Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Chevy Nova 4dr POLICE

DEL

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Doing a fantastic job on this one. :)

Thank you Sir!

Anthony, it would seem the good folks at MPC did you a big favor with that 2dr Sport Nova kit.  I guess the only thing different was the grille/header?  Which you worked on I could see.

As Danno and a couple of others said here though I never drove one of these I bet it was a blast to drive.  My dept. got an unmarked 1982 Chevy Malibu. It came with the smog-choked emissions/power killer 305 and a  :wacko: o... God, ...a 2bbl.  STILL, I was just amazed at how quick and peppy the little thing was.  I almost lost it on wet roads a couple of times, and while I preferred the official full-sized look of the LTD, Impala or Diplomat for day to day patrol, the Malibu was fun for short trips around the state.  One of our guys got t-boned in it by a red-light runner so it died a quick, young death in less than a year or so and almost no miles. I was sorry to see it go.  So I can certainly understand the appeal of the 4dr Nova with a 350 4BBL.

In addition to the multitude of many late model ex-copcars I owned over the eyars as personal DD's, I also have had a Trans Am, Monte Carlo SS, an LTD LX.  The LTD LX was a 1985, and it was the decked out Fox-body mini LTD with a 302 & throttle body fuel injection.  A 4dr Mustang in effect.  It was a blast to drive as well.  I also currently own a 1993Mustang SSP, currently undergoing a glacial resto.  Here is a pic of it (the exact car I now own. Not another like it, THE very car) back in it's day that someone snapped and put on the net way back whenever.  The second pic is of it a couple years ago before I started the resto.  I bought it from the state in 2002, it was the last they disposed of out of only 12 they had bought that year.  I have not put 5 miles on it in my 16 years of ownership.

LSP 93 Mustang - F-16 - lo-res Copy.jpg

090301 - LSP 83 SSP (11) - Copy.JPG

Good lookin car Dwayne! Mustangs make Awesome Cop/Pacer cars. I had a friend (Wes) who had a 90 Fox notch Ex cop car from Florida. After service it went to Georga then he found it and it came to Va. The story he told was that the car was used to pace speeders. It was dark jade green (unmarked). With these black 8 inch wheels and a small centercap. it looked tuff!

Of all the cars I've owned only two were hatchbacks. I guess mpc definitely had the market dialed in when they tooled the kit. In real life the hatchback nova had less production numbers than the trunk car.

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I guess mpc definitely had the market dialed in when they tooled the kit. In real life the hatchback nova had less production numbers than the trunk car.

That's FUNNY!  Was MPC the only kitmaker to do a 75-78 Nova?  I thought I heard mention of AMT?  The fact that the 9C1 version had the flat plain stretched cowhide vinyl seats makes the interior a lot simpler to do for obvious reasons.  What is quite a bit more intricate is to try and replicate the kit's seat fabric pattern on the new extended 'shoulder' portions of the upper back cushions.  Sometimes it's rather simple, sometimes darn near impossible to get an acceptable ingrained extension of the upholstery.  But it must be done!

Maybe those other body parts will be in the 'ol model mailbox when I get home.. :-)

Yes, Amt did a 75-79 nova too... also a hatchback. They had to be competeing with Mpc with this model. Not as good as the Mpc kit (IMO). The poportions of this kit are way off, not nearly as accurate as the mpc kit (wheelwells, and the top is too short...looks chopped.)

I've built many of these as well..  the parts on the way are from this kit... (taillights and nova script). 

We had a Hot wheels challange in our local club and I built the Hot wheels that should've been. A disco nova has never been done yet. Here are some pics of the hot wheels 1:25 76 nova... and my disconova junkyard... 

Screenshot_20180424-145141.jpg

Screenshot_20180424-145243.jpg

20180419_182238.jpg

Screenshot_20180424-151054.jpg

Screenshot_20180424-151133.jpg

Screenshot_20180424-151304.jpg

You are without a doubt the DiscoNovaMan.

