference between the Ranger and the rest on the '58 MY lineup  .  I still wait for Citations and Corsairs . Citations are the Cream of the Cream .. Thanx ..