Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Chevy Nova 4dr POLICE

DEL

On 12/14/2018 at 10:34 AM, disconovaman said:

Hmmmm, Dwayne Sounds like an interesting story..

Pretty nice surprise to see the updates though huh?

Well, it was an illness, and I'll just say I've probably been worse off at some point earlier but i really don't remember when.

And, it WAS a lovely development!  The wonderful GM casting elves(GregMike) have put to good use their time and effort on this one as well.  Another beautiful edition to the catalogue.

On 2.5.2018 at 6:43 PM, DEL said:

And in addition as a progress report, I sourced some pretty accurate looking Hubcaps that are almost 100% perfect for the 76-78 Police Novas.  See what you think..

180501 - 78 Nova getting close - Hubcaps (1).JPG

I like this project a lot and I find it very tempting but I do see that those hubcaps also look very similar to what I got on my 1:1 65 Dodge. Where do they come from? Are they aviable separatley?

On 12/16/2018 at 9:46 AM, disconovaman said:

Oh, Sorry to hear that...?? I hope you're feeling better now... Our health isn't a laughing matter. We need you well so you can surprise us with these great modeling projects.?

I am, thanks for saying so.   I sat around praying for winter and relief from upper 90's & high humidity levels all summer.  The old adage of being careful what you ask for came to play.  Thing is we had virtually no fall here.  One day it was the above and in the course of a week we got miserable, wet, freezing temps.  Just threw a switch from summer to winter.  I generally don't get sick (nt like THAT, anyway) in the summer..

On 12/16/2018 at 10:02 AM, Atmobil said:

I like this project a lot and I find it very tempting but I do see that those hubcaps also look very similar to what I got on my 1:1 65 Dodge. Where do they come from? Are they available separately?

They are.  After putting out a call to those in the know and determining that no kit I know of ever had the proper button caps (first set pic) I moved on to the scouring the net and eBay to see what other kits HC's offered that could be close, modded or altered. Absolute closest I could find after some searching was the second set/pic.  The actual Nova cap has an inset ring at the edge, the closest I could find had a small ridge but otherwise was perfect in size, shape and dimension.  Hope that helps you.

75-79 Chevy Nova Dog Dish Hubcaps c.jpg

Parts by Parks # 6018  Hubcaps   edt.jpg

Edited by DEL

17 minutes ago, DEL said:

I am, thanks for saying so.   I sat around praying for winter and relief from upper 90's & high humidity levels all summer.  The old adage of being careful what you ask for came to play.  Thing is we had virtually no fall here.  One day it was the above and in the course of a week we got miserable, wet, freezing temps.  Just threw a switch from summer to winter.  I generally don't get sick (nt like THAT, anyway) in the summer..

They are.  After putting out a call to those in the know and determining that no kit I know of ever had the proper button caps (first set pic) I moved on to the scouring the net and eBay to see what other kits HC's offered that could be close, modded or altered. Absolute closest I could find after some searching was the second set/pic.  The actual Nova cap has an inset ring at the edge, the closest I could find had a small ridge but otherwise was perfect in size, shape and dimension.  Hope that helps you.

75-79 Chevy Nova Dog Dish Hubcaps c.jpg

Parts by Parks # 6018  Hubcaps   edt.jpg

Wow, thank you very much!!
And that is spot on late 50s Mopar aswell. The hubcaps that I got on my 65 Dodge is actually for a 57 Plymouth. They are the same as the original ones but shiny instead of painted.

Here is a picture of the original one:
IMG_9569.jpg

And here you can see the ones I got now:
IMG_0477.jpg

Hi Dwayne good to know you are better.  Me, not so much.  On January 3rd, I am scheduled to remove my right kidney.  A year ago in October, I had a piece removed but now a growth is on it again.

Mike came over yesterday and we worked on parts.  I think the last Nova part to make a mold of is the interior tub.  Then the kits can start being made.

Edited by Greg Wann

Geez Greg, Sorry to hear that.  I went to ER a year ago with bad stomach pain and an x-ray caught the edge of 'something' on my kidney at that time. Turned out to be a abscess on my R kidney.  Had surgery to remove last January.   This last thing was a 3+ week bout with bronchial pneumonia.  And as I used to say when I was a radio DJ in high school; the hits just keep coming.  But enuff of me.

I hope it goes well and you bounce back well and quickly.  We'll talk soon.

• 3 weeks later...

A question for the knowledgable Nova modeling enthusiasts in residence: What happened to the MPC Squad Rod? 

When I obtained a kit early last year to build the 4dr Nova they were everywhere and very economical.  So much so the conversion kit here was created as a trans-kit for economy to the buyer and allow them to choose what version of chassis they wished to use. 

Now they have almost vanished from eBay and the ones that remain are steadily rising in price.  Was this a limited run/time offering? I really thought it would be more readily available.  Very dismaying...

UPDATE:  Well it seems it is a discontinued model and pretty much out of stock in many locations.  Some places have even begun to charge the 'silly prices' for the kit. I believe this was re-popped by Round 2, so I'm a bit surprised it was only a limited time offering.  Oh, well...

Edited by DEL

I wasn't aware that Round 2 had already discontinued the kit... I guess it makes sence now to me because yours is the only one I can think of that was even on the fourm... Not many people are building them for sure... Much to real life... the 4th gen nova gets the shade agian.☹ 

I'd like to beleive it is the old tired Mpc tooling and not the subject matter but I'm just fooling myself sadly... I still love them and I think the 4 door Resin will sell well... I hope...?

2 hours ago, DEL said:

Now they have almost vanished from eBay and the ones that remain are steadily rising in price.  Was this a limited run/time offering? I really thought it would be more readily available.

I think there was just some pent up demand for a '70s Nova, so it sold briskly. There is at least one place online, which I found by Googling, which has the kit for just under $21, so nothing crazy yet. Plus, it's entirely possible Round2 may reissue a very similar version again, like they did with the Gremlin kits.

3 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

I made it home alive. 

Awesome! God Bless you Greg! My Ex (my son's mom) needs a kidney and she has been dealing with failing kidneys for awhile... I can't imagine having one removed. Nice to know you made it out... I think it takes alot of soul searching to donate an organ...The good thing is living donors are first on the list if they ever need one...

On 1/10/2019 at 5:14 AM, 66belair said:

You are good man, God Bless you!

He IS...  and I was gratified to receive a call from him yesterday sounding in good spirits. 

I hope you keep feeling more betters,  Greg..