I was a radio DJ in high school and the first couple years of my working life prior to LE.  I was a part of the "Disco Sucks" movement back then. ... But I like a good bit of it now.  Time gives perspective. Especially by comparison to TODAY'S garf that masquerades as 'music'.  Never thought it'd leave me but it did.\

Still, I'm ah, ah, ah ah, Stayin Allliiivvveee..YEAH.  :D

PS: That AMT does look funny..

Edited by DEL

A title that I've earned over the years. That is for sure! Disco was never apart of my life. Country Music was the only thing I ever heard until about 85. I definitely was around during the Disco days but not apart of it at all. I like all the classics in music now. I'm too old to understand new music today I gave up about 5 years ago. Lol! I've owned 18 75-79 novas... here is one of my favorites. I owned it from and 98-2012.

Screenshot_20180424-203003.jpg

Anthony, that is a sharp ride and I understand why you kept it so long. I owned my 78 LTD from 1982-2008.  I had sworn all along only death would wrest it from me. Then The Hell happened in 2008, as it did to so many others but my personal one had added another component; divorce.  I needed cash to keep someone out of my retirement and in an extreme moment of weakness, I let myself believe I was finally 'done' with the 78 and could let it go and would not miss it. So I sold it. God, I was SO wrong. Bad, BAAAD thing to have done. The div despondency passed, the MAJOR seller's remorse every day since HAS NOT. I should NEVER have done that.  Still, I do hope to recover it one day, and if I don't, I still have another one I could restore but boy o boy is it in rough shape. 

Jeff, if you have any others of my SSP I would be eternally grateful for them. I have it torn down at the moment and all the separate components restored and boxed up waiting for the climb back up the hill to the re-build and completion.  Heck, I even have all the period police equipment and markings to boot.

LSP - MSquad 3 (1).JPG

LSP - MSquad 2 (2).JPG

LSP - MSquad  (2).JPG

Another bang up job on this Nova Dwayne! I'll be in the market for one when they are available. I was with Lake Wales PD in Florida from 87-2014, they had Novas before my time, so unfortunately I never drove one, but the "old" guys swear by them, still say they were the best cars we ever had!! They had them in 77 and 78, all with the 350, the local sheriff's office had Novas too, but with 305s. Of course our guys would regularly blow their doors off any time they got the chance. You mentioned the 84-85 baby LTD somewhere in your thread, any thoughts of trying to fashion up one of those? FHP had those for a couple of years, fast little cars, but some of the guys didn't like 'em, said they were too small. I had a couple of 85 LTD LX sedans, they were quick too, like you said, 4 door Mustang!! Back to the Nova, I have a junker I tried to convert to a 4 door years ago, if there is anything you might need from it just let me know. I think it's the AMT but not sure.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:46 PM, DEL said:

Mr. Ron,

Your pic makes you look like the Dude.  Abiding... ;)

And great minds think alike: Anything to do with a police car is cool.   As the Brits might say, Too Right!  Copcar models were what got me out of Battleships and sailing naval vessels.I bought the Chevy caprice annuals starting back around '71 or so. MPC so helpfully threw in that single bubble light! 

FS B.jpg

Ah! That's my favorite beacon ever, the good ol' Federal  CJ184! I know somebody that's making them from scratch, does a really nice job! His name is David Parsley and he had a page on Facebook if you want to check it out.

10 hours ago, rkeel said:

rkeel said:

Another bang up job on this Nova Dwayne! I'll be in the market for one when they are available.  THANKS, Ronnie!  I will let you know!

I was with Lake Wales PD in Florida from 87-2014, they had Novas before my time, so, unfortunately, I never drove one,     I know what you mean. I became a deputy sheriff in 1980 and they were just phasing out the last of the big block interceptors of the 70's (that I dearly wanted to drive) and here came the smog-choked emission freaked 305's, 318’s and 351's of the 80's. God, how we suffered.

You mentioned the 84-85 baby LTD somewhere in your thread, any thoughts of trying to fashion up one of those? FHP had those for a couple of years  I know they did, I  remember seeing those baby LTDs of the FHP back in the late 80's as I passed through Florida .  And yes, I do intend to do that car to at one point.  I already have the donor kit!

Back to the Nova, I have a junker I tried to convert to a 4 door years ago, if there is anything you might need from it just let me know. I think it's the AMT but not sure.  Sure!  I take donations for current & future projects. I’d much rather work over something like that & give it a new purpose than destroy a whole kit just to get the body, chassis or grille, etc. I make use of everything in one way or another, on one project or another. The Basic 4dr Nova is done, but you never know what other car I could build from that body. My 1991 Ford Crown Vic started life as a Monogram 1969 Roadrunner.  You can’t see any vestige of the original car!  I’ll PM you..

Well, I opened up the ModeMailBox last Saturday and found a single lone robin's egg blue Easter pastel colored envelope.  I brought it inside & sat down at my workbench & opened it up after noting the return address from Anthony and thinking he must'v had a few extra Easter envelopes left over..  And inside was a CARD.  With Nova PARTS!  I literally laughed out loud!

Thank you Anthony!  And you are most welcome as well.. :D

180426 - More parts & .. a CARD. (4).JPG

180426 - More parts & .. a CARD. (5).JPG

180426 - More parts & .. a CARD. (6).JPG

180426 - More parts & .. a CARD. (7).JPG

And in addition as a progress report, I sourced some pretty accurate looking Hubcaps that are almost 100% perfect for the 76-78 Police Novas.  See what you think..

180501 - 78 Nova getting close - Hubcaps (1).JPG

180501 - 78 Nova getting close - Hubcaps (6).JPG

180501 - 78 Nova getting close - Hubcaps (2).JPG

180501 - 78 Nova getting close - Hubcaps (4).JPG

180501 - 78 Nova getting close - Hubcaps (5).JPG

180501 - 78 Nova getting close - Hubcaps (7).JPG

180501 - 78 Nova getting close - Hubcaps (8).JPG

180501 - 78 Nova getting close - Hubcaps (3).JPG

!!!!! ????? Nice to be Appreciated  huh Dwayne? I know I'm appreciated on the fourm from all the comments and the validation is just as valuable as seeing members work on all the cool models. The Nova looks great and those wheels and hubcaps are perfect for the project. Keep up the great work!

I have been watching the metamorphoses of the Nova Hatchback into the 4 door Sedan you have now. Hard to believe if I hadn't seen it happen. The body looks spot on and I may build my first Law Enforcement model if this come out in Resin.

Espo, Thank you!  I do hope we can get it out sometime very soon!

OCF: If you think it sits low NOW, you should have seen it at it's natural allocated ride height. The top of the rear wheel arc was even with the top of the wheel well opening!  If you look at rocker panel area you can see the side of the frame/chassis plate which is supposed to be up inside the body. I 'propped' it up a bit. 

Fear not. I will correct what MPC hath wrought and get it perched up a bit higher there before i am done..

11 hours ago, Agent G said:

PO ED Atherton, District 9, circa 1977.

Notice the cloth interior.

Image may contain: 1 person, car and outdoor

Huh?  Did you mean to post a pic?  Does not compute, Will Robinson..

Currently, I am scratchbuilding a front bench seat for it. When done it will be plain, flat stretched cowhide like the deck of an aircraft carrier and whatever color you want to paint it.  Like so:

78 Chevy Nova La. County SO interior.jpg

On 5/4/2018 at 10:53 PM, Agent G said:

Nothing sinister, just showing a reference. 

G

No sinister intentions taken.  Just thought if you were trying to impart some info or guidance I didn't want to miss it.

Moving on..  A couple of thrilling pics of the front bench seat build for the Nova 9C1.  After the thrills, you may have to take tomorrow off from work. MAy want to save for Sat. so you have a day to recover. :D

First off had to remove that pesky trans tunnel console shift housing and create a plain-jane tranny tunnel.  Then you start with a rounded "L" cut from sheet styrene. Put a back, then a front  on the backrest.

180506 - Nova Bench seat bld.JPG

180507 - Nova Bench seat bld (2).JPG

180507 - Nova Bench seat bld (1).JPG

Edited by DEL

Now that looks about perfect. 

Our Fleet Services had a porter who believed Armorall was invented just for police cars. When he Armoralled one of those plain vinyl bench seats, it was like driving while sitting on a Slip n Slide. 

